Menu

French class help

My senior daughter is taking dual enrolled French class because she waited until this year to do her foreign language. She will be able to take French I and French II at the state college, and that will count for 2 years of high school French. However, because of Covid, her class is all online. She does have a book and videos in the online course for help. The only interaction she has with the teacher is when she does oral quizzes and test to check for pronunciation. Obviously, this is not the optimum way to learn a language. I would love to know if anyone has any suggestions for working on the conversational part of the language?

Do you have an Alliance Français near you? Is it still meeting? Does the professor have office hours (online)? Is there a French club on campus that is meeting online? Are there any French tutors associated with the U (my D's school has these that are free for students) that she could practice conversing with?

If none of those are options, I would seek out other students - either in the class or a higher level one.

Barring that, I'd try italki.com - a community tutor, not a teacher.

Meanwhile, I'd be watching my favorite old movies with French dubbing and finding free children's books in French online to try to read. Audiobooks that you can also read along with would be great. I think there is a "slow news" in French if she needs more.