Menu

Want to make an experience/adventure list

We're reading The Hobbit and LotR this year. I came to the realization last night that we live as Hobbits. Not really going out and doing much. There have been years where I make more of an effort but as the kids hit their tweens and started groaning the second I mention going out and doing something, I let it slide. Well, I want to add some adventures into our year. We'll come up with our own together as well. I'll put them in a jar and pull out a strip as often as we can. Some may take longer to complete of course. They can be covid friendly or something we can do hopefully in a few years before they graduate. No experience too small. Help us become more like Bilbo! 🙏😃

make donuts from scratch

hike up to the top of the hill by us

see the Milky Way in Death Valley

stay up all night

go kayaking

visit a ghost town

build a house of cards

ride a horse

see the Grand Canyon

operate construction equipment (there's a local place that does this..... if they are still open that is)

let a tarantula crawl on you

volunteer at an animal sanctuary

go kart racing

mini golf

I've been full of ideas lately. I think my super healthy smoothies are finally kicking in. 😁

• Like 7

Some of my family have Hobbit tendencies as well -- but this mostly shows in the Second Breakfast category.  🙂

Cool list, though.   🧙‍♂️

Except for that bit with the tarantula -- No Way In Hades that would ever make it on my list. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
44 minutes ago, Plum said:

We're reading The Hobbit and LotR this year. I came to the realization last night that we live as Hobbits. Not really going out and doing much. There have been years where I make more of an effort but as the kids hit their tweens and started groaning the second I mention going out and doing something, I let it slide. Well, I want to add some adventures into our year. We'll come up with our own together as well. I'll put them in a jar and pull out a strip as often as we can. Some may take longer to complete of course. They can be covid friendly or something we can do hopefully in a few years before they graduate. No experience too small. Help us become more like Bilbo! 🙏😃

make donuts from scratch

stay up all night

go kayaking

visit a ghost town

build a house of cards

ride a horse

see the Grand Canyon

operate construction equipment (there's a local place that does this..... if they are still open that is)

go kart racing

mini golf

I've been full of ideas lately. I think my super healthy smoothies are finally kicking in. 😁

I think this is an AMAZING idea!

...Except the tarantula part. Just happened to me on Monday, a tarantula crawled out of my food tower (long story), and onto my foot. I may have screamed, and I mean this as the pure truth and not as an insult to the mentioned party, "like a little girl." The thing covered my foot and just decided to sit there (?!?!) and because I am now trained to stay still when something is crawling on me (4 scorpions stings this year, more long stories), I just stayed there screaming for 10 hours seconds until DH came to rescue me. I am sorry to tarantula lovers here and everywhere, but he's dead now. 

Anyway, my traumatic event aside, some other ideas you may enjoy:

make plaster face masks

eat dinner at a [insert exotic to you culture here] restaurant

have high tea

pick produce at a farm

have a surprise party (for no reason)

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

...Except for that bit with the tarantula -- No Way In Hades that would ever make it on my list. 

lol!!

I literally just did this one a week ago! We were at a park that bordered a desert area, and there was a beautiful brown fully-grown tarantula walking across the grass, so I put my hand on the grass and let it walk up, cupped my hands around him and moved him to a sheltered spot back in the desert area so it wouldn't get damaged by someone not seeing it and treading on it. Super cool! Very light, dry touch of each foot as it walked across my hand.

GREAT list! We've done most of the items on your bucket list, and they are all fun! 😄 I would LOVE to get to operate construction equipment!

Some fun ones our family has done:
- make salt water taffy that you pull/stretch with your hands (I did this one as a teen)
- make pot stickers from scratch (except, we buy the wrappers -- we make the filling and then work as a team to fill/seal, and then fry/steam to cook the pot stickers)
- have a super soaker (water gun) battle
- camp out/sleep out in the backyard (which is a whole different fun thing from going camping, which we've also enjoyed)
- stay up one night during the annual August meteor shower and look for shooting stars in the wee hours of the morning
- view the moon and planets through a telescope on public viewing night at the local observatory (or with your local amateur astronomy group)
- launch rockets
- hold a snake
- whittle a stick
- jump off the high dive at the public pool
- set up a domino series and then video the chain reaction from knocking over the first domino
- see the Statue of Liberty
- do a movie marathon at home
- plant a tree on Arbor Day
- knife throwing, archery, or gun range (I only had the courage for the middle one, but DH & DSs have done all 3)
- NICELY, lovingly 😉 tp a friend's front yard (i.e., not too much toilet paper, and not in a way that is hard to undo -- throwing up into 30 ft. trees or winding around spiky plants, e.g.)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I love this idea!

Walk 10-20 miles in one day

Sleep under the stars

See the green flash

Go on a ferry ride

Ride on a narrow gauge railroad

Tour a chocolate factory

Go to a restaurant that serves a class of food you've never had before

Edited by EKS
  • Like 4

Go fishing

Explore a rails to trails pathway.  Find out about it's history and see what you can find on the trail.  

Tour all your local parks.  Learn about the metropark system in your area and go do one thing unique to each park.

Make smores over a camp fire (there's a special taste to those kinds lol.)

Locate "long lost" cemetaries in your area.  There are tiny little forgotton cemetaries all over and they can be really interested (or really boring.)

• Like 2

Let's just say you .... Tarantula Ladies (voluntary or not)   🕷️ are reminding me why I live in the frozen north.   The little daddy longlegs that likes to hang out in the corner of my living room is PLENTY of spider for me. 

And I don't want to hear about your snake handling exploits, either. 🐍 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
2 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Let's just say you .... Tarantula Ladies (voluntary or not)   🕷️ are reminding me why I live in the frozen north.   The little daddy longlegs that likes to hang out in the corner of my living room is PLENTY of spider for me. 

And I don't want to hear about your snake handling exploits, either. 🐍 😉

I have a case of something close to arachnophobia. Moving into my current house has been a really, really big trial for me in all of my coping mechanisms. I am proud to say that I can now look at daddy long legs and other house spiders and leave them alone (and not scream). I call them "the security team" to make it easier on myself. 

But tarantulas and wolf spiders and black widows and other uncategorized many-legged things, naw dawg, that's not happening, lol.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Zoo Keeper said:

...And I don't want to hear about your snake handling exploits, either. 🐍 😉

That would be WTM board dmmetler's DD, the budding herpetologist... 😉 

I don't pick up snakes out here because they're almost all venomous varieties. 😉 

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

Ooo! A few more "thrill" adventures:

- hot air balloon ride
- ride a cable car that takes you up to a mountain peak
- go waterskiing or snow skiing
- ride a rollercoaster
- horse-drawn carriage ride
- go for a sleigh ride (that's still on my "to do" list)
- zip line (also on my "to do" list)

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

That would be WTM board dmetler's DD, the budding herpetologist... 😉 

I don't pick up snakes out here because they're almost all venomous varieties. 😉 

Oh no, let's not starting talking snakes. My 7yo told me last week that a snake went under the house. I told him to stay away from there, and what did the snake look like? Did it have color stripes or diamonds on it? No it's mostly brownish, and not diamonds. Just squares, but kind of standing on their sides and touching at the corners. 🤦‍♀️

Well this has been fun but I need to go pour myself a drink or something, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

I have a case of something close to arachnophobia. Moving into my current house has been a really, really big trial for me in all of my coping mechanisms. I am proud to say that I can now look at daddy long legs and other house spiders and leave them alone (and not scream). I call them "the security team" to make it easier on myself. 

But tarantulas and wolf spiders and black widows and other uncategorized many-legged things, naw dawg, that's not happening, lol.

We get Tarantula Hawks here. Top of the list on the pain scale for stinging. If you leave fruit outside to rot, they get drunk on the fermented juice. Imagine one of those flying drunk around your backyard.  Bwahahaha 

• Haha 2
4 minutes ago, Plum said:

We get Tarantula Hawks here. Top of the list on the pain scale for stinging. If you leave fruit outside to rot, they get drunk on the fermented juice. Imagine one of those flying drunk around your backyard.  Bwahahaha 

Yep, we have those scary things here, too. We avoid them. 😉 

• Like 1

I want them to make something out of wood. We've done PVC before. Whittle or build?

Forge their own knife

make a concrete stepping stone

bbq

shop for and make a meal

dessert competition

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Moonhawk said:

Oh no, let's not starting talking snakes. My 7yo told me last week that a snake went under the house. I told him to stay away from there, and what did the snake look like? Did it have color stripes or diamonds on it? No it's mostly brownish, and not diamonds. Just squares, but kind of standing on their sides and touching at the corners. 🤦‍♀️

Well this has been fun but I need to go pour myself a drink or something, lol.

Ug. Hopefully a roadrunner or a king snake will move in next door and take care of that unwanted snake with "squares standing on their sides and touching at the corners"...

• Like 1

My kids had a fun book 101 places to see before you're 12 or something like that. (Corrected: 101 places you gotta see before you're 12!) But it wasn't places like specific national parks it was things like "a living history museum, your parents workplace" it was actually really cool. I wonder if we still have it ....

Edited by theelfqueen
  • Like 2

Ok I do still have it ... so here's some of the list (the book has a lot more detail and fun stickers to mark off stuff)

1) a lighthouse

2) a landfill (we visited the recycling sorting center in our city ... fascianting)

3) an artist's studio 

4) a migration path

5) a skate park

6) a working farm 

7) a space place

😎 an animal rescue center

9) a superlative place (smallest, deepest, highest...) 

10) a faraway island (it suggest an island in a large lake not just Tahiti) 

11) an antiquarian bookstore 

12) an old growth forest

13) a ghost town ...

A place of worship different from your own, your elected officials office, a haunted place, "a place where they make cool stuff, an eccentric eatery.... and lots more 

• Like 3

get sodas at an old-fashioned soda fountain

go to a classical music concert

visit an aquarium

visit a planetarium

go caroling

over-tip someone who seems to be having a bad day

eat at a Japanese steakhouse with a hibachi grill

• Like 5
16 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

Some of my family have Hobbit tendencies as well -- but this mostly shows in the Second Breakfast category.  🙂

Cool list, though.   🧙‍♂️

Except for that bit with the tarantula -- No Way In Hades that would ever make it on my list. 

image.jpeg.e9ec267ab22f5fec77e53fd8cc1d664d.jpeg

This is my 11 yr old girl to a tee!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
3 hours ago, MissLemon said:

See the US via Amtrak

That has been on my list.m for years. I hear the line through the Rockys is gorgeous and there’s one that follows the coast from CA to WA. 

There’s a train here that will take you out to Death Valley to see the Milky Way. DV is a dark sky park. That would knock out a couple on the list all at once. 

• Like 1
On 9/24/2020 at 12:17 PM, Plum said:

make donuts from scratch

stay up all night

go kayaking

visit a ghost town

build a house of cards

ride a horse

see the Grand Canyon

go kart racing

mini golf

Tidepools. Playing in todepools should never ever be missed as a child, regardless how far you must drive. 

• Like 2
On 9/24/2020 at 4:58 PM, Plum said:

I'm scared to Google these, I'm freaked out enough by thinking about a tarantula on my foot!

Are they seruoisly flying spiders??? Because I can't handle that information ...

15 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

I'm scared to Google these, I'm freaked out enough by thinking about a tarantula on my foot!

Are they seruoisly flying spiders??? Because I can't handle that information ...

It’s a wasp that kills tarantulas in the worst imaginable way. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Terabith said:

What is the green flash?  Google is failing me. 

Here is a short article about the phenomenon. Right as the sun sinks below the horizon you can sometimes catch a very short "flash" of green light where the edge of the sun disappears at the horizon. You can see it for about 2 seconds at 1:29 - 1:31 in to this video. I've never seen it, but apparently it can be much more dramatic in person than what you see in this video.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Terabith said:

What is the green flash?  Google is failing me. 

8 hours ago, Lori D. said:

Here is a short article about the phenomenon. Right as the sun sinks below the horizon you can sometimes catch a very short "flash" of green light where the edge of the sun disappears at the horizon. You can see it for about 2 seconds at 1:29 - 1:31 in to this video. I've never seen it, but apparently it can be much more dramatic in person than what you see in this video.

I've seen it many times over the Pacific Ocean.  I've heard about the dramatic flashes, but all the times I've seen it, it has just looked like the last bit of sun turning green. 

• Like 1

Ok, I'll just toss this out. I don't think experiences locally (which are really great and important!) are the same thing as Tookishness. I've talked about this with other adults irl, and it seems like some people just have a *need* to go and adventure and some don't, and that it connects to how much they traveled as kids. Maybe not, but that's how it seemed. I lived many places as a child, so for me the world is my oyster, just buy a ticket and go! For my dh, there's such reticence to travel, even when he thinks he wants to. He'd never do it on his own, so I facilitate those adventures.

I think the everyday intransigence is more like anxiety, executive function, transitioning, it being easier to stay home. My ds is like this. It can just be pulling mud to get him out the door sometimes. But I try to nurture some Took in him too, where we just GO somewhere, put ourselves out there, go a place we've never been before.

-random camping 1-2 hours from the house

-buy cheap plane tickets to somewhere you've never been and then figure out what you can do there

-random new ethnic restaurants in the big city (cheapest way to travel!)

I don't think it's so much the expense as the change of place, dealing with obstacles and the unknown, putting yourself out there and seeing if you can deal with the novel situations thrown at you. (not knowing where things are, reading a map, finding things, making yourself comfortable in new situations)

I very intentionally travel now with my ds because I heard so many stories of kids with his level of challenges (ASD2) being unwilling to travel. I kind of, um, lie, make up truisms, say things I have to talk myself into, anything to make it happen.

-"Trying something new is fun!"

-"I like trying new things."

-"It's ok if things go wrong." 

-"We'll plan on something going wrong on this trip."

-"What we do on this one will help us do the next one better. It's a learning trip."

etc. LOL I mean, that's totally not how I FEEL about going anywhere (camping, cruising, anything), but I say this kind of drivel and jibberish to him to get him out the door and make him think it's ok to overcome his anxiety and make up something new.

I think tarantulas would definitely take a lot of lying. As in me, I couldn't make up enough jibberish to make that one happen. You go girl. :biggrin:

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

... putting yourself out there and seeing if you can deal with the novel situations thrown at you. (not knowing where things are, reading a map, finding things, making yourself comfortable in new situations)

I very intentionally travel now with my ds because I heard so many stories of kids with his level of challenges (ASD2) being unwilling to travel. I kind of, um, lie, make up truisms, say things I have to talk myself into, anything to make it happen.

-"What we do on this one will help us do the next one better. It's a learning trip."

etc. LOL I mean, that's totally not how I FEEL about going anywhere (camping, cruising, anything), but I say this kind of drivel and jibberish to him to get him out the door and make him think it's ok to overcome his anxiety and make up something new.

Great thoughts, PeterPan. 😄 

And-- that is not lying or gibberish, but setting up positive brain patterns to counteractive negative "stuck" patterns. But also, it *is* the truth to remind yourself that things DO sometimes go sideways from what we planned, and that we CAN adapt to that. Make lemonade out of lemons -- it's not the experience we expected, but we can choose to go with the unexpected flow and make a different kind of experience -- sometimes that can even turn out to be better than what we planned originally.

That actually happened to us on one camping trip.

We planned to camp for several days and fish at a little lake. We drove several hours to get there and when we arrived, we discovered we'd forgotten the tent poles. So we jury-rigged the tent to hold it up (sort of, lol) with a rope run through the tent pole sleeves and tying to the branch of a tree above the tent. The fish weren't biting at all, and there was a very annoying person camping next to us. So after the first night, we packed up and decided to try another small lake/camp ground an hour away. It was full up. So we get back in the car and drive another hour to another camp site with no lake. All full up again. At this point DH is so frustrated he just heads us for home. The boys were so glum. I was thinking, "how to turn these lemons into lemonade," and was blessed by sudden inspiration: "We'll camp in the back yard!" So I started talking it up: We'll set up the tent and sleep outside, we'll have a campfire in the Weber BBQ kettle-style grill, we'll "swim in the lake" (kiddie pool -- and swimming was something we couldn't do at the campsite lake due to giardiasis) ... As soon as we turned into our neighborhood, I said "okay, start looking for a good campsite! What do you think about this one? No, it looks like it's already taken..." By the time we reached home, the boys were SO excited to find the perfect campsite and set up camp in the backyard, it was fantastic! We had one of our best camping trips ever! This adventure is the story behind me listing "camp in the backyard" as a fun item to put on an adventure list, lol. 😄 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, PeterPan said:

Ok, I'll just toss this out. I don't think experiences locally (which are really great and important!) are the same thing as Tookishness. I've talked about this with other adults irl, and it seems like some people just have a *need* to go and adventure and some don't, and that it connects to how much they traveled as kids. Maybe not, but that's how it seemed. I lived many places as a child, so for me the world is my oyster, just buy a ticket and go! For my dh, there's such reticence to travel, even when he thinks he wants to. He'd never do it on his own, so I facilitate those adventures.

I think the everyday intransigence is more like anxiety, executive function, transitioning, it being easier to stay home. My ds is like this. It can just be pulling mud to get him out the door sometimes. But I try to nurture some Took in him too, where we just GO somewhere, put ourselves out there, go a place we've never been before.

-random camping 1-2 hours from the house

-buy cheap plane tickets to somewhere you've never been and then figure out what you can do there

-random new ethnic restaurants in the big city (cheapest way to travel!)

I don't think it's so much the expense as the change of place, dealing with obstacles and the unknown, putting yourself out there and seeing if you can deal with the novel situations thrown at you. (not knowing where things are, reading a map, finding things, making yourself comfortable in new situations)

I think tarantulas would definitely take a lot of lying. As in me, I couldn't make up enough jibberish to make that one happen. You go girl. :biggrin:

I've had to say some of those same things. Having a perfectionist on board, we've sought out arts, crafts and other activities that have the potential for failure. 

There were a number of years we had to skip all fun adventures because we couldn't afford it. I looked for activities that we could do that didn't cost a lot or we got the most bang for our buck. Museum memberships were always a must-have. I know we have it in us to go out on adventures. It's more of a matter of kickstarting our inner Took. One of Dh's best stories is when he was young and went camping with a friend. They had no supplies and no real experience. It was one of the worst trips as far as bad luck, but one of the best stories. I have some adventures in my youth as well. 

My kids haven't faced much adversity and challenge. Thinking on my feet is a skill I never mastered. I'm good when I can make a plan. I can research with the best of them. But I'm no good in an emergency. Part of that comes from life experience, knowing one can handle themselves when things get hard. So that is part of my goal here. 😉

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Still working on the list. 

BTW The Hobbit and Philosophy (For When You’ve Lost Your Dwarves, Your Wizard, and Your Way) is a great companion to The Hobbit and introduces the idea of  how going on adventures and creating new experiences helps you grow. It’s handy for when your kids don’t take your word for it and require further evidence. Or maybe they just like to have more discussion when introducing something like an experience jar. 😉

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470405147/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_fab_YZIFFbF4NEGA3

• Like 1