Menu

Personal covid experiences

Terabith

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

That seems to be how people catch it 😕 . That's why they've been so restrictive about nursing homes, for better and worse. 

Yes, DD is a CNA and submits to weekly testing at the nursing home. They must wear both masks and face shields. They have had three positives in care givers and/or admins, but have lost no patients so far. It is such a hard thing to control. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, kand said:

@Not_a_Number I saw you mentioned in the other thread that you were collecting data from this thread. Were you able to preserve anything from the previous thread? It’s seeming to me like this forum is seeing a noticeable uptick in actual forum members and/or their immediate family being positive versus earlier in the pandemic when people either didn’t know anyone who had it or it was someone in their more extended circle. I’m curious if that’s true. 

No. Frankly, I didn't think about the fact that all the threads would simply disappear. Somehow, I imagined the threads sticking around but my posts going. (I didn't think it through, clearly. Probably if it had occurred to me, I'd have saved them.) 

And I agree with you. I'm seeing way more people actually sick ON THE FORUM and not just friends and family (and more often, it was friends of friends before.) 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

Wedding last Saturday. 
FIL and SIL exhibited symptoms Tuesday and Wednesday respectively. Both tested Wednesday. Positive results on Saturday. 

FIL - aggravates allergy symptoms and low temp

SIL - cough and congestion

My oldest daughter has had a mild cough for a couple days. Last night (Saturday) she lost all sense of taste and smell. 

Today (Sunday) I have a headache, DD16 has a headache, DD7 looks flushed and has a temp of 98.7, slightly elevated  I have a mildly sore throat and a weird metallic taste in my mouth that I have not heard is a symptom?

• Sad 8

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

The last update I heard is that she is very ill and they are are not optimistic about her chances of surviving. It is so sad. They caught it from an in-home caregiver, a visiting nurse.

Quoting myself to update: Just found out that her mom is doing better now and they are hoping she has turned the corner. Another of their family members (female in her 50s) has it but is doing okay and seems to be recovering.

• Like 10

My priest has covid 😞

He's the assistant pastor, interim youth director, and the father of three young boys, two  with special needs. He's an amazing man, a Navy veteran, and my favorite pastor ever. Just found out today during the livestreamed service. Even my non religious husband is really upset about it, he really admires this priest.

If you can, please pray for Father Greg, and for his family. Fr.-Greg_8x10-744x930.jpg

Also, the sung evensong and compline services this week were canceled - not sure if someone tested positive or what, but given that one priest has it and the music director was not in the service today...I'm guessing either the music director has it (but I'd think they would have said so) or he's quarantining due to exposure - that seems more likely. 

Meanwhile, I think my uncle is recovering okay, and no signs of illness in my niece who is quarantining after close contact with a positive classmate. 

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 10

1 minute ago, kand said:

Praying for Father Greg and his family. May he recover quickly and easily with no lasting effects. 

Thank you. This is hitting me hard - harder than my uncle. Honestly, Father Greg has had a bigger influence on my life. 

He always remembers my son needs the gluten free communion wafers - as soon as he sees him at the altar rail he'd duck back and get it for him, with his other hand to avoid cross contamination, and he knows my kids' names, etc. He's just such an awesome guy. Ugh. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you. This is hitting me hard - harder than my uncle. Honestly, Father Greg has had a bigger influence on my life. 

He always remembers my son needs the gluten free communion wafers - as soon as he sees him at the altar rail he'd duck back and get it for him, with his other hand to avoid cross contamination, and he knows my kids' names, etc. He's just such an awesome guy. Ugh. 

Praying for him

35 minutes ago, DoraBora said:

I will pray for Fr Greg and his family.  

Thank you!

I shared with someone that my priest is now sick, my uncle has it, multiple friends have it, my sister's family is in quarantine due to exposure, and I'm just so sick of this virus!

and she said, "me too, i want things to be normal again". 

Which I get. But man...I meant I want my friends and loved ones not to get sick or die, not that I want to shop without a mask. Sigh. 

• Sad 10

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

I don't pray, but I'll send you all the positive energy I can. Is he doing OK so far, do you know? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ktgrok said:

Thank you!

I shared with someone that my priest is now sick, my uncle has it, multiple friends have it, my sister's family is in quarantine due to exposure, and I'm just so sick of this virus!

and she said, "me too, i want things to be normal again". 

Which I get. But man...I meant I want my friends and loved ones not to get sick or die, not that I want to shop without a mask. Sigh. 

I get it, too.  People are just so tired, and they have a hard time getting past their own struggles.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

I don't pray, but I'll send you all the positive energy I can. Is he doing OK so far, do you know? 

Good thoughts count!

And I don't know, they gave no details at all. Just included him in the prayers of the people today, when we were praying for all those effected by Covid....they added in, "especially Father Greg". 

I'm going to have my kids make get well cards tomorrow for him, I'll do one too, and I guess send them to the church. I'm guessing they can forward them on? I don't want to be a creeper and ask for his home address....I'd imagine priests get stalkers?

Maybe I'll email the church tomorrow and just ask what would be the best way to handle it. I mean, they know who I am, so not a random person, and know my email address, etc. 

• Like 2

Covid went through two households of dear lifelong family friends. They had been very careful since lockdown and then around the start of school eased up on the distancing a little. Every member of both households got it, two were hospitalized.

The hospitalized 45 year old came home and doctors told her to expect to be a long hauler. I attended the virtual funeral of the hospitalized 94 year old last weekend.💔  One of my cousins and his family were in attendance because they've already had Covid within recent months. My other cousins family wasn't there because they have it now.

• Sad 21

10 hours ago, Pippen said:

Covid went through two households of dear lifelong family friends. They had been very careful since lockdown and then around the start of school eased up on the distancing a little. Every member of both households got it, two were hospitalized.

The hospitalized 45 year old came home and doctors told her to expect to be a long hauler. I attended the virtual funeral of the hospitalized 94 year old last weekend.💔  One of my cousins and his family were in attendance because they've already had Covid within recent months. My other cousins family wasn't there because they have it now.

Oh, I am so sorry 😞 . 

• Thanks 1

No symptoms for my niece who is quarantining due to exposure at school. She was not tested, as they have to quarantine even with a negative test, and well..probe up the nose. 

My sister did get tested, and is negative, but it was soon after exposure, but she has no symptoms either. Neither does my other niece. So hopfully, now that it has been over a week from exposure, that means it was not transmitted. They do wear masks in the classroom...but also take them off to drink, eat lunch, etc. 

My other niece that was not a direct exposure is now participating in outdoor activities, since no symptoms in any of them, but my sister is keeping her home from school/indoor anything, even though that is not required by health department since she didn't have the contact, her sister did. Ideally she'd stay home too, but none of this is ideal. 

• Like 3

I was thinking I'd get through Covid without knowing anyone personally with it, as cases in our country are so low. But I've just found out my aunt, who lives in another country, has it (I don't know why that didn't occur to me). She's just 60 and is the best. Apparently she was so ill to start with she had to be in ICU but she's much better now and at home. I really hope she stays better - she has diabetes so is higher risk.

• Like 8

26 minutes ago, bookbard said:

I was thinking I'd get through Covid without knowing anyone personally with it, as cases in our country are so low. But I've just found out my aunt, who lives in another country, has it (I don't know why that didn't occur to me). She's just 60 and is the best. Apparently she was so ill to start with she had to be in ICU but she's much better now and at home. I really hope she stays better - she has diabetes so is higher risk.

Oh no 😞 . I hope she feels totally better soon -- ICU is no joke. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bookbard said:

Oh, I'm so sorry! Hoping she is all the way recovered soon!

• Thanks 1

Apparently my in-laws' neighbors all have it; one whole household's worth, although they have only mild symptoms so far.  

I started feeling crappy Friday.  Went to urgent care on Saturday, where they did a rapid covid test and strep tests, both of which were negative and told me to follow up with GP, who sent me for a "real" PCR test.  So I'm quarantined while awaiting the results, but I figure odds are low, though I definitely have something icky (sore throat, headache, achiness, exhaustion, low grade fever, mild nausea).  

Edited by Terabith
  • Sad 9

I can't be too specific about this one, but someone in my circle has multiple family members who have it. It started with a caregiver, and the person in the family who go it from the caregiver had a false negative test, died, and it was spread to additional family members. I think the person who got it from the caregiver was also initially asymptomatic. 

• Sad 12

A close friend and her granddaughter got it, and then the granddaughter's parents went to a family reunion without the kids a month later and got it. Two beloved older aunts who attended got it.

I read the local news site of my home town, and about 6-8 of my parent's friends and collogues have died of it.

There are still people at much church who believe it's a myth. One family stopped attending because the leadership require masks although compliance is frankly marginal. We sit at the back and go outside to talk to folks. 

• Sad 8

Someone close to dh's family is in the hospital with Covid. He is in his 60s and has several risk factors, including heart problems and obesity (he is at least 200 pounds overweight). He socializes in bars and restaurants a lot and was not taking safety precautions, as far as I know.

• Sad 3

A long time friend posted online to say that her cousin died of Covid yesterday. 
The mother of one of DD's friends has Covid and the kids have mild symptoms.
The pastor of our old church has Covid.
I learned recently that a guy from our church had Covid a couple of months ago.
Both a coach at the local middle school and a football player at the high school have recently had Covid.

There seem to be more local cases or at least cases of people I know personally.😟

• Sad 5

1 minute ago, mom2scouts said:

A long time friend posted online to say that her cousin died of Covid yesterday. 
The mother of one of DD's friends has Covid and the kids have mild symptoms.
The pastor of our old church has Covid.
I learned recently that a guy from our church had Covid a couple of months ago.
Both a coach at the local middle school and a football player at the high school have recently had Covid.

There seem to be more local cases or at least cases of people I know personally.😟

Do you know how everyone doing? Everyone except the dead cousin, that is. I can figure that one out 😞

Well, I am two weeks past my positive test date, and my lungs still have some discomfort when I breathe deeply. The pneumonia i guess. The pain isn't as sharp, but it's still there. I haven't proned today, just been kind of down. I really need my lung capacity to return and I can go back to work. I haven't taken the albuterol inhaler quite as much today, because I was burning through it so fast, or the cough sryup. I was getting up during the night to stay on schedule with everything. I know I need to start it back up in earnest. I want to get well.

• Sad 11

4 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Do you know how everyone doing? Everyone except the dead cousin, that is. I can figure that one out 😞

The coach, football player, and guy from church have all recovered. They were all fairly young and athletic. The pastor is recovering,  Oh, he got Covid from his college age son who recovered quickly. The mother of DD's friend is up and down. Some days she feels better and other days she's too weak to get up. Other than the cousin who died, none of the others were hospitalized.

• Like 2

I’m sorry to hear about all those sick :(

How many of you were taking the protocol supplements before  and/or after being sick?  Trying to see how effective, if at all, they might be.  Vitamin D, C, magnesium, Quercetin, zinc, and NAC.  Those are part of our daily regimens.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, matrips said:

I’m sorry to hear about all those sick 😞

How many of you were taking the protocol supplements before  and/or after being sick?  Trying to see how effective, if at all, they might be.  Vitamin D, C, magnesium, Quercetin, zinc, and NAC.  Those are part of our daily regimens.

I took D and C

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can't go into many details, but a friend and their family are all sick with covid: Two parents, 2 older kids in the house. It sounds like Parent A caught it and passed it to Parent B and Kid 1. So far Kid 2 has no symptoms. One of the adults has several risk factors and is now hospitalized. 

Edited by MissLemon
Grammar
  • Sad 8

Update on my husband's friend (from the old thread: male, about 50, overweight, non-smoker, respiratory therapist). 

He is still alive and still in the hospital.  He's been there for THREE MONTHS, and the doctors are saying he is likely to be there for several more months because covid has wrecked his heart and lungs. He's been on and off ventilator and ECMO.  His heart rate dropped into the 30s and they were afraid he was going to die, but he pulled through and stabilized. 

It sounds like a Nick Cordero situation. Based on what I've been told, it sounds like the hope is to get him well enough for potential heart and/or lung transplantation. 

• Sad 15

4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Update on my husband's friend (from the old thread: male, about 50, overweight, non-smoker, respiratory therapist). 

He is still alive and still in the hospital.  He's been there for THREE MONTHS, and the doctors are saying he is likely to be there for several more months because covid has wrecked his heart and lungs. He's been on and off ventilator and ECMO.  His heart rate dropped into the 30s and they were afraid he was going to die, but he pulled through and stabilized. 

It sounds like a Nick Cordero situation. Based on what I've been told, it sounds like the hope is to get him well enough for potential heart and/or lung transplantation. 

Oh my goodness 😞 . I’m so sorry. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/15/2020 at 2:12 AM, MissLemon said:

I can't go into many details, but a friend and their family are all sick with covid: Two parents, 2 older kids in the house. It sounds like Parent A caught it and passed it to Parent B and Kid 1. So far Kid 2 has no symptoms. One of the adults has several risk factors and is now hospitalized. 

Quoting myself for continuity.

My friend's other older child has it.  Friend is really struggling at the hospital, and it sounds like they will be moving her to ICU. 

She says the coughing fits are BAD, and simple things like shifting in bed or picking up a cup of water sets them off. She cannot breathe normally, just tiny little breaths because deeper ones set off unrelenting coughing fits and her O2 drops.  The headache never stops and nothing takes away the pain. Psychologically, it is very hard and she's described that she is basically willing herself to keep going and keep living, because it would be easy to give up and die.  She's able to post fb updates.  For now. 

This is MODERATE covid, according to her doctor. Moderate. 

Wear your damn masks, people. 

• Sad 29

10 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Quoting myself for continuity.

My friend's other older child has it.  Friend is really struggling at the hospital, and it sounds like they will be moving her to ICU. 

She says the coughing fits are BAD, and simple things like shifting in bed or picking up a cup of water sets them off. She cannot breathe normally, just tiny little breaths because deeper ones set off unrelenting coughing fits and her O2 drops.  The headache never stops and nothing takes away the pain. Psychologically, it is very hard and she's described that she is basically willing herself to keep going and keep living, because it would be easy to give up and die.  She's able to post fb updates.  For now. 

This is MODERATE covid, according to her doctor. Moderate. 

Wear your damn masks, people. 

I'm really sorry 😞 . You seem to know quite a lot of people who are pretty sick from it... that sucks 😞 . I hope she feels better soon. 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

I'm really sorry 😞 . You seem to know quite a lot of people who are pretty sick from it... that sucks 😞 . I hope she feels better soon. 

I think as time goes on, we're all going to know more than one person who's been very sick from this.  

• Sad 7

6 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I think as time goes on, we're all going to know more than one person who's been very sick from this.  

Yeah, I'm sure. We do know people through work and stuff, but so far no one very close to us has had to be hospitalized, and we're in NY. So I was thinking it's bad luck you know more people than us 😞 . On the other hand, the rest of the US is busy catching up to NY... 

On 10/4/2020 at 7:45 AM, ktgrok said:

If it helps, what I finally did for a hair cut (I have a pixie cut - just letting it get longer makes me look like a wierd clown or something), was to schedule online for the very first appointment on a weekday morning. That way any germs in the air from other clients had more than enough time to settle to the ground from the day before. When I got there it was just me and two stylists in the shop, all masked, and the other stylist not working on me stayed far away. I couldn't keep the mask looped on my ears while they worked on my hair there, so I just held it on my face with one hand, on the side I unlooped. Then switched when she switched sides. No blow dry, etc. Only one other person came in while I was there. You could even call and ask when are they the least busy, but first thing in the morning seems safest, before lots of other people were breathing in there. 

That assumes they are masking where you live. I wouldn't have gone if I didn't know they were wearing masks. But for your mental health right now, even I, the woman spraying all groceries with peroxide and avoiding church, etc, think it would be okay. Heck, it sounds way safer than your church, etc. And might give you a little mental boost - a bit of "normal" rather than having your hair reminding you daily of all this. It really did make me feel better. (and I definitely looked better compared to my home pixie trims, lol)

Yes,  I was able to keep my mask on during my appointment and it made me feel a lot better. 

I don't feel I am getting my strength back as quickly as I should. But there is a man who works with dh who had covid back in july who says he still doesn't feel good. So I guess, I'm in it for the long haul.A shower wore me out today, as did a walk outside. I just feel like I complain, while the rest of the world is passing me by.

• Sad 17

23 minutes ago, math teacher said:

I don't feel I am getting my strength back as quickly as I should. But there is a man who works with dh who had covid back in july who says he still doesn't feel good. So I guess, I'm in it for the long haul.A shower wore me out today, as did a walk outside. I just feel like I complain, while the rest of the world is passing me by.

I hope you are not a long hauler. It can take a month or so to come back from a bad flu. If you were unable to eat well while you were ill, it will take some time to get energy back. Hang in there! I am sorry you're not back to normal yet.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1