Menu

Spanish level lower than expected/transcript question

Help please! My daughter has taken Spanish the last several years and had she stayed at her brick and mortar school would have been taking Spanish 4 this year as a Junior.  She recently started her homeschool Spanish program (through Homeschool Spanish Academy) and after the placement test was put in their Spanish 2A program. As I've gotten deeper into homeschooling, I'm not surprised as I now see that her previous school was lagging behind academically (this has been evident in her sister's classes as well). She has taken all of the hardest classes and has essentially breezed through it all.  She wanted more rigor. But I think she's really disappointed to not be where she should be after so many years of Spanish.  My question is, how would you list this on her transcript?  She will show Spanish 1, 2, and 3 already complete.  I wouldn't want to show her stepping back to Spanish 2, but can't really list it as Spanish 4 either.  

@LakeMom... And feel free to ask the teacher at HSA to cover review material faster since it is likely she placed there because she's not solid on a few concepts/grammar points in HSA's scope & sequence so she forgot them during the placement test.

HSA will have her talking more in Spanish than she probably ever did in class so the "Conversation" title will fit well, IMO.

I had a similar situation with a student a few years ago. She had taken 3 years of high school Spanish and yet, they basically only had done vocab and no grammar and little conversation. I had her join my dd in Breaking the Barrier Spanish and she has done books 1 and 2 with us. I believe she called it Conversational Spanish and Advanced Conversational Spanish. 

• Like 3

The REALITY of what happens in classes, even college classes, is not listed on transcripts. One of the hardest things about homeschooling is that parents feel pressure to be honest, and that is unfair to students when they are being compared to students that are not being labeled with the same criteria and honesty.

Very very very very few brick and mortar classes finish the full grammar in 2 classes or even 4 classes, and supposedly "honest" is finishing the full grammar in 2 classes, with classes 3 and 4 using the topics learned in the grammar to read literature in the language.

• Like 2