Menu

Online college?

Janeway

Something oldest son learned about himself during this time is that he actually prefers online courses. He has actually spent more time online than in person this semester. He wants to move back home and switch to 100% online. However, clearly, this will not be offered at the school he is currently at, once Covid is over. I am trying to figure out if state universities are likely to have enough online that a student could get through four years worth or what options are out there. It is kind of difficult to figure out when every single school has online options right now. He would be doing computer science. I have already discussed with him that perhaps he just hated being on campus because of the Covid stuff and he says maybe, that could be a part of it, but it does not matter. He wants to be home and online and have that be the plan. So for spring, we would like to transfer him, but also know that it could take longer than that. Any suggestions? I do not want to pay for what would be a low quality program just because it is online. 

I think it is difficult right now to know what the combination of online/in person options will be at many schools over the next several years.  Also, I don't think what many students are experiencing right now as online learning is necessarily what is typical when an entire major is designed to be online.  I would encourage him to take a bit of time and notice what it is that he does or does not like about classes online and then ask around a bit to see how that might translate into working on an entire degree online.  

Dd spent some time this weekend looking into online CS degrees in case she decides to do that instead of Computer Information Systems. The program she thought looked good based on the overall rating of the university and the department was University of Florida online. 

Here's the link:

https://ufonline.ufl.edu/degrees/undergraduate/computer-science/

This is the CS degree from their College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, not Engineering. The core courses are the same, the difference is the general ed requirements.

(Some of what dd is looking for depends on how military friendly a school is, so some of her considerations might not apply to your son.)

Edited by chiguirre
  • Like 2

Based upon some very quick research I did for friends here (their older DD would like to be an International student in the USA) I believe there are some schools in the USA that have Online Undergraduate degrees.   Possibly I googled on usnews.com to find that information. If you end up going in that direction, I strongly suggest that it be a school that has a lot of students in the Major.  If that's the case, they are less likely to drop the program...

NOTE: This would be FAR EASIER to find if someone is looking for a Masters Online program in Engineering.   Quite common.  Recently, I read of an Online Masters in C.S. that was very inexpensive. From GEORGIA TECH!

Good luck to your DS!

There are hundreds of online CS degrees being offered. The key is to look at places that have offered the degree before the emergency pandemic online learning hit. UF (linked above) has been offering theirs for many years and is a fabulous institution. (It's my alma mater, so I may be a bit biased) A few others that my son looked at (online IT degree, but most have CS, too) are Georgia Southern, Oregon State, and FSU.

He looked at most of the places in this article https://www.computersciencezone.org/the-best-online-bachelors-in-computer-science-degrees/ - (staying away from the for profit schools).

Edited by CinV
  • Like 2

OP this URL is probably a good place for your DS to begin his research. 

https://www.usnews.com/education/online-education/bachelors

I notice that Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University is #2 on the list. If they have C.S. Undergraduate degrees, that  would be a good school to investigate. The first MOOC course I took (3 or 4 years ago?) was from ERAU and in my experience was quite awesome. I believe that I have read that ERAU is highly rated for the Online degrees they offer,  but I don't remember where I read that.  🙂

12 hours ago, CinV said:

There are hundreds of online CS degrees being offered. The key is to look at places that have offered the degree before the emergency pandemic online learning hit. UF (linked above) has been offering theirs for many years and is a fabulous institution. (It's my alma mater, so I may be a bit biased) A few others that my son looked at (online IT degree, but most have CS, too) are Georgia Southern, Oregon State, and FSU.

He looked at most of the places in this article https://www.computersciencezone.org/the-best-online-bachelors-in-computer-science-degrees/ - (staying away from the for profit schools).

I see Oregon State is number one here which doesn’t surprise me. They’ve been doing online for quite awhile and have both a regular BS and a post-bac BS in computer science. I know several grads of their regular, not online CS program, and they all had their pick of jobs with very high pay after graduation. I know only one person who was disappointed in the program, as he had been doing CS work for pay since middle school. He dropped out after the first quarter when he landed a six figure job.

I would confine your search to well regarded b&m schools.  As for programs, you want to be careful about their saying it can be done entirely online only to find out that only one particular path can be done online.  It should be easy to find out exactly what classes are required for the degree and that they are all offered online.  If it isn't, run the other way.

On 9/21/2020 at 10:26 PM, Frances said:

I see Oregon State is number one here which doesn’t surprise me. They’ve been doing online for quite awhile and have both a regular BS and a post-bac BS in computer science. I know several grads of their regular, not online CS program, and they all had their pick of jobs with very high pay after graduation. I know only one person who was disappointed in the program, as he had been doing CS work for pay since middle school. He dropped out after the first quarter when he landed a six figure job.

I was also going to suggest OSU. I found them recently doing an intense search for online Chinese classes. One benefit is that their online classes are at the in-state tuition rate. 

Also, find out what the policy is for exams. At least as of a few years back, some programs allow coursework to be done online, but still want tests done on campus. This is kind of tough when the campus is several states away!