Menu

Bread bakers - an ingredient question

alisoncooks

Stumbled across this recipe: https://www.thebossykitchen.com/savory-quick-bread-with-cheese-and-olives/. It looks tasty and I'm thinking it might come in handy for travel meals. 

The question: it calls for white wine in the ingredients. I don't drink and I hate buying things just for one recipe. What is the purpose of the wine here...and what would you sub for it?

The purpose is the specific flavor wine gives.  There is no substitute for the real flavor. The alcohol cooks off in minutes. If you go into a liquor store they carry 6-packs of white and red wine (inexpensive) in small, 1-2 glass bottles.  Those are perfect for someone who only uses it for cooking.

Technically there is also "cooking wine" in the area of the grocery store with extracts, but it's so gross and over-salted it might kill the yeast.  Go for the small bottles of the real stuff, even if it's the cheap kind.

While you're at it grab a 6-pack of red too and throw it in beef roasts and stews.

• Like 7

In that recipe, it looks like the white wine is serving the purpose of liquid and flavor.

I would substitute with water and a tablespoon or two of nice fruity vinegar, maybe verjuice. Even lemon juice. Think about the other ingredients and what flavor palette would match. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Katy said:

The purpose is the specific flavor wine gives.  There is no substitute for the real flavor. The alcohol cooks off in minutes. If you go into a liquor store they carry 6-packs of white and red wine (inexpensive) in small, 1-2 glass bottles.  Those are perfect for someone who only uses it for cooking.

Technically there is also "cooking wine" in the area of the grocery store with extracts, but it's so gross and over-salted it might kill the yeast.  Go for the small bottles of the real stuff, even if it's the cheap kind.

While you're at it grab a 6-pack of red too and throw it in beef roasts and stews.

I entirely agree.

BTW, although we like to drink wine in our family, I use those 6 packs for making fondue, routinely.  Cooking wine would not taste right, and this way I’m not boxed in to having to open a whole bottle of wine for one recipe.  So you might find that you use this more than you might anticipate.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do a lot of baking and in that recipe the wine mainly provides liquid with some slight nuance of flavor.  Given that it is a quick bread with plenty of flavorful ingredients, I would probably use water*** for the liquid aspect and a dried herb of choice to add a bit of nuance.  I think apple/white grape juice could also work but would add a hint of sweetness which may or may not be to your taste.  I think a vinegar blend might add too much tang.

***In actuality, I would first look and see if I had some liquid that needed using.  A bit of tomato sauce?  Add water and use.  A tad of yogurt or sour cream? An almost empty carton of milk? add and supplement with water to make a 1/2 cup.....  Quick breads are wonderfully versatile that way....

• Like 4

Thanks for the feedback. I've subbed for wine in regular cooking recipes (stews and such) but I wasn't sure about the bread. 

I've never in my life purchased alcohol, lol, so I wouldn't have a clue what to even get. I'll probably experiment without first, and see how it turns out. I was planning on green and black olives and cheddar...which are pretty loud flavors. 

What about beer in bread? My fave loaf at the bakery is a beer & cheese loaf. Does beer provide more than just flavor -- or does the carbonation have a job?

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks for the feedback. I've subbed for wine in regular cooking recipes (stews and such) but I wasn't sure about the bread. 

I've never in my life purchased alcohol, lol, so I wouldn't have a clue what to even get. I'll probably experiment without first, and see how it turns out. I was planning on green and black olives and cheddar...which are pretty loud flavors. 

What about beer in bread? My fave loaf at the bakery is a beer & cheese loaf. Does beer provide more than just flavor -- or does the carbonation have a job?

Yes, the bubbles in the beer are functional, and the taste is also important.  And beer bread is pretty much the easiest bread in the world to make.  

• Like 1

Just now, Carol in Cal. said:

Yes, the bubbles in the beer are functional, and the taste is also important.  And beer bread is pretty much the easiest bread in the world to make.  

Thanks! Maybe I'll just look for a beer bread recipe that I can add the cheese and stuff to... 

(The one I get at the bakery has cheddar on top and chunks of cream cheese inside...so good!) 

44 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Thanks! Maybe I'll just look for a beer bread recipe that I can add the cheese and stuff to... 

(The one I get at the bakery has cheddar on top and chunks of cream cheese inside...so good!) 

NYT has a Quick Beer Bread recipe.  I know some of their recipes can only be seen if you have a subscription; if you can't see it, I'll send it to you privately.  I make it ALL the time and according to comments people freely add stuff to it.  I've made it with beer only, with what's leftover from an open bottle  and topped  off with whey drained from yogurt (I make my own Greek yogurt), and sometimes, even with just the whey and no beer at all.  This bread, in every version, meets with rave reviews....  It is best warm and toasted.   MMMMMM.  We just finished off a loaf today.  Guess what will be on my To Do list for tomorrow? 🙂

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vmsurbat1 said:

NYT has a Quick Beer Bread recipe.  I know some of their recipes can only be seen if you have a subscription; if you can't see it, I'll send it to you privately.  I make it ALL the time and according to comments people freely add stuff to it.  I've made it with beer only, with what's leftover from an open bottle  and topped  off with whey drained from yogurt (I make my own Greek yogurt), and sometimes, even with just the whey and no beer at all.  This bread, in every version, meets with rave reviews....  It is best warm and toasted.   MMMMMM.  We just finished off a loaf today.  Guess what will be on my To Do list for tomorrow? 🙂

Thanks! I was able to see it, though not any reviews (which stinks cause I like to read the recipe reviews). 🙂

So the recipe calls for a bland beer. Any suggestions? I couldn't tell you one beer from the next. 

I rarely drink, but I do cook with alcohol.  Except when we lived in a state that you had to go to a liquor store to buy anything except beer I just go to a large grocery store.  Most medium-large grocery stores have an alcohol section, and bonus, they'll usually check out all your groceries there and there's usually no line in that area.

I've also bought wine at Sam's Club, Costco, and Trader Joe's, but I don't think I've ever seen those tiny bottles perfect for cooking in them before.

So the recipe calls for a bland beer. Any suggestions? I couldn't tell you one beer from the next. 

Well, any of your typical Budweisers or Millers will fall into bland.  I can read the comments and people use pretty much whatever they have on hand. 🙂 from Lite Beers to dark, hoppy IPA beers.  I'm of the "whatever we have on hand" and if I have to buy a can/bottle, I always get what's on sale.  I'm not drinking it, after all.....

And, typical additions include:  herbs (fresh/dried), sautéed onions/peppers, cheeses of all kinds, olives, too.  I don't personally add much to my bread because I like to put the stuff on top, not in it..... And it lends itself to more versatility.  I can top with homemade jam and pb at one meal, sautéed veggies and cheese at the next.....

Edited by vmsurbat1
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, vmsurbat1 said:

I don't personally add much to my bread because I like to put the stuff on top, not in it..... And it lends itself to more versatility.  I can top with homemade jam and pb at one meal, sautéed veggies and cheese at the next.....

Makes sense. I'm trying to plan in advance for potential holiday travel. Every year we end up eating junk, and I'm thinking something similar to a picnic loaf (but simpler) would be nicer than Happy Meals. Like a charcuterie to go...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alisoncooks said:

Makes sense. I'm trying to plan in advance for potential holiday travel. Every year we end up eating junk, and I'm thinking something similar to a picnic loaf (but simpler) would be nicer than Happy Meals. Like a charcuterie to go...

I hope I'm not derailing your thread, but since you want this bread to travel, I suggest you use a different recipe, one with yeast if you are willing to give it a go. Quick breads (eg. banana bread), by their very nature, do not develop much gluten which greatly contributes to the sturdiness of the bread.  I think the Beer Bread would end up very crumbly if taken on a trip... 

If you want a super easy, no-knead yeast bread (which is ALSO variable in terms of flour/liquid), I highly recommend trying out this one:

https://alexandracooks.com/2012/11/07/my-mothers-peasant-bread-the-best-easiest-bread-you-will-ever-make/

This is *very* similar to recipes made over here in South Central Europe, the main change being a bit more yeast and salt to make the dough rise quicker.  No-knead breads have been around for centuries....  Here, a kilo of flour is raised with just a teaspoon of yeast--the rising takes overnight+.

But, for a good quick yeast bread (that develops the gluten!), try the recipe I linked.  It will be a very tasty loaf well-suited for meats and cheese and traveling. 

If you have time, make the full batch as written (4 cups flour) and bake it in one well-greased 2 qt pan (casserole style).  Don't be afraid to bake it a good extra 10-15 minutes longer than called for after turning the oven temp down--you want it done.  Let it cool at least an hour before slicing.  It is delicious fresh-baked with a smear of butter.  SO GOOD!

Also, I routinely sub 1 c. cornmeal for flour.  You could use some beer for the liquid, too, if you wanted.  I use my leftover whey in this, too. And, lastly, if I were definitely planning on serving this with salty meats (salami, prosciutto), I might decrease the salt by 1/2 tsp.....

Happy Baking!

• Like 1