Menu

Personal covid experiences

My father was released from the hospital yesterday. He was admitted a few days ago after he fainted due to dehydration. My mother went to the ER yesterday but they did not admit her. They gave her some medicine for nausea. 

The doctor told my dad to expect to be extremely fatigued for several more weeks. 

Both of my parents are extremely tired and don't feel well at all. No breathing problems, thankfully. The doctors said that they don't expect them to develop breathing issues at this point but advised them to continue monitoring their breathing with the pulse oximeter. 

The doctors told my parents that many people experience minor symptoms until day 7 and day 10 after exposure then they get worse. 

• Like 12
  • Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mother in law died of covid related stuff this afternoon. 

Thank you.   I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not he

Our friend in Manaus, Brazil did not make it. He died this morning. I am confident he is in a place of no more suffering and death, but am so sad for his precious family. He leaves behind 12 children,

Posted Images

16 hours ago, J-rap said:

My dd (away at school) was diagnosed about 3 weeks ago now.  She's feeling a lot better -- no more aches and pains and fever.  Her sense of smell and taste are slowly returning.  But she's not sleeping well at all at night -- unusual for her.  It's a very restless, uncomfortable sleep.   And, breathing in through her nose is really painful.  She said it's very similar to accidentally breathing in chlorine when you're in a swimming pool and it stings.  It stings like that for her every time she breathes in through her nose.

TWIV has a weekly physician update on the Sunday releases. He talked about using steroids to treat the persistent inflammation in the nose in people who are experiencing long term nasal symptoms on Sunday, 11/22. Maybe it would be worth a listen... Glad her smell is coming back.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, EmilyGF said:

TWIV has a weekly physician update on the Sunday releases. He talked about using steroids to treat the persistent inflammation in the nose in people who are experiencing long term nasal symptoms on Sunday, 11/22. Maybe it would be worth a listen... Glad her smell is coming back.

Interesting -- thanks!  I'll look into that.

My 87 year old dad was released from the hospital yesterday. He is doing well and so happy to be home. He did end up with pneumonia, but seems to be fighting it off. We are so grateful to the health care workers who took such great care of him. 
My 50-ish year old female friends are struggling some. One is still exhausted a month out, the other is still symptomatic 15 days after positive test, probably 20 days post exposure. But no “serious” symptoms for either right now. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I am doing really well.  I had my test on 11/9.  I only have some lingering tiredness. Mostly just need a nap and to go to bed early.  I am surprised but thankful that it did not go to my lungs. I have asthma and it generally does.  It is such a weird virus.  We have a close friend who is hospitalized right now but is improving. 

• Like 16

We finally know someone personally who has had Covid. Ds’ roomie and another friend (both 20 yr old college students). Fortunately, ds was here the week they were both exposed so he just stayed at home for three weeks. Roomie quarantined in their apartment alone, but fortunately the only symptom she had was a loss of taste and smell for a few days. Other friend was pretty sick for two weeks but is fine and back at work now. 

Ds went back to the apartment last week, which was about a week after roomie’s quarantine ended, and both he and roomie were here for Thanksgiving. So, now I’m just hoping they listened to us and cleaned well and that Ds didn’t pick it up via surfaces in the apartment (and didn’t bring it back home to us). He’s home now for at least a week so I feel like I’m counting the days until I can relax about it.

ETA: I have no idea what the current thought process is on how long the virus can survive on surfaces, such as Ds’ apartment. If anyone has any updated information on this, I would appreciate hearing it. I remember early on there was lots of speculating but I’m not sure what they’re saying now.

ETA2: One good thing about all of this is that those are the two friends ds hangs out with the most so they feel safer hanging in the apartment together for at least the next little while. I know there have been reinfections but they seem rare and usually at least a few months apart.

Edited by Joker
  • Like 2

My coworker traveled to CO to see her ailing dad who was in the hospital with pneumonia and complications (other health issues too). He had tested negative twice--at the beginning of symptoms and on entering the hospital. Coworker took care of him in the hospital (nurse response time was very slow due to patient load), always wearing both an N95 and a cloth mask. After 4 days of this, he tested positive and went to ICU--no more visits. He passed away last weekend. Coworker just tested positive yesterday--I was so hoping that wouldn't happen. The last thing her father would have wanted. I know nothing from her personally-just heard it from the department head as I'll be covering for her. First case for someone I know well.

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Sad 15
22 minutes ago, Joker said:

ETA: I have no idea what the current thought process is on how long the virus can survive on surfaces, such as Ds’ apartment. If anyone has any updated information on this, I would appreciate hearing it. I remember early on there was lots of speculating but I’m not sure what they’re saying now.

My understanding (from an extended contact who has a PhD in microbiology & a long career in virus research & public health) is that the risk of picking up the virus from surfaces is very low, especially if one practices decent (not obsessive) hand washing. Yes, it can live on surfaces, but it really needs the moisture in respiratory droplets in order to remain viable enough to cause infection. He said that that it's "plausible" that the most vulnerable might pick it up from a surface, but, really, if someone catches it, it's cuz they were in proximity to someone else who has it, with some form of droplet exchange going on.

ETA: I don't remember how long the virus stays viable in the air....I think it might be a few to several hours, so that is a consideration. If you go into a room where an unmasked someone infectious just left, you're at risk. You can probably google for the latest research for length of time re: viability.

Edited by Happy2BaMom
  • Like 4

Our best friends' whole family caught it. The husband has an auto-immune condition, the wife has a major heart condition. He was pretty wiped out, and is still coughing and tired. Her biggest symptom was insomnia, which was new to me. She also battled a migraine for the length of the illness. She got it less severe than the husband. All 4 of their kids caught it and it was mild for them. Overall I'm breathing a big sigh of relief because they were people in my life that I was really concerned about catching it.

• Like 11
5 minutes ago, sassenach said:

Our best friends' whole family caught it. The husband has an auto-immune condition, the wife has a major heart condition. He was pretty wiped out, and is still coughing and tired. Her biggest symptom was insomnia, which was new to me. She also battled a migraine for the length of the illness. She got it less severe than the husband. All 4 of their kids caught it and it was mild for them. Overall I'm breathing a big sigh of relief because they were people in my life that I was really concerned about catching it.

I’m glad they didn’t have bad cases!!

I haven't replied in a bit, but have been following. I know a number of people who have been sick. The most recent highlights the reason people needed to stay home on Thanksgiving. A friend of ours had Thanksgiving dinner with his new wife and their kids, his brother and his family, and his parents. "Everyone had been super careful before, so it was safe." Yesterday, his ex wife started feeling ill (she had been with the children until Thanksgiving) and today she tested positive. So now, this "safe" gathering could get scary pretty quickly. We're hoping and praying that no one else gets sick. 

I have an acquaintance who works from home and only goes out for groceries. She is sick and the health department told her that they're starting to see more cases like that. She's pretty sick, but not hospital sick.

Another friend has 2 adult children that have recently been diagnosed. One works in a store, behind plexiglass with a mask and has been infected. He's not in the hospital, but is pretty ill. His sibling (also roommate) is negative still thankfully and can take care of the brother. 

• Sad 9
1 hour ago, AmandaVT said:

I have an acquaintance who works from home and only goes out for groceries. She is sick and the health department told her that they're starting to see more cases like that. She's pretty sick, but not hospital sick.

Is the idea that she got sick at the grocery? Or what are they seeing? That's worrisome. 

47 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Is the idea that she got sick at the grocery? Or what are they seeing? That's worrisome. 

Yes - exactly. She picked it up at the grocery store and the health department is hearing of more cases that are similar. People working from home, not seeing people for in person visits, but getting ill from being out in shops. Cases in VT are still relatively low compared to some other states, but it's getting worrying here too. We have had a couple of days with over 100 cases statewide and though we're not fully locked down, we've been asked to limit contact outside of our homes.

Just now, AmandaVT said:

Yes - exactly. She picked it up at the grocery store and the health department is hearing of more cases that are similar. People working from home, not seeing people for in person visits, but getting ill from being out in shops. Cases in VT are still relatively low compared to some other states, but it's getting worrying here too. We have had a couple of days with over 100 cases statewide and though we're not fully locked down, we've been asked to limit contact outside of our homes.

Ugh. We haven't been going to stores for this reason. Especially with cases going up (so more virus hovering in indoor spaces), it doesn't seem safe. 

I hope delivery is safe. If I start hearing about people getting it from takeout or groceries, I'll really freak out. (We don't sanitize our groceries, since we haven't heard about anything like that.) 

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, AmandaVT said:

Was she physically going into the grocery store or having them bring groceries to her car?  I don't go into the stores at all, but have started wearing my mask (since cases have been rising) from the time I get to the store and call for curbside pick-up until I get home and get out of my van.  Sometimes the workers aren't wearing the masks over their noses and are talking to me as they are putting groceries in my car (and breathing on my groceries).

We do still sanitize our groceries (since March) as at least a 1/3 of each order goes to our elderly parents.  Not taking any chances.

• Like 5
22 minutes ago, mlktwins said:

We do still sanitize our groceries (since March) as at least a 1/3 of each order goes to our elderly parents.  Not taking any chances.

I kind of wonder how much good it all does. I've thought about sanitizing the bags, but I'm not sure if that's really a likely vector... wouldn't the fruits and veggies themselves be the problem, and you can't sanitize those? 

I usually throw out the bags and wash my hands after doing so, but I am sure that if the worker getting my fruit had COVID, there'd be some virus on the fruit. And I'm not sure what to do about that 😕 .

6 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

I kind of wonder how much good it all does. I've thought about sanitizing the bags, but I'm not sure if that's really a likely vector... wouldn't the fruits and veggies themselves be the problem, and you can't sanitize those? 

I usually throw out the bags and wash my hands after doing so, but I am sure that if the worker getting my fruit had COVID, there'd be some virus on the fruit. And I'm not sure what to do about that 😕 .

Honestly, I've only bought fruit with thick peels or in bags where I figure any virus will long since have dried up since other human hands touch them.  And veggies I cook.  

I grew salad this summer.

I also wear thin 'coin sorting' cotton gloves shopping.  They're not medical grade, but I figure I'm getting my hands much less germy than if I had bare hands, and I still sanitize when I get back to the car.  They're also easy to take off/put back on without ever touching the outside because they have some stretch.  And I can keep them on to use touch screens (why are those still a thing during Covid??? Ewww...)

And we've still been wiping down anything that goes in the fridge or freezer...

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Honestly, I've only bought fruit with thick peels or in bags where I figure any virus will long since have dried up since other human hands touch them.  And veggies I cook.  

I grew salad this summer.

I also wear thin 'coin sorting' cotton gloves shopping.  They're not medical grade, but I figure I'm getting my hands much less germy than if I had bare hands, and I still sanitize when I get back to the car.  They're also easy to take off/put back on without ever touching the outside because they have some stretch.  And I can keep them on to use touch screens (why are those still a thing during Covid??? Ewww...)

And we've still been wiping down anything that goes in the fridge or freezer...

Hmmmm. I'll have to think about whether we should make sure to only buy fruit and veggies in boxes. But I do make salad... maybe I should stop for the time being 😕 . Stir fries for veggies? Stir fries ARE good... 

We don't go shopping at all, though. We just get pick up and delivery, because I am NOT setting foot indoors if I don't have to. 

Edited by Not_a_Number
Just now, Not_a_Number said:

Hmmmm. I'll have to think about whether we should make sure to only buy fruit and veggies in boxes. But I do make salad... maybe I should stop for the time being 😕 . Stir fries for veggies? Stir fries ARE good... 

We don't go shopping at all, though. We just get pick up and delivery, because I am NOT setting foot indoors if I don't have to. 

I can get apples and other fruit easily in bags.  I have frozen blueberries (easy to defrost under running water in less than a minute) for breakfast almost every morning.

Veggies are mostly in soups, stews, or stir-frys of various kinds.  Fortunately, I guess, I've never enjoyed making salad, so I've always tried to get them in other ways.  I do use fresh veggies, but even more frozen - so they have to be cooked anyway!

4 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I can get apples and other fruit easily in bags.  I have frozen blueberries (easy to defrost under running water in less than a minute) for breakfast almost every morning.

Veggies are mostly in soups, stews, or stir-frys of various kinds.  Fortunately, I guess, I've never enjoyed making salad, so I've always tried to get them in other ways.  I do use fresh veggies, but even more frozen - so they have to be cooked anyway!

As someone who comes from a less agriculturally advanced country, you will not convince me to give up my fresh fruits and veggies 😉 . (Seriously, American produce is already so much worse than what I grew up with... I'm not freezing it, too!) 

I see your points about getting things in bags, though. And do you wipe the bags down? 

Edited by Not_a_Number
  • Like 1

We've been eating tons of fresh produce throughout the pandemic, including daily salads, and haven't gotten Covid. I wonder if the people who appear to have caught it at the grocery store were wearing eye protection along with their masks.

• Like 1

As someone who comes from a less agriculturally advanced country, you can pry my fresh fruit and veggies from my cold, dead hands 😉 . (Seriously, American produce is already so much worse than what I grew up with... I'm not freezing it, too!) 

I see your points about getting things in bags, though. And do you wipe the bags down? 

LOL, mostly I buy it already frozen.  I often have trouble using fresh stuff before it goes bad, and now I never have to chop up broccoli!  Flash frozen stuff is da bomb.  Just dump however much you want in, lol.   Stopped feeling guilty about this after reading that stuff frozen at picking often retains more nutrients than stuff that's had a long road to the supermarket.  (Farmer's market or home garden produce obviously doesn't have that problem...).  

I do wipe the bags down, always with frozen, sometimes with bags of fruit that won't spoil quickly I put them aside for a few days because by then any virus shouldn't be infective...  depends how soon I want to eat them!

• Like 1
Just now, Selkie said:

We've been eating tons of fresh produce throughout the pandemic, including daily salads, and haven't gotten Covid. I wonder if the people who appear to have caught it at the grocery store were wearing eye protection along with their masks.

I'd be curious about that. I'm also really curious if any sizable number of people have picked it up from deliveries or not... 

Just now, Matryoshka said:

Stopped feeling guilty about this after reading that stuff frozen at picking often retains more nutrients than stuff that's had a long road to the supermarket. 

Yeah, it's not guilt -- I just really like how fresh fruit and veggies taste! We got a farm box this year, too, and that was awesome as well. (We've been meaning to, but the pandemic really spurred us on -- it's been lovely.) 

2 minutes ago, Selkie said:

I've been wondering about eye protection lately, as things have gotten more intense.  Wasn't really worried this summer.  I do wear glasses, but they have lots of gaps...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Yeah, it's not guilt -- I just really like how fresh fruit and veggies taste! We got a farm box this year, too, and that was awesome as well. (We've been meaning to, but the pandemic really spurred us on -- it's been lovely.) 

Sigh.  I just don't seem to be coordinated enough in my cooking skills to get through one of those farm boxes with appropriate recipes for all and not have things go wilty/moldy/slimy before I get to them... 😞   I'll admit to making large batches of things and eating leftovers for a couple of days...

1 minute ago, Matryoshka said:

Sigh.  I just don't seem to be coordinated enough in my cooking skills to get through one of those farm boxes with appropriate recipes for all and not have things go wilty/moldy/slimy before I get to them... 😞   I'll admit to making large batches of things and eating leftovers for a couple of days...

Errr, who says I never have things go moldy/slimy? 😛 

However, my discovery this summer was that just about EVERYTHING can either go in a salad or a stir fry. I stir fried SO MANY things. (Lettuce? Check. Spinach? Check. Collard greens? Check.) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

However, my discovery this summer was that just about EVERYTHING can either go in a salad or a stir fry. I stir fried SO MANY things. (Lettuce? Check. Spinach? Check. Collard greens? Check.) 

Hm.  Haven't stir-fried lettuce, but spinach often.  Just dump in the pan straight from the bag frozen... 😂

• Haha 1

Noooo 😛

You don't want to know about my homemade pizza, where I unceremoniously dump frozen broccoli florets and heaps of frozen spinach on (then cheese, of course) and bake from there.  Comes out great!  Was a great way to get veggies in the kids... fast dinner, too...

• Like 2
Just now, Matryoshka said:

You don't want to know about my homemade pizza, where I unceremoniously dump frozen broccoli florets and heaps of frozen spinach on (then cheese, of course) and bake from there.  Comes out great!  Was a great way to get veggies in the kids... fast dinner, too...

Not into my kids. They barely eat cheese pizza 😛 

• Haha 1
8 minutes ago, Not_a_Number said:

Not into my kids. They barely eat cheese pizza 😛 

It's amazing what kids can turn their noses up to vs. like.  That veggie pizza was one of the extremely few ways I could get veggies into youngest.  But bought pizza, it's cheese or Hawaiian only.  Go figure.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Joker said:

We finally know someone personally who has had Covid. Ds’ roomie and another friend (both 20 yr old college students). Fortunately, ds was here the week they were both exposed so he just stayed at home for three weeks. Roomie quarantined in their apartment alone, but fortunately the only symptom she had was a loss of taste and smell for a few days. Other friend was pretty sick for two weeks but is fine and back at work now. 

Ds went back to the apartment last week, which was about a week after roomie’s quarantine ended, and both he and roomie were here for Thanksgiving. So, now I’m just hoping they listened to us and cleaned well and that Ds didn’t pick it up via surfaces in the apartment (and didn’t bring it back home to us). He’s home now for at least a week so I feel like I’m counting the days until I can relax about it.

ETA2: One good thing about all of this is that those are the two friends ds hangs out with the most so they feel safer hanging in the apartment together for at least the next little while. I know there have been reinfections but they seem rare and usually at least a few months apart.

The survival time is known to be quite long but they think the chance of it actually being transmitted that way is pretty low.  A recent study here.  They did it in a dark room though so I think exposure to light can shorten those times a lot.  Maybe open all the curtains and windows for a bit.

https://www.readcube.com/articles/10.1186/s12985-020-01418-7

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Ugh. We haven't been going to stores for this reason. Especially with cases going up (so more virus hovering in indoor spaces), it doesn't seem safe. 

I hope delivery is safe. If I start hearing about people getting it from takeout or groceries, I'll really freak out. (We don't sanitize our groceries, since we haven't heard about anything like that.) 

One of our most recent transmission appears to have been from a pre ordered pickup from a pizza store (Unless we have someone else with a secret job they aren’t sharing or something).

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

One of our most recent transmission appears to have been from a pre ordered pickup from a pizza store (Unless we have someone else with a secret job they aren’t sharing or something).

Oh, hmmm, so there really WAS transmission that way? But that must have been one out of many people who got pick up, right? 

11 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

This is separate from the original secret pizza shop worker?  Another transmission probably from just picking up a pizza?  I might be confusing two stories, here.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Not_a_Number said:

Beetroot leaves, broad beans, mustard greens, broccolini have all featured in ours thanks to DDs garden.

Ive discovered that pretty much anything tastes good fried with garlic and ginger 

• Like 4

Dd's neurooncologist recommended about a decade ago that we do a 90% water, 10% vinegar soak on all produce to remove pesticides, to help clean off debris from the farming process, and to try to reduce cross-exposure of germs.   We do berries and leafy greens for about 5 minutes, then rinse really really well in cold water.  We do harder vegetables for about 10 minutes. For the leafy greens, we dry on paper towels, then wrap in the same paper towels and shove it loosely into a ziplock. We can get them to last over a week that way. Berries also need to dry well.  The only berry this doesn't work well on is raspberries---we still soak, but we consume within a day or two. 

We've kept it up through covid.  As a girl raised on a farm, I'm actually kind of freaked out by people who don't wash their produce before consuming......

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, Spryte said:

This is separate from the original secret pizza shop worker?  Another transmission probably from just picking up a pizza?  I might be confusing two stories, here.

Yes correct.  Same store where the two infected pizza workers worked.  A girl from the local high school.  She attended school on Monday and Tuesday.  The only thing we don’t know is what the wait time was - she may have been in store for a while if they were slow I guess.

We also had a case in an English language school that was deemed a casual contact but I know less about that one as it just came in yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Yes correct.  Same store where the two infected pizza workers worked.  A girl from the local high school.  She attended school on Monday and Tuesday.  The only thing we don’t know is what the wait time was - she may have been in store for a while if they were slow I guess.

We also had a case in an English language school that was deemed a casual contact but I know less about that one as it just came in yesterday.

Quoting myself to say it’s worth keeping in mind that the two pizza workers would have been peak infectiousness and a tonne of customers have been through the store with only one positive so far.  So while it’s probably a risk it’s probably not a really high chance of it happening.

• Like 3