Menu

UC Flu Vaccine Mandate

hopeallgoeswell

6 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

Well, the Constitutionalist thinks all vaccine mandates that don't have a religious exemption are unconstitutional, so there's that. If they truly allow exemptions for employees but not students, that had better get struck down because there's no reason for it.

There's a long history of courts upholding vaccination requirements without religious exemptions.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/where-does-the-governments-right-to-require-vaccinations-come-from

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, hopeallgoeswell said:

I researched their first "fact" and that was it for me. There is supporting voluntary vaccination, and there is intentionally misconstruing science and statistics to support a particular viewpoint.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I don't know exactly how UCs are handling this year, but my kid's big 10 campus has offered almost everything with an online section.  They moved even more stuff online moving into the semester.   It is not mandatory for students to be on campus at all.  Students are taking classes around the world right now.  So it's not like their isn't an accommodation for students who cannot or will not be vaccinated.  

20 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I don't know exactly how UCs are handling this year, but my kid's big 10 campus has offered almost everything with an online section.  They moved even more stuff online moving into the semester.   It is not mandatory for students to be on campus at all.  Students are taking classes around the world right now.  So it's not like their isn't an accommodation for students who cannot or will not be vaccinated.  

It appears that even if students are 100% online, unless they have a medical exemption, they have to get it.  The employees who will be on campus will have to get it unless they have a medical exemption.  Religious exemption requests will be adjudicated for employees only, not students.

https://www.ucop.edu/uc-health/_files/UC Immunization Exemption Policy.pdf

We don't usually get the flu vaccine, but if my kid is living in a dorm, I have no issue with it being required.   I think its reasonable to require vaccines for easily communicable illnesses if people are sharing close spaces.  I don't agree that off campus should be required. 

I'm not sure how we will handle Covid vaccine,  I assume it will be required as well next year- but I will worry about side affects depending on how well tested it is.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hopeallgoeswell said:

Was this the study you researched? https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7115556/

The seven "facts" listed in the letter:

1. People who receive the flu vaccine are 65% more likely to contract non-flu viruses and bacteria than people who do not receive the flu vaccine.
  2. There is evidence that the flu vaccine doesn’t reduce demand on hospitals.
  3. There is no evidence that the flu vaccine prevents the spread of influenza viruses.
  4. The flu vaccine has not reduced pneumonia and influenza mortality.
  5. The flu vaccine fails to prevent the flu about 65% of the time.
  6. Repeat flu vaccination has been shown to increase the likelihood of flu vaccine failure.
  7. The overall benefits of flu vaccination and flu vaccine policies are not clear.
Edited by melmichigan
  • Confused 1