Menu

Did your parents talk to you about money when you were a kid?

mommyoffive

No and I still dont have good access to their financial information... despite the fact that I know i am the executor of their estates. My brothers are both financial messes. 

I know my grandfather didnt believe in life insurance so I'm pretty sure they don't have any either. Their retirement plan seems to be my dad will just keep working forever (he's in his 70s). Dad uses the VA for healthcare and mom is on Medicare.

When I was growing up they had cards for every store in town. When my dad got laid off (long after I was an adult and moved away) they lost their house. 

I remember in High School thinking I couldn't join show choir because of the expensive dress... and that there was no way we could afford for me to be an exchange student, but I did both. 

I never needed their info for FAFSA because I was married. So I have never had a solid feeling for their finances. 

My kids dont know all the details of our finances but they've been taught budgeting and saving and even met with our financial advisor...and our oldest (who would be our executor if something were to happen) does know the details of our investments, savings, insurance, etc.