Menu

I hate shopping for blue jeans....HELP!!!

kfeusse

I need to find some great blue jeans...and right now, not being able to try clothes on in most stores is annoying....

The biggest issue I have is finding jeans with some tummy control.  Oh, I can't afford expensive jeans...no matter how great they are....

Any suggestions???

thanks. 

I'm not sure what you might consider expensive, but I recommend Stitch Fix at the lowest price point and asking for just jeans to try on. Then keeping what you like from them and buying more of that kind from Amazon or wherever.

But that still may be too expensive depending on what your budget is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I had to replenish my jeans supply so I grab about ten from Nordstrom Rack, tried them at home then return those that didn’t fit well. For tummy control, those with some spandex/elastane and the button fly kind fits me better. Mine are all bought for under $20 on sale.

really? a button fly is good for that?  that is interesting.  I always thought of those as annoying...might have to try those out. 

I have no idea on brands or anything, because I tend to do the same thing -- grab all the ones in my price range/either side of my side range, try them ALL on, sit down, bend over, stand up, lean down to pick stuff up off the floor, etc, and keep what fits, put back/return the rest. 

BUT, a tip that generally works (try it at home with jeans that fit/pants that fit first, just in case) is that you can take the pair of jeans, and wrap the closed waistband around your neck. The ends should touch but not overlap. If so, it should fit your waist. (so, literally, hold it out in front of you, put it at your neck, and then wrap it behind your neck, just like that). 

I have no idea why this works, but it does. Not 100% full proof, but it will eliminate the "oops, no, that's too small" or the "oh, wow, nope, too big" right away (better than holding it up to your hips/waist area). 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I'm not sure what you might consider expensive, but I recommend Stitch Fix at the lowest price point and asking for just jeans to try on. Then keeping what you like from them and buying more of that kind from Amazon or wherever.

But that still may be too expensive depending on what your budget is.

Agreed. Stitch Fix seems to have a magical ability to find pants and jeans that fit and flatter. I don't know how they do it!

• Like 1

My daughter and I were just talking about this. She is very curvy--her waist to hip ratio makes it super difficult to find jeans that fit right. She called me to tell me she basically found her HG of jeans--American Eagle. They are currently on sale B1 get half off second pair. She raves about how well they fit her. They are true high rise, so they have good tummy control. So if you have an American Eagle, maybe give them a try. 

25 minutes ago, kfeusse said:

really? a button fly is good for that?  that is interesting.  I always thought of those as annoying...might have to try those out. 

Button fly seems to have more control, like a corset. While zip closures tend to just “warp” if I have a bloated tummy.

I've tried a few pairs from Loft that have some stretch and they work well with my tummy. They have been having some amazing sales lately. I love the girlfriend chinos, too and have been choosing to wear them over denim lately. The return process is easy with free shipping.

I had a lot of success with the Levi's automated size and fit finder. It asks things like your age, weight, height, best fitting jeans brand and size, maybe if you've had kids, and things like that. It was great because it directed me to jeans that make a 39-year-old mom look good. (Just bought two more pairs today, before I saw this thread. For me, the 315, which have some stretch and just the right amount of tummy control, fit perfectly.)

Emily