Menu

Algebra Supplement

I’m looking for some suggestions for a site with algebra practice to use as a supplement. We’ve been using alcumus for a long time as our supplement, but my daughter needs a break from it and would like to use something else. I’m not sure what else is out there that would fit this need. The other sites I’ve come across seem to be full algebra programs/curriculums.

14 hours ago, kristin0713 said:

Dragonbox maybe? 

I've actually worked through the entire Dragonbox algebra thing, and I have to say that it's weird.  It uses an entirely different part of the brain to do the problems.  I wouldn't be surprised if the skills learned in the Dragonbox setting didn't transfer well to a student's math achievement, and for this reason, I decided not to use it with my bonus algebra students.

Of course I could be wrong.

Edited by EKS
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, EKS said:

I've actually worked through the entire Dragonbox algebra thing, and I have to say that it's weird.  It uses an entirely different part of the brain to do the problems.  I wouldn't be surprised if the skills learned in the Dragonbox setting didn't transfer well to a student's math achievement, and for this reason, I decided not to use it with my bonus algebra students.

This somewhat matches my experience.

I've also gone through all the Dragonbox apps.  Even though I have a very thorough understanding of algebra, sometimes I still had to think a bit to figure out what concept they were modeling in various levels.

All of my boys have also gone through all the Dragonbox apps, and the skills they learn don't seem to directly translate into algebraic understanding.  My 9 year old has spent the last year going through Hands on Equations, and only last week did he have the Eureka moment of figuring out that Dragonbox algebra was allowing him to preform the same operations that he can now use on the HOE balance.  Like you said, the learning does seem to take place in a different part of the brain.

• Like 1

Well, if not Dragonbox, have you looked at Khan Academy? I think it has some quests similar to Alcumus' style. I don't know if you have to watch their videos to progress or if you can just do practice problems. It is a far second to Alcumus', but for the price I haven't heard of anything else even in the ballpark of those two.

40 minutes ago, EKS said:

That was my impression from the reviews I read and what I'd seen. But I hadn't actually worked through it, so it's good to hear it confirmed. 

5 hours ago, SusanC said:

Well, if not Dragonbox, have you looked at Khan Academy? I think it has some quests similar to Alcumus' style. I don't know if you have to watch their videos to progress or if you can just do practice problems. It is a far second to Alcumus', but for the price I haven't heard of anything else even in the ballpark of those two.

I’ve never looked at Khan. Thank you for the suggestion I’ll look into it more.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, Not_a_Number said:

That was my impression from the reviews I read and what I'd seen. But I hadn't actually worked through it, so it's good to hear it confirmed. 

On 9/26/2020 at 11:47 AM, wendyroo said:

This somewhat matches my experience.

I've also gone through all the Dragonbox apps.  Even though I have a very thorough understanding of algebra, sometimes I still had to think a bit to figure out what concept they were modeling in various levels.

All of my boys have also gone through all the Dragonbox apps, and the skills they learn don't seem to directly translate into algebraic understanding.  My 9 year old has spent the last year going through Hands on Equations, and only last week did he have the Eureka moment of figuring out that Dragonbox algebra was allowing him to preform the same operations that he can now use on the HOE balance.  Like you said, the learning does seem to take place in a different part of the brain.

I find this interesting.  My son is working through AoPS Intro to Alg right now, and he'll periodically say, "Oh, this is just like that Dragonbox game!  I'm so glad I played that because this makes complete sense to me!"  Then again, I just got done writing a post about how I have no idea what to do now for math because I have no idea how to teach this kid (and am not bright enough to do AoPS myself), so maybe it only works for certain types of brains.

7 hours ago, eternallytired said:

I find this interesting.  My son is working through AoPS Intro to Alg right now, and he'll periodically say, "Oh, this is just like that Dragonbox game!  I'm so glad I played that because this makes complete sense to me!"  Then again, I just got done writing a post about how I have no idea what to do now for math because I have no idea how to teach this kid (and am not bright enough to do AoPS myself), so maybe it only works for certain types of brains.

Interesting! Yeah, different people are differently in how they interact with patterns.

• 2 weeks later...