Jump to content

Menu

Happy scientist- indicted


Recommended Posts

One more thing shattering my outlook on the world.
FYI, he is a registered member here, so I wasn’t sure if/how to share the information within board guidelines.

I used his website with my dds and pretty recently subscribed to his channel. I really believed in his work. I’m shocked, and my thoughts are with his victims.

  • Sad 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugh. This makes me so angry. We supported him and his videos and channel and recommended them constantly. This infuriates me. 

Especially rough after my kids favorite Ninja Warrior found guilty of similar crimes. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

We also used some of his content back in the day. There used to be a homeschool site that included access to his subscription content and we had that... I can’t even remember where it was through. That’s just despicable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Btervet said:

Especially rough after my kids favorite Ninja Warrior found guilty of similar crimes. 

I went looking for more info after reading this- not Drew! 😣😥 My son took several classes with him years ago, and we both really liked him. He was such a good teacher, and so good with my extremely cautious kid. The 2020 hits just keep on coming.

  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, maize said:

If he is registered here how do we get him banned?

 

I don’t think he has posted inappropriate things.  From time to time I saw answers to a science question - like suggesting a book to use, that were helpful. 

Are there rules about banning people for criminal indictments?  

 

Edited by Pen
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pen said:

 

I don’t think he has posted inappropriate things.  From time to time I saw answers to a science question - like suggesting a book to use, that were helpful. 

Are there rules about banning people for criminal indictments?  

 

It's a privately owned space, so I think SWB can do whatever she wants.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, square_25 said:

Ugh.

I’ve heard of enough of these cases to be kind of sketched out when men want to work with children too much, which can’t get a good attitude, but sadly is too often evidence-based.

Not so fun fact: the Canadian team leader for one of the times I went to the IMO was arrested on child porn charges many years later. I didn’t like him much and the feeling was mutual. He did, however, have two protégés he had worked with since they were kids on the same IMO team. One of them committed suicide in college for unknown reasons. Connected? No idea. Everyone was very closed about it. But I’ve sometimes wondered.

I know.

Most men aren't pedophiles. But men who are pedophiles can be motivated to work with children.

And sexual abuse of children is mostly committed by men.

Rules requiring at least two adults in a room when children are there have been implemented in many organizations such as scouts, but they aren't applied in classrooms, or in many school-connected extracurricular activities. It seems to me we need to make such a policy universal.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

My kids have had male dance teachers, tumbling coaches, martial arts instructors, etc.

I appreciate positive male influences in their lives and have never had cause to suspect anything ill of any of these men.

But I am a bit extra vigilant and watchful, and would certainly be wary of any hint of grooming behavior.

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SereneHome said:

Someone posted on FB (I didn't research it any further) that new owners of Homeschooler buyer co-op are being investigated for fraud, so if you are thinking of purchasing anything through them, keep that in mind

Didn’t realize it had changed hands.  The first article I found just now and it said Choi is being charged with fraudulent PPP loans that went for personal use. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SereneHome said:

Someone posted on FB (I didn't research it any further) that new owners of Homeschooler buyer co-op are being investigated for fraud, so if you are thinking of purchasing anything through them, keep that in mind

So sad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not say I'm extra vigilant about male teachers, coaches, etc. But also, when it turned out that the head of my son's former theater was accused of improper conduct, dh and I were the ones who contacted the media and raised an enormous stink. And people were nasty and threatening to us about it. Because it doesn't matter how vigilant people think they're being... I'm telling you - when it goes down in a group that you're a part of, the vast majority of people immediately rush to protect the accused person because they just don't want to believe it could really have happened and they don't want to feel like they did the wrong thing by trusting their kids to the person or the institution. When all the facts came out (thank goodness for local journalism - this is why it's needed!!!) we were very much affirmed in having taken all the steps afterward that we did. And all the defenders magically disappeared and instead people thanked us and the paper that brought the whole thing to light because it was pretty bad.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Farrar said:

I would not say I'm extra vigilant about male teachers, coaches, etc. But also, when it turned out that the head of my son's former theater was accused of improper conduct, dh and I were the ones who contacted the media and raised an enormous stink. And people were nasty and threatening to us about it. Because it doesn't matter how vigilant people think they're being... I'm telling you - when it goes down in a group that you're a part of, the vast majority of people immediately rush to protect the accused person because they just don't want to believe it could really have happened and they don't want to feel like they did the wrong thing by trusting their kids to the person or the institution. When all the facts came out (thank goodness for local journalism - this is why it's needed!!!) we were very much affirmed in having taken all the steps afterward that we did. And all the defenders magically disappeared and instead people thanked us and the paper that brought the whole thing to light because it was pretty bad.

Even when people are on the right side, we’ve learned first hand that it can get messy when an organization has a not-yet-convicted member. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...