Menu

Tooth Fairy - what’s the going rate?

Spryte

1 hour ago, ashfern said:

Personally, I think that teeth are gross and saving them is disgusting. I wasn't complaining about anything just sharing what I did, an alternative as it were, without disparaging the people who "do" teeth and the tooth fairy. I'll share here that we don't "do" Santa gifts either. 😲

Ah. I agree that teeth are a little gross. We didn't save them either. Does anybody seriously do that?

(No, I lie. We did save one tooth because my kid insisted. They put it in their pocket, it got bumped around by coins and pebbles and childhood detritus, and by the time it finally resurfaced it had broken into pieces. An interesting and edifying experience.)

3 minutes ago, Tanaqui said:

Ah. I agree that teeth are a little gross. We didn't save them either. Does anybody seriously do that?

(No, I lie. We did save one tooth because my kid insisted. They put it in their pocket, it got bumped around by coins and pebbles and childhood detritus, and by the time it finally resurfaced it had broken into pieces. An interesting and edifying experience.)

I save some old teeth, but not for sentimental reasons.  I just like having an insurance policy in case a new tooth is lost-lost in the falling out process.  This has happened to us a few times.  Twice I was pretty sure the tooth was swallowed overnight, and the child started despairing, but lo and behold a tooth turned up mixed up in the bedding.  Once we were at the beach and the child dropped the tooth in the sand never to be found.  I convinced them I was sure it had fallen into the sand toy bin.  When we got home we dumped out the sand toys and found a tooth at the bottom of the bin.

• Like 1

Back when the tooth fairy last visited here, I think she was giving a few dollars, maybe five at the absolute most.

I just used an inflation calculator to see how much the 25 cents I used to get would be in today's dollars and discovered that it is $1.21.  So my kids were doing pretty well!