Menu

Personal covid experiences

1 minute ago, Wheres Toto said:

My 26 year old daughter and her boyfriend both have it.   He lost his sense of smell and taste.  She's mainly had nasty cold symptoms - very congested, slight sore throat, tired.   She's been quarantining for about a week already but just got her positive test results a couple days ago.  She started quarantining when she started showing symptoms. 

Oh no 😞 . I hope she has a mild case. Most people her age do. 

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mother in law died of covid related stuff this afternoon. 

Thank you.   I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not he

Our friend in Manaus, Brazil did not make it. He died this morning. I am confident he is in a place of no more suffering and death, but am so sad for his precious family. He leaves behind 12 children,

I posted here awhile back when my dd got Covid...  She had the typical symptoms (chills, fever) for a week or so, and then lost her sense of taste and smell.  Her taste and smell did return slowly over time (maybe 4 weeks?) but it took a few more weeks for the sting in her nostrils to go away.  Now it's been several months since she had it (6 or so?), but about a month ago, she began experiencing "Parosmia"  -- really strange.  Smells she normally liked before, now taste foul, like old, really bad perfume.  It starts out as a smell but then enters into her tastes too.  It's so strange, since she did go a few months after she was finally done with Covid symptoms (or so she thought) until this started up!  (She's in her 20's.)  

• Sad 11
1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I posted here awhile back when my dd got Covid...  She had the typical symptoms (chills, fever) for a week or so, and then lost her sense of taste and smell.  Her taste and smell did return slowly over time (maybe 4 weeks?) but it took a few more weeks for the sting in her nostrils to go away.  Now it's been several months since she had it (6 or so?), but about a month ago, she began experiencing "Parosmia"  -- really strange.  Smells she normally liked before, now taste foul, like old, really bad perfume.  It starts out as a smell but then enters into her tastes too.  It's so strange, since she did go a few months after she was finally done with Covid symptoms (or so she thought) until this started up!  (She's in her 20's.)  

You probably already know this but zinc imbalances can cause issues with taste and smell, so it may be worth checking her levels, if you haven’t already.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I heard an explanation of this. Most smells are made up of many elements that on their own don't necessarily smell good. When you lose the ability to smell some of the elements, the residue may be unpleasant. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
On 2/9/2021 at 7:49 PM, chiguirre said:

Dh's 90 yo aunt died after being hospitalized for 3 weeks. She travelled by air to visit her dd for Christmas and the whole family came down with Covid in early January. 

I am so sorry for your loss. 

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

I hate this stupid disease. I hope this goes away for her soon. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

You probably already know this but zinc imbalances can cause issues with taste and smell, so it may be worth checking her levels, if you haven’t already.

I didn't know that...  I'll pass that on to her!

3 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I heard an explanation of this. Most smells are made up of many elements that on their own don't necessarily smell good. When you lose the ability to smell some of the elements, the residue may be unpleasant. 

I've been reading explanations on it, but this one is the clearest one yet.  Thanks.  That makes sense.  

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

DD just flew back to Austria (from Texas) where she is in grad school.  She had to have a negative test (not a rapid test) with the sample collected no more than 72 hours before boarding her flight.  She was concerned about turn-around times in testing so she had two tests at two different locations, hoping that she would get the results back in time--she did and both came back negative.  Then, she also had to have a negative rapid test when boarding the flight.

She arrived in Austria on Sunday.  She has to quarantine at her apartment.  She said that the police showed up at her apartment today to see if she was there.  

• Like 14
On 2/16/2021 at 8:47 PM, J-rap said:

I've been reading explanations on it, but this one is the clearest one yet.  Thanks.  That makes sense.  

I’ve been dealing with this. It makes sense.

It is annoying but really difficult. Both eating and smelling, because everything tastes bad as well.

• Sad 4

Not a member of the lucky 1/3. 

Daniel Griffin wasn’t sure what to expect when his patients with chronic COVID-19 symptoms started getting vaccinated. There was some concern that the shots might make things worse by triggering the immune system. Luckily, the opposite seemed to be true. 

“I started getting texts and calls from some of my colleagues saying hey, are your patients with long COVID reporting that they’re feeling better after the vaccine?” says Griffin, an infectious diseases clinician and researcher at Columbia University. When he started talking with patients, he saw that they were. “It’s not 100 percent, but it does seem like to be around a third,” he says. 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22308965/covid-vaccine-shots-symptoms-improve-chronic-long-haulers

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, Plum said:

Not a member of the lucky 1/3. 

Daniel Griffin wasn’t sure what to expect when his patients with chronic COVID-19 symptoms started getting vaccinated. There was some concern that the shots might make things worse by triggering the immune system. Luckily, the opposite seemed to be true. 

“I started getting texts and calls from some of my colleagues saying hey, are your patients with long COVID reporting that they’re feeling better after the vaccine?” says Griffin, an infectious diseases clinician and researcher at Columbia University. When he started talking with patients, he saw that they were. “It’s not 100 percent, but it does seem like to be around a third,” he says. 

https://www.theverge.com/2021/3/2/22308965/covid-vaccine-shots-symptoms-improve-chronic-long-haulers

I'd be curious if they are tracking this. It seems like some people feel better and some feel worse, and it's not clear why or who is going to be who. 

• Like 1

And my neighbor now has Covid. Well, she moved out of into an apartment with kids, but is back and forth to do laundry and such, so sort of still my neighbor? She posted yesterday morning about being annoyed because on monday the school sent her daughter home for a fever, and she says that the daughter is just sunburned, hence the higher skin temp. And on Tuesday they wouldn't let her back without a negative covid test, so she had to take her to get a rapid test (negative) and how this is all crazy. Then, later yesterday, a few hours after complaining about how screening is too rigorous, my neighbor, not the daughter, tested positive for Covid. AFTER getting the school to take the kid back because kicked up a fuss. After attending a big concert at a mega church a few days before. Etc etc.

• Sad 15

I’m sick. 

Dh and I went on our first official outing since the pandemic started. I have been so, so careful. The outing was my idea. We went to an RV show. It was in a huge convention center so huge open space, they took temps before admission, everyone was masked. We socially distanced. It wasn’t crowded. We didn’t spend more than 4 or 5 minutes at the most in any one motorhome. Probably not that long. We were there about 2 hours. We also went to a restaurant afterwards and ate indoors which is also a first since this started. We were the only people there until about the time we were leaving. A couple of people were in and out for take out. This was Saturday. Monday evening I didn’t feel great— tired, muscles aches—so went to bed early. Similar last night. I have CFS/ME, so this isn’t unheard of for me. Again today I was fine until about 4 pm. Started getting the same fatigue and muscles aches. I went to bed about 6. Then GI symptoms started. First D, then nausea, and I was violently ill once )praying that’s it. I took a Zofran afterwards). I have no respiratory symptoms, but norovirus isn’t a thing this year, is it??? My temp is 99-99.3. 

Im scared tbh. I have no idea what to expect. GI symptoms are associated with severe illness apparently. 

It felt so good to get out. 😢 Don’t do it. I let the February cabin fever get the best of me. 

• Sad 30
46 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’m sick. 

Dh and I went on our first official outing since the pandemic started. I have been so, so careful. The outing was my idea. We went to an RV show. It was in a huge convention center so huge open space, they took temps before admission, everyone was masked. We socially distanced. It wasn’t crowded. We didn’t spend more than 4 or 5 minutes at the most in any one motorhome. Probably not that long. We were there about 2 hours. We also went to a restaurant afterwards and ate indoors which is also a first since this started. We were the only people there until about the time we were leaving. A couple of people were in and out for take out. This was Saturday. Monday evening I didn’t feel great— tired, muscles aches—so went to bed early. Similar last night. I have CFS/ME, so this isn’t unheard of for me. Again today I was fine until about 4 pm. Started getting the same fatigue and muscles aches. I went to bed about 6. Then GI symptoms started. First D, then nausea, and I was violently ill once )praying that’s it. I took a Zofran afterwards). I have no respiratory symptoms, but norovirus isn’t a thing this year, is it??? My temp is 99-99.3. 

Im scared tbh. I have no idea what to expect. GI symptoms are associated with severe illness apparently. 

It felt so good to get out. 😢 Don’t do it. I let the February cabin fever get the best of me. 

Sending lots of good thoughts your way.  I hope you feel better soon and that it isn't Covid.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m sick. 

Hoping for the best for you.  We have relaxed a lot because Covid quarantine seems to be working here but I’ve noticed we keep getting sick with average colds etc.  hopefully maybe that’s all it is for you 😞 

• Like 2

Right now I’m hoping for a UTI. The past couple of hours my fever is up to 100.2, I’m weirdly aware of my bladder, a little achey in the area, and I feel like I need to go but my bladder is nowhere close to full. 

I broke down and took Tylenol cause I cannot sleep. UTI is probably wishful thinking. Kinda doubt UTI causes all these muscle aches. 

• Sad 1
15 minutes ago, popmom said:

Right now I’m hoping for a UTI. The past couple of hours my fever is up to 100.2, I’m weirdly aware of my bladder, a little achey in the area, and I feel like I need to go but my bladder is nowhere close to full. 

I broke down and took Tylenol cause I cannot sleep. UTI is probably wishful thinking. Kinda doubt UTI causes all these muscle aches. 

You need to be checked out. For a UTI as well as Covid. A UTI can progress to a kidney infection if untreated. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You need to be checked out. For a UTI as well as Covid. A UTI can progress to a kidney infection if untreated. 

I’m definitely getting it checked out. My sister texted me this morning and said her son has a stomach virus. She said she’s heard it’s going around. I’m still getting tested for COVID because I still have fever of 100.8 this morning. 

We’ve all been relying a lot on alcohol sanitizer. My understanding is that alcohol doesn’t kill norovirus. Just no substitute for hand washing really. 

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1
6 minutes ago, popmom said:

I’m definitely getting it checked out. My sister texted me this morning and said her son has a stomach virus. She said she’s heard it’s going around. I’m still getting tested for COVID because I still have fever of 100.8 this morning. 

We’ve all been relying a lot on alcohol sanitizer. My understanding is that alcohol doesn’t kill norovirus. Just no substitute for hand washing really. 

Hopefully it's just a stomach bug. Which would suck, but at least better than COVID. 

• Like 1

I was on a zoom meeting recently and asked if everyone had received their vaccinations. I was going to offer to walk the older ladies through the registration process but most of them were recovering or in quarantine because their husbands were positive. 😞

• Sad 10
Just now, Starr said:

I was on a zoom meeting recently and asked if everyone had received their vaccinations. I was going to offer to walk the older ladies through the registration process but most of them were recovering or in quarantine because their husbands were positive. 😞

Oh no 😞 . Were they all OK? 

Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Oh no 😞 . Were they all OK? 

A couple seem fine and a couple have  loss of taste and smell, one recovering and one is long hall quite ill. It somehow took me by surprise. 

• Sad 2
20 hours ago, popmom said:

I’m sick. 

Just to give you a positive story. I had Covid last month and had some fatigue/nausea and gastro issues (as well as runny eyes and a stuffy nose with headaches). I lost my sense of taste and smell and still haven't gotten it back BUT even though I had all of those other issues they were relatively mild and now I'm back to feeling great. It may not mean a severe case for you.

I know a large number of people who have had it, unfortunately, and most were mild cases even though they had gastro issues. Anecdotal at best, though. I hope you're feeling better.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Just now, importswim said:

I know a large number of people who have had it, unfortunately, and most were mild cases even though they had gastro issues. Anecdotal at best, though. I hope you're feeling better.

I'm always curious about people who know lots of people who've had it. Mind relating the statistics for your sample? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm always curious about people who know lots of people who've had it. Mind relating the statistics for your sample? 

I'm not as mathy as you are so I'll try but it definitely won't be recorded properly and is entirely from who I can think of at the time. HA!

In my area I know 41 people including myself who have tested positive. There are probably more but I just informally went down my contact list on my phone and added up who I know personally that have tested positive. Out of those 41, 4 people were hospitalized (all over 70), and 2 died. 

I live in Florida, in an area where people are not being careful. Unfortunately, I got a blase with things and caught it recently off someone at a homeschool class.

I will say that the anxiety during covid of what could happen was much worse for me than the symptoms that I had. Mentally the what ifs after finding out I had tested positive were horrible.  

Anyway, I hope that helps answer your curiosity!

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, importswim said:

I'm not as mathy as you are so I'll try but it definitely won't be recorded properly and is entirely from who I can think of at the time. HA!

In my area I know 41 people including myself who have tested positive. There are probably more but I just informally went down my contact list on my phone and added up who I know personally that have tested positive. Out of those 41, 4 people were hospitalized (all over 70), and 2 died. 

I live in Florida, in an area where people are not being careful. Unfortunately, I got a blase with things and caught it recently off someone at a homeschool class.

I will say that the anxiety during covid of what could happen was much worse for me than the symptoms that I had. Mentally the what ifs after finding out I had tested positive were horrible.  

Anyway, I hope that helps answer your curiosity!

Definitely answers it! Do you know if there were any long haulers or any cases of MIS-C or any cases of unexplained strokes/heart issues afterwards? (I hope that's not too morbid. Just trying to get a full pictures!) 

5 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Definitely answers it! Do you know if there were any long haulers or any cases of MIS-C or any cases of unexplained strokes/heart issues afterwards? (I hope that's not too morbid. Just trying to get a full pictures!) 

None of those were children and other than myself I only know one other person who has had a child tested (both mine and the other child tested negative), so I'm assuming that would answer the MIS-C question? All kids that I know have been fine. I only know 1 teenager who lost their smell/taste and I didn't count them in my numbers (though they probably did have it and quarantined as if they did. So, my number of cases I "know" is probably higher than stated, I was pretty conservative with it)

No strokes/heart attacks or any other issues, however, can that happen any time after or is it just right after?

I just remembered someone told me they got Covid in December and were still dealing with issues with it (so that's 42). There were a couple that had lingering fatigue (but felt better after 2 months) and a lot still have issues with taste/smell (including me). This is highly anecdotal evidence, though, because I haven't spoken to a few of them in a couple of weeks and not everyone is quick to share.

• Like 2

Oh and get this, DH hasn't had it. He, thankfully, wasn't home when I got it and was able to stay out of town while I was in quarantine. 

He's an airline pilot who has been working constantly flying this past year. That's craziness to me. I'm hoping he can get his vaccine soon!

5 minutes ago, importswim said:

None of those were children and other than myself I only know one other person who has had a child tested (both mine and the other child tested negative), so I'm assuming that would answer the MIS-C question? All kids that I know have been fine. I only know 1 teenager who lost their smell/taste and I didn't count them in my numbers (though they probably did have it and quarantined as if they did. So, my number of cases I "know" is probably higher than stated, I was pretty conservative with it)

I think the oldest ages for MIS-C have been early 20s, and it's most common in actual kids. 

No strokes/heart attacks or any other issues, however, can that happen any time after or is it just right after?

I think it can be a while. Months. And honestly, someone is going to need to track the statistics -- we don't know how long it can be. 

I just remembered someone told me they got Covid in December and were still dealing with issues with it (so that's 42). There were a couple that had lingering fatigue (but felt better after 2 months) and a lot still have issues with taste/smell (including me). This is highly anecdotal evidence, though, because I haven't spoken to a few of them in a couple of weeks and not everyone is quick to share.

As I like to tell people... the original saying is "the plural of anecdote IS data" 😉

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I think the oldest ages for MIS-C have been early 20s, and it's most common in actual kids. 

I think it can be a while. Months. And honestly, someone is going to need to track the statistics -- we don't know how long it can be. 

As I like to tell people... the original saying is "the plural of anecdote IS data" 😉

(I laughed at your data quote)

Well, thanks for adding to my anxiety. 🤪 I had to stop reading the big covid thread because I just didn't want to know.

2 minutes ago, importswim said:

Well, thanks for adding to my anxiety. 🤪 I had to stop reading the big covid thread because I just didn't want to know.

Sorry!!! 

Edited by Not_a_Number
2 minutes ago, importswim said:

Honestly, I think it's really rare. I wouldn't worry about it personally. I really wouldn't. 

• Thanks 1
41 minutes ago, importswim said:

Question for anybody—are you hearing about cases outside of close friends and family? I am not. It’s mum here. I can’t figure out if people are communicating only in person, if it’s hush-hush because people here are quite committed to it being “no big deal,” or we’re just pariahs at this point for taking it seriously and staying home.

Sometimes people say something on FB that seems to assume we already know they’ve had Covid, and that’s about the only time we hear unless it’s family.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, importswim said:

Nah, I'm not really upset. Don't feel bad.  I did avoid the other thread but I do know things like that exist. 

I am also currently avoiding the other thread, to be honest. 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, kbutton said:

Question for anybody—are you hearing about cases outside of close friends and family? I am not. It’s mum here. I can’t figure out if people are communicating only in person, if it’s hush-hush because people here are quite committed to it being “no big deal,” or we’re just pariahs at this point for taking it seriously and staying home.

Sometimes people say something on FB that seems to assume we already know they’ve had Covid, and that’s about the only time we hear unless it’s family.

People seem to be more open now about sharing that they've had it in the past. It's been a real issue for us of reading in between the lines at the time of their vagueness and then later having them confirm. I think it's probably the first two and I would hope not the last one, though I would probably say that it's other things, also.

I was very open about getting it and about that we were quarantining. I started to hear from more people during that time who had already had it (I hadn't known). Not unlike after I had a miscarriage and I had a lot of people confide in me about their previous experience.

I will say that I didn't want to tell my parents or DH's family (they don't live anywhere near us) as I didn't want to hear an I told you so or judgement for getting it because they are all have been pretty much in their houses since the beginning (which I am grateful they can do and have no problem with as it's their comfort level) and we have been more risky.....ETA: I did tell them right away, of course, and it wasn't great... but I dealt with it.

Edited by importswim

Here are my experiences for your stats

2 couples in their early 50’s very mild, no long term effects.

A mom 50 and her youngest who is 17. Mild, though she still feels tired sometimes. Her husband, a physician and their other two adult children didn’t get it. ( Home for Christmas)

A wife in her late 50’s got it from her parents who got it from a home health person. Her mom was very fragile.  She didn’t die from the Covid, but came home for hospice and died shortly after.

A female administrator in a school in her 60’s. Knocked her out with pneumonia but did not need to be hospitalized. Her husband got it as well, though not quite as bad.

Another person with multiple underlying conditions.  I think maybe she got it from her granddaughter because she hasn’t been going out. She seems to be doing ok.  I don’t know how you would distinguish long term problems with her other issues.

The senior adult pastor and his wife got it. They have MANY health issues. No problem for the husband. Wife was hospitalized, but she is out and fine.

Children’s minister and her husband got it. Husband works in a jail which is where he got it. No problems at all.

A police officer, young but very overweight, on a vent, has been released but long term problems. Still in rehab a month later.

A former student’s father got it and died after a few months in the hospital.  I think he and his mom had it as well but didn’t have to be hospitalized. Have no clue how they got it and don’t really know how they are doing.

Youth minister got it, but his wife and three children did not. ( Despite the wife sleeping in the same bed with him.) Very mild. Don’t know how he got it.

A young lady works for chickfila who is in her late twenties and was fairly mild. Did not give it to her roommate.

A woman in her 40’s and her high schooler got it.  Fairly mild. No long term effects. The husband and the other child didn’t get it, but they moved out because he was a doctor.  ( Just until quarantine was over.)

A  friend in his 70’s lost his sister to it in another state. The husband was also hospitalized but survived. Don’t know how he is doing now.

My daughter’s roommate and her mom had in August before college started. No long term effects despite some underlying conditions.

When our senior adult pastor asked how many had had Covid, half the people in our church raised their hands.  I would have to go back and look at prayer requests, but many of our couples in their 60’s and 70’s have had it, but have not been hospitalized. I’m not really involved right now, so I don’t have any clue if they have any long term effects, but I can see them on the video, so they are well enough to attend church…unmasked. Like other posters said, some of the people who raised their hands I knew were sick, but no one used the word Covid.

No one in our immediate family or extended family has had it: not grandparents, our siblings or their children or spouses.

• Thanks 1
On 3/4/2021 at 6:59 PM, importswim said:

Just to give you a positive story. I had Covid last month and had some fatigue/nausea and gastro issues (as well as runny eyes and a stuffy nose with headaches). I lost my sense of taste and smell and still haven't gotten it back BUT even though I had all of those other issues they were relatively mild and now I'm back to feeling great. It may not mean a severe case for you.

Thank you. 

I tested negative for both UTI and COVID, so it must have been a stomach bug. I’m so fixated on COVID, I forget other bugs are being passed around. I mean... I’ve managed to evade the stomach bug for decades and raising 4 kids—I’ve only caught it twice from them. So of course I freaked out and assumed I had COVID. How crappy is my luck? I did one ((subjectively risky)) thing. So, SO many people in my circles are traveling around with their kids for all kinds of sports and stuff—and “not living in fear”. Shopping for whatever. I can’t even. If they or their kids puke, they probably don’t even bother to get tested. Maybe I’m the crazy one. I’m ok with that. Just give me my shot please! ETA: I’m very grateful for my test results. And grateful to live where I would have excellent care no matter what.

Edited by popmom
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, popmom said:

Thank you. 

I tested negative for both UTI and COVID, so it must have been a stomach bug. I’m so fixated on COVID, I forget other bugs are being passed around. I mean... I’ve managed to evade the stomach bug for decades and raising 4 kids—I’ve only caught it twice from them. So of course I freaked out and assumed I had COVID. How crappy is my luck? I did one ((subjectively risky)) thing. So, SO many people in my circles are traveling around with their kids for all kinds of sports and stuff—and “not living in fear”. Shopping for whatever. I can’t even. If they or their kids puke, they probably don’t even bother to get tested. Maybe I’m the crazy one. I’m ok with that. Just give me my shot please! ETA: I’m very grateful for my test results. And grateful to live where I would have excellent care no matter what.

No fun on the stomach bug but yay that it’s not COVID!

• Like 4
On 3/4/2021 at 9:00 PM, kbutton said:

I never really thought about it, but I guess it has mostly been family and close friends for me.

Grandma, Great-aunt’s spouse, cousins FIL, family friends’ grandma, homeschool friend, a friend’s daughter, Dh, Ds, ds’s father, ds’s brother, my sister, close friend couple (both), our former real estate agent, ds’s grandmother, ds’s grandfather... I think that might be my whole list.

Now, my dd has transported a ton of Covid patients, so I’m very aware of their existence, but that’s more like hearing a medical statistic than stories through the grapevine.

• Thanks 1

DH works closely with a guy in Switzerland, whose whole family is now in quarantine.  Wife works from home but went to a work event.  They followed recommendations to the letter, plus some. They were all masked the entire time, spaced 3 - 4 meters apart (so more than 6 feet), opened all windows every 20 minutes.  Hand washing and sanitizing.  6 of the 9 people in attendance are now positive.  Wife is on Day 8.  It’s one of the new variants.  Super spreader was present, maybe.

Edited by Spryte
  • Sad 12
3 minutes ago, Spryte said:

DH works closely with a guy in Switzerland, whose whole family is now in quarantine.  Wife works from home but went to a work event.  They followed recommendations to the letter, plus some. They were all masked the entire time, spaced 3 - 4 meters apart (so more than 6 feet), opened all windows every 20 minutes.  Hand washing and sanitizing.  6 of the 9 people in attendance are now positive.  Wife is on Day 8.  It’s one of the new variants.  Super spreader was present, maybe.

That is scary.  

8 hours ago, popmom said:

Thank you. 

So glad you had a negative test.  I hope you are feeling better.   

• Like 2

I live in a state with a governor who has been pretty proactive. I live in a city full of people who support her. We all mask, our restaurants are still closed to indoor dining, our schools have not opened yet (high school where I work will begin hybrid in April, but even that is all instruction online and 2 hours 2 days/week in afternoon at school all staff now vaccinated), and the people I know are still serious about social distancing. So, the cases I know of are few:

1) One teacher got it from taking care of her father back in July/August. It was rough for her--she altered her fall teaching assignment, but no hospitalization.
2) Teacher I work with went to visit her ailing father, found out he was positive, he died, she then tested positive too. She was out of state, her family never got it, her case wasn't too bad.
3) My two CA nephews got it at college in Indiana. One got it just before traveling home for Thanksgiving, but thankfully my sister (an AML survivor and immunocompromised) never got it.
4) My old roommate who moved to Tennessee and has continually posted on FB of dining out unmasked with groups of friends, going to concerts, traveling all over got it in December. Mild case. She would have exposed many people, but I don't know any details if she spread it.

And that's it. Extended family slowly getting vaccinated (my dad, his wife, my sister, my sisters-in-law, our family, dh's parents, one nephew so far), coworkers all vaccinated (education workers) so I'm hoping to not hear of any other cases.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Like 4
58 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Yikes. I wonder which variant. This is what makes me even more cautious than ever right now as the new variants spread and we wait for vaccines. Unfortunately, I’ve had a kid with something going on that has required several medical appointments in the past week. We need to go again today to the Hospital lab for more specialized bloodwork. Not at all thrilled about all this exposure right now, but this falls in the no choice category. At least I’m in an area where people are being more careful than a lot of other parts of the country. It would feel particularly unfair if I lived somewhere like Texas and had been being so careful myself and then due to medical need had to go put myself in the midst of people wearing no masks and living life like there was no pandemic going on. That’s really unfair. 

• Sad 7

I’ve posted before about relatives, married, where they were both ill—wife with a “bad cold”/negative Covid test, and the husband died of confirmed Covid after semi-recovering and seemingly on his way to recovery. Well the wife had a very pronounced reaction to her first Covid shot and has also had some odd side effects to her illness (or to treatment), particularly hair loss. She’s kind of assumed she had a false negative test but is more suspicious now. 

• Sad 3