Menu

Campus visit (w/covid restrictions) report-Christian Brothers University, Memphis TN

Dmmetler

We did a personal tour/campus visit to CBU here in Memphis. DD added CBU to her common app mostly because of the idea that "well, if it turns out that I don't want to live on campus, it might be nice to have some local options", so she has applied to all four local 4 yr+ schools. 

CBU is a sweet little college with a strong focus on engineering. It's a pretty campus in the old Midtown area of Memphis (it is literally on the SE side of the big park with the zoo. Rhodes is on the North Central side of the same park/zoo). CBU has less than 2000 students, and only about 30% live on campus, with the rest living off campus in either rental apartments or with family.  It's a self contained, fairly small, very walkable and flat campus. 

We couldn't see dorms or eat in the cafeteria. We got a personal tour through campus, met the college of arts and sciences dean, and got to see the outside of buildings and a few indoor areas. I'm not sure how much of the emptiness was due to COVID and how much was due to "Friday afternoon at a small, predominantly commuter school". The admissions counselor seemed to be trying to match DD's interests, but honestly, they don't have the specifics that tend to attract DD, and they are not primarily a research school.  The cafeterias were closed at the time, and the guide wasn't sure how vegetarian friendly it would be for DD. Housing is suite style, although again we didn't get to see more than photos and a floor plan. Cars are allowed on campus (and, indeed, you would need one to get anywhere. Even the cited "Close to campus" Cooper-Young area would be a difficult walk in some very pedestrian unfriendly areas). I think the admissions counselor was a little off her game by having someone who is local, but isn't attending one of the affiliated high schools that spends a lot of time at CBU. 

They seemed to be making a real effort during covid to make outside spaces attractive to students and to encourage spending time outside. There were definitely signs that there are efforts going to keep students connected virtually and through outdoor activities. 

All in all, DD feels it has a nice vibe, but that, honestly, she doesn't think there is much there for her-her areas of interest simply aren't where the school offers any more than any other small to medium liberal arts college. And, to be honest, it is one of the schools where she is unlikely to get a good financial package, because their top competitive scholarships really would only bring them to the level of being equivalent to the merit she qualifies for automatically at state U's and most neighboring states. Having said that, I could see it being a very nice school for the right student. 

• Like 5

Thanks for sharing. 

I also am requiring my son to apply to the local university as a just in case. He's not thrilled about attending, but I want him to have the option if next year also looks grim.

At least for him, there is an adequate engineering department. They might not be the world's most equipped, but they seem very supportive of students, rather than seeking to weed them out.

For the students I work with, I've been suggesting they have backup plans to include a plan for if the pandemic continues well into 2021 (which looks likely). 

• Like 1

Unfortunately, it really looks like none of the local programs are a great fit for DD, and since she is already transferring in a ton of gen ed credits, she can't even reasonably plan to do a year of gen eds and then transfer elsewhere, which seems to be the plan for most of the graduating seniors locally if campuses aren't back to normal by fall (the CC's numbers are WAY up this fall). We're just plain too urban for animal science or wildlife biology, apparently. 

• Like 2

I don't really know your daughter other than what you share on here.  But I agree with you that CBU is not quite right fit for her.  My oldest loved it there.  She was electrical engineering/comp sci/math major.  They had research in engineering, but I can't see your daughter's resarch interest in the school of science there.  My EE/comp sci/math daughter had a lot of opportunities in research and attending conferences every year.  But as you already know, the school of engineering is not the school of sciences.  I say that not so much for your benefit but in case random person is reading more for smaller engineering school.

social wise: I picture your daughter probably end up in one of the gaming groups on campus though.  There was some nerd/geek culture in engineering.  My oldest was right there in the midst of every friday night in the cooper wilson building playing D and D with the math advisor who was the DM of the game.

for wildlife, you'd have to cross the border to the south, or any direction really.  kinda sad given we have a nice zoo kinda near cbu campus.  it could be a research partner if only right faculty and students ... right? 

It’s actually kind of frustrating that neither CBU nor Rhodes really partners with the zoo in biology/zoology. Rhodes does, some, in business and marketing, but not really in science. They are both so close to the zoo, but don’t seem to take advantage of it except for “you have Overton park right here”. 

It truly is a lovely little school for the right student, and I could see it being a great fit for a kid who wants engineering, especially. 

• Like 2