Menu

Personal covid experiences

16 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

2 cases of surface contact spread. 

Firstly the cleaner at a medihotel got it from a surface and spread it to a security guard. The security guard had another job working at a pizza shop. Someone bought a pizza there and got coronavirus. He was a security guard at a different medihotel. But through genome tracing. They know who the got it from and the only time their patches crossed was at the pizza shop. 

The rapid spread with surface contact happening at least twice was significant factors in the extremely hard lockdown of all of SA for just 30 cases. 

How do they know these were surface spread? 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My mother in law died of covid related stuff this afternoon. 

Thank you.   I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not he

Another uncle of mine has died of covid. That's three for our family. They did not live near each other. 😞

Posted Images

I had a number of college students who have had COVID. Most have reported mild symptoms.  My university is reporting just over 1500 cases involving students, faculty, and staff since March.  We have a student body just over 10,000 and about 2500 employees.  That would mean that over 10% of the campus community has had COVID.  

Out of those 1500 cases there has been one death of a faculty member; I do not know of any pre-existing health conditions; he was active and seemed fit, but he was a male in his late 60s.  He had not been on campus and did not contract COVID from any of his work-related activities.  Only one other person has been hospitalized, and only for one day, since that statistic has been reported in August.  

The percentage of students who have become infected is about the same as the percentage of faculty/staff who have become infected.  I do not know how many of those faculty and staff have been on campus as many are working from home.  The university says that there have been no cases traced to classroom transmission.  

We had a high number of cases in August as students returned to campus.  Since then, the university numbers have been tracking at a lower rate of transmission than in the county as a whole.  

One thing I was initially surprised by was in August I thought must be teaching every student who was positive because of all of the notifications I was receiving.  Our numbers went way down in October, but are back up this month and I have not received a single notification.  The August outbreak tended to be off-campus students and a Greek dorm--upper classmen who tend to live with and take classes with friends.  The most recent outbreak has typically been on-campus students who are more likely freshman and sophomores who would be more likely to be enrolled in intro classes.  Therefore, some professors/classes are hit hard by absences and illnesses while others aren't impacted.  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

@MissLemon I was thinking about your friend Michelle this morning. Hugs

Thank you.  

I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not healthy enough to discontinue the ventilator. She couldn't come off it nor could she stay on it.  The palliative care doctor helped them to come up with a plan to let her pass without pain.  

She's leaving behind a husband, 2 teens, and a really great cat, plus so many friends that loved her.  

• Sad 50
1 minute ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I wish I had a good update to give.  Michelle's family made the decision to discontinue life support today.  Her lungs were sustaining damage while on the ventilator, but were not healthy enough to discontinue the ventilator. She couldn't come off it nor could she stay on it.  The palliative care doctor helped them to come up with a plan to let her pass without pain.  

She's leaving behind a husband, 2 teens, and a really great cat, plus so many friends that loved her.  

Godspeed to your friend. Prayers for her family. This disease is so random and cruel.

• Thanks 3
10 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

Oh, I am SO sorry. That's awful. 

• Thanks 1
28 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so so sorry, MissLemon. 😥 So many lives have been destroyed by this horrible disease.

• Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, elroisees said:

I'm so sorry, Miss Lemon. How horribly sad.

It really is horribly sad. She didn't want to die.  She wasn't "ready" to go; she fought to live every step of the way.  She wanted to go home and finish raising her kids.  She loved her life with her family.  This is so unfair. 

• Sad 25
2 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

It really is horribly sad. She didn't want to die.  She wasn't "ready" to go; she fought to live every step of the way.  She wanted to go home and finish raising her kids.  She loved her life with her family.  This is so unfair. 

It's terrible. Just terrible. It's so awful for her and for her family. 

• Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I'm so sorry for your loss, and for her family and friends. She sounds like a wonderful person.  

• Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

I am so, so sorry for your loss.  This is so awful.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so sorry MissLemon. That's heartbreaking.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I had a number of college students who have had COVID. Most have reported mild symptoms.  My university is reporting just over 1500 cases involving students, faculty, and staff since March.  We have a student body just over 10,000 and about 2500 employees.  That would mean that over 10% of the campus community has had COVID.  

Out of those 1500 cases there has been one death of a faculty member; I do not know of any pre-existing health conditions; he was active and seemed fit, but he was a male in his late 60s.  He had not been on campus and did not contract COVID from any of his work-related activities.  Only one other person has been hospitalized, and only for one day, since that statistic has been reported in August.  

The percentage of students who have become infected is about the same as the percentage of faculty/staff who have become infected.  I do not know how many of those faculty and staff have been on campus as many are working from home.  The university says that there have been no cases traced to classroom transmission.  

We had a high number of cases in August as students returned to campus.  Since then, the university numbers have been tracking at a lower rate of transmission than in the county as a whole.  

One thing I was initially surprised by was in August I thought must be teaching every student who was positive because of all of the notifications I was receiving.  Our numbers went way down in October, but are back up this month and I have not received a single notification.  The August outbreak tended to be off-campus students and a Greek dorm--upper classmen who tend to live with and take classes with friends.  The most recent outbreak has typically been on-campus students who are more likely freshman and sophomores who would be more likely to be enrolled in intro classes.  Therefore, some professors/classes are hit hard by absences and illnesses while others aren't impacted.  

Wow.  The university where I work has 10,000 students too. We've  had ten staff infected and 86 students.

• Like 3
On 11/16/2020 at 7:34 PM, MissLemon said:

Yep! It's just a waiting game now. I expect that by this time next year, most adults in the US will have been offered the vaccine.  I don't know exactly where the trials are at for kids, though. I think Pfizer has a trial going for kids 12-16 right now, but I'm not sure.  

I have questions about how we get undocumented people vaccinated, too.  We can't simply shrug and act like it's not our problem.   

Generally speaking, the health department would handle this. We had a very high number of illegal immigrants in the area I used to live in and that was standard, no questions asked and no risk of deportation. Vaccination services through the county health board were the go to and free if one couldn’t pay.

Edited by TAFKAPastry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, MissLemon said:

Thank you.  

I am so so sorry.  I am thinking of Michelle's family and sending them prayers.  

• Thanks 1

I don’t have a lot of details, but a young adult whose parents I know has both Covid and strep. The young adult had an emergency with throat abscesses that required surgery and some serious logistical challenges. 

It also sounds like there were initial false neg tests for both conditions.

• Sad 12
1 minute ago, kbutton said:

I don’t have a lot of details, but a young adult whose parents I know has both Covid and strep. The young adult had an emergency with throat abscesses that required surgery and some serious logistical challenges. 

It also sounds like there were initial false neg tests for both conditions.

Oh, that sounds AWFUL. How did they get both?? 

1 minute ago, Not_a_Number said:

Oh, that sounds AWFUL. How did they get both?? 

I don’t have firsthand information about that. Some people are colonized with strep (or other bacteria) that go wild if they are tired/rundown/stressed or get another illness. 

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, kbutton said:

I don’t have firsthand information about that. Some people are colonized with strep (or other bacteria) that go wild if they are tired/rundown/stressed or get another illness. 

Yes - strep is opportunistic.  We took DD14 in to get tested for strep and Covid. She was Covid negative but strep positive. The pediatrician said he’d had two kids last week test positive for both. 

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kbutton said:

My oldest is like this - since she was a little thing. She'd catch one bug and have strep throat soon behind, or get really busy and overtired... and BAM! strep.

Was almost constant for years and then... it just stopped! She hasn't had strep (knock on wood) for any of her young adult years after a lifetime of it!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
9 hours ago, kbutton said:

From what I understand covid kind of damages the epithelial cells (?)   They are kind of like the “skin” of the internal organs.  So maybe the strep bacterial could get through more easily once they were damaged?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

From what I understand covid kind of damages the epithelial cells (?)   They are kind of like the “skin” of the internal organs.  So maybe the strep bacterial could get through more easily once they were damaged?

That makes a lot of sense. 

Strep is nothing to mess around with, that's for sure!

I had a pretty much symptom free day today, day 12.  I am a little tired but nothing like last week.  And my heart rate is a little high. But I really do feel almost completely fine.  I have asthma and fibromyalgia and I honestly expected this to be much worse for me if I got it.  I am very very thankful.   I am still concerned that I will have more fatigue issues going forward but I'm trying not to borrow trouble and just be grateful that I seem to have made it to the other side of this without a severe case.  Taste and smell were only gone for 2 days and then partial for a few more.  Seem normal now.  

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1
On 11/18/2020 at 9:48 PM, kbutton said:

So, my parent's cousin is not doing well. He has double-pneumonia, and his kidneys are failing. Obviously, people have this happen and go home weeks and months later, but he has long-standing kidney issues. I think I said elsewhere in the thread, but he is 85. 

He passed away earlier this evening. He would've been a bit lost without his wife, but it's so sad for their kids and grandkids that both are gone. 

• Sad 35
19 hours ago, busymama7 said:

I had a pretty much symptom free day today, day 12.  I am a little tired but nothing like last week.  And my heart rate is a little high. But I really do feel almost completely fine.  I have asthma and fibromyalgia and I honestly expected this to be much worse for me if I got it.  I am very very thankful.   I am still concerned that I will have more fatigue issues going forward but I'm trying not to borrow trouble and just be grateful that I seem to have made it to the other side of this without a severe case.  Taste and smell were only gone for 2 days and then partial for a few more.  Seem normal now.  

That’s good to hear!! 

• Like 1
Just now, Not_a_Number said:

I’m really sorry 😞 

There are family members closer to them than I was, but it is sad. My parents saw them just before they left to go south and said they looked very healthy and happy. Part of the sad is that a number of cousins, like them, have been doing more together with my parents and others in the family in recent years because they are retired and less busy. These particular cousins were not around a lot when I was growing up; for me, the sad part is that I was just getting to know them better.

• Sad 9

My Dad was hospitalized yesterday. He passed out yesterday evening and my mother called 911. My dad had severe dehydration so they decided to admit him. He's been very fatigued for the last week. His breathing is still fine, thank goodness. They anticipate that he will be released tomorrow. 

My mom began feeling worse last night too. She said she felt very cold and sick to her stomach although she's never had a fever. Her breathing remains fine too. 

My brother-in-law has lost his sense of taste and smell. My sister and niece remain asymptomatic. 

I'm SMH at the idiots planning large Thanksgiving dinners this week with their elderly relatives. 

Also, feeling particularly rage-y at the "meh...coronavirus" post on this forum from a few months ago. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 21
Just now, Ordinary Shoes said:

My Dad was hospitalized yesterday. He passed out yesterday evening and my mother called 911. My dad had severe dehydration so they decided to admit him. He's been very fatigued for the last week. His breathing is still fine, thank goodness. They anticipate that he will be released tomorrow. 

My mom began feeling worse last night too. She said she felt very cold and sick to her stomach although she's never had a fever. Her breathing remains fine too. 

My brother-in-law has lost his sense of taste and smell. My sister and niece remain asymptomatic. 

I'm SMH at the idiots planning large Thanksgiving dinners this week with their elderly relatives. 

Also, feeling particularly rage-y at the "meh...coronavirus" post on this forum from a few months ago. 

Oh, I am really sorry. I hope your dad recovers quickly and your mom doesn't get worse. 

I keep getting a sinking feeling every time I get a notification on this thread. Sometimes, it's good news, but often enough, it's really not. And nowadays it's bad news from relatives of people I know well online 😞 . 

• Like 5

I am so scared to have all my family dealing with this at the same time.  We are supposed to be each other’s support systems, not all dealing with an illness at the same time.  

My husband said some heartless things at the time of Hurricane Katrina — basically saying he thought he would be able to deal with what was going on.  I said “well what about your grandmother?”  And then he was like “I didn’t think of that.”  He actually didn’t want to think about his grandmother up on a roof waiting to be rescued!  Let alone a baby or other vulnerable family member.  Well — it was one thing for him to be 20 and say that — I don’t know why people don’t think of it now. But I know my husband didn’t think of it with Hurricane Katrina at first.  But then he did think of it!

• Sad 4
7 minutes ago, Lecka said:

I am so scared to have all my family dealing with this at the same time.  We are supposed to be each other’s support systems, not all dealing with an illness at the same time.  

My husband said some heartless things at the time of Hurricane Katrina — basically saying he thought he would be able to deal with what was going on.  I said “well what about your grandmother?”  And then he was like “I didn’t think of that.”  He actually didn’t want to think about his grandmother up on a roof waiting to be rescued!  Let alone a baby or other vulnerable family member.  Well — it was one thing for him to be 20 and say that — I don’t know why people don’t think of it now. But I know my husband didn’t think of it with Hurricane Katrina at first.  But then he did think of it!

Yes, one of the things that makes this so hard is that it often strikes everyone in the family because it's so contagious. 

Thankfully my sister is local to my parents and is asymptomatic so she can help out. She's staying with my mother now since my dad is in the hospital. I'm sure there are other elderly couples having to go through this by themselves. 

• Like 4

Most of my people I posted about are doing well. 
except the 87 year old, that’s my dad and he’s been hospitalized since Wednesday. He’s getting good reports on his status and progress so far, but he’s got a ways to go yet. His o2 levels got too low. Had some pneumonia by the time he got to the hospital. We were watching him very carefully too. Checking numbers several times a day. 

my 84 year old mom also tested positive, but so far no concerning symptoms for her. It’s hard to tell how far along she is since she didn’t really have symptoms, but we’re guessing maybe she’s on Day 10 or so right now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

I posted  upthread about my ds and his housemates and my best friend and her dh.

Ds is doing better. Not completely clear of symptoms yet but he says he is improving and is in good spirits. Tommorow will be a week from his positive test. Roomate zero, the first to get sick, is nearly over it he feels. He got his positive a week ago today but he had symptoms a few days before he was tested. His girlfriend, who originally tested negative, is sick now. Not sure if she got tested again but she has textbook symptoms and has been living with the guys the whole time. Roomate #4 remains totally well with a negative test. 

My best friend and her dh are doing okay. The dh is almost sixty and smoked for thirty years though he quit awhile ago. He has some health issues so I was worried about him. He has had symptoms but manageable and has not gotten any worse, at least, a week post positive test. My friend has had no symptoms except one night when she felt feverish for a few hours. 

Outside our immediate friends and family we have worse stories from acquaintances. The father of a friend is in the ICU at a local hospital. My dh has two women he works with whose families are dealing with it. In one family the parents and all three teen boys have it. The dad is hospitalized and has been for a couple weeks. Dh thinks he is about 50 yo. Another coworker of his has been caring for her boyfriend who is also late forties or early fifties. He has gone to the ER three times now. Last time he begged to be admitted but they said his oxygen levels weren't low enough. 

So, in the last week it is really hitting hard here. It is scary but I don't see anyone altering any behaviors and certainly no curbing of Thanksgiving plans. 😞 

• Sad 9

Update on my family: Both parents (80’s) and siblings (50’s) have recovered. All cases were very mild, no respiratory issues. Mostly fatigue and some minor cold symptoms, mom had wicked headaches but then insisted she never felt anything. Typical denial for her. Sister lost her sense of taste and smell but afaik both have returned. Mom actually tested negative, but she tested later than the others and I think missed the window. Her symptoms seem to have generally matched the others.

New story: Best friend's husband was in close contact with a positive coworker. He initially tested negative, but then got sick with classic COVID symptoms and is waiting on testing again. Entire family is quarantining; best friend and teen daughter feel fine so far. Best friend is high risk so I’m nervous. 

• Like 6
56 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Update on my family: Both parents (80’s) and siblings (50’s) have recovered. All cases were very mild, no respiratory issues. Mostly fatigue and some minor cold symptoms, mom had wicked headaches but then insisted she never felt anything. Typical denial for her. Sister lost her sense of taste and smell but afaik both have returned. Mom actually tested negative, but she tested later than the others and I think missed the window. Her symptoms seem to have generally matched the others.

New story: Best friend's husband was in close contact with a positive coworker. He initially tested negative, but then got sick with classic COVID symptoms and is waiting on testing again. Entire family is quarantining; best friend and teen daughter feel fine so far. Best friend is high risk so I’m nervous. 

I’m really glad they all had mild cases!!

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’m really glad they all had mild cases!!

Thanks, me too. Dad is 84, but in excellent health. Still, everyone is aware how fast things can turn at that age.

I forgot to mention that this is the second go around with COVID for best friend's husband. He was very sick back in February and I suspected COVID then; I spoke with him today and he said it feels very much the same now. It seems I’m hearing more and more cases of second infections. 😞 

• Sad 4
1 minute ago, MEmama said:

It seems I’m hearing more and more cases of second infections. 😞 

I had high hopes for either long-term immunity or at least milder second infections, but it's really not sounding like it from anything I've heard. It doesn't seem to be reported on much yet, though, which is a bit unfortunate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 11/18/2020 at 6:21 PM, Frances said:

My SIL is out of quarantine and back to work. My brother is finally steadily improving. My mom’s care for non-covid related health issues continues to be greatly impacted by being in a hotspot. Right now she has another surgery scheduled for next week, but there is a pretty good chance it will be cancelled either because of the virus or because she won’t be ready to tolerate it. Rather than spend a week or so in the hospital due to her health risks, if she does have it, there will be no hospitalization at all. All of the pre and post op care and monitoring will be done on an outpatient basis. Fortunately, she is back in her senior apartment which would be walking distance from the hospital if she were healthy. And they are allowing family members in to help her. But the hospital and clinics are back to patients and staff only.

My mom had her surgery today. It went as expected,but they ended up admitting her to the hospital due to weakness and taking a long time to come  around afterwards. No one is allowed in to see her.

My brother is experiencing symptoms again and is very weak. He’s someone who spends lots of time lifting weights and doing cardio, so still being so fatigued and weak is very concerning to him. He’s no longer being monitored by his medical home, but plans to call his doctor tomorrow.

• Sad 16
5 minutes ago, Frances said:

My mom had her surgery today. It went as expected,but they ended up admitting her to the hospital due to weakness and taking a long time to come  around afterwards. No one is allowed in to see her.

My brother is experiencing symptoms again and is very weak. He’s someone who spends lots of time lifting weights and doing cardio, so still being so fatigued and weak is very concerning to him. He’s no longer being monitored by his medical home, but plans to call his doctor tomorrow.

I hope your mom gets better soon and doesn't pick anything up in the hospital. 

I'm sorry about your brother 😕 . How long has he been ill? 

• Like 1