Menu

Favorite liturgical and/or family prayers for morning, midday, evening, mealtimes, bedtime...

MercyA

I found this website recently https://www.dailyoffice2019.com/family/

It's a shortened, family friendly version of the Daily Office prayers of the Anglican tradition. And the website updates so that whenever you click it gives you the readings for that day - it always knows what day and time it is to give you the proper section. I like to screencast it from my laptop to the TV so the kids can read the responses from there.

Description below:

This site invites you to join with Christians around the world in praying with the Church, at any time or in any place you may find yourself. It makes it easy to pray daily morning, midday, evening, and compline (bedtime) prayer without flipping pages, searching for scripture readings or calendars, or interpreting rubrics. The prayers are presented from <The Book of Common Prayer (2019)< of the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) and reflect the ancient patterns of daily prayer Christians have used since the earliest days of the church.

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I love Martin Luther's morning and evening prayers.

Morning Prayer

In the morning when you get up, make the sign of the holy cross and say:

In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Then, kneeling or standing, repeat the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer. If you choose, you may also say this little prayer:

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have kept me this night from all harm and danger; and I pray that You would keep me this day also from sin and every evil, that all my doings and life may please You. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Then go joyfully to your work, singing a hymn, like that of the Ten Commandments, or whatever your devotion may suggest.

Evening Prayer

In the evening when you go to bed, make the sign of the holy cross and say:

In the name of the Father and of the + Son and of the Holy Spirit. Amen.

Then kneeling or standing, repeat the Creed and the Lord’s Prayer. If you choose, you may also say this little prayer:

I thank You, my heavenly Father, through Jesus Christ, Your dear Son, that You have graciously kept me this day; and I pray that You would forgive me all my sins where I have done wrong, and graciously keep me this night. For into Your hands I commend myself, my body and soul, and all things. Let Your holy angel be with me, that the evil foe may have no power over me. Amen.

Then go to sleep at once and in good cheer.

I think I like his little instructions as much or more than the prayers themselves. 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We usually only do a "standard" prayer when the kids are super little, like toddlers. After that it's Spirit inspired free form prayer.

At mealtime: "God is great, God is good, let us thank Him for our food. By His hands we're all well fed, Give us, Lord, our daily bread. In Jesus's name we pray, Amen."

At bedtime: "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep. God's love stay with me through the night, and keep me safe til morning light. God bless Mommy and Daddy and insert siblings names. In Jesus's name we pray, Amen."

I just typed all that out and realized you said "liturgical". Oops, sorry! Obviously these are not liturgical 😊

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have an Evangelical background, so free styling prayer is the norm there, but I've recently started using The Book of Common Prayer for my own devotion time and I find the Litany useful.  It gets in all those things we know we're supposed to pray for, but forget.  I update the language for American society when I pray it M, W, F.

https://www.churchofengland.org/prayer-and-worship/worship-texts-and-resources/book-common-prayer/litany

• Thanks 1

Here is a pamphlet of Family Prayers from the Unitarian Universalist church. They'll obviously use less overtly Christian language, but many of them are quite nice and may spark something new for you. You could also easily sub "God" or "Jesus" in for "spirit" or "source" in a lot of them. There are also a few books cited at the end if you want more sources.

Our nightly dinner blessing is on pg 2: Blessed be the hand that plants the seed/Blessed be the earth giving all that we need/Blessed be the food we share among friends/Blessed be the love that never ends.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Patty Joanna said:

When I was little, I was taught, "...keep.  If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take...."

When I was a teenager and through my own son's small years, I decided that the "death part" was too depressing so I changed to the words you use.  But now that I am older, I am finding that the words I used when I was small are the ones that are truest from my heart.

Isn't that interesting?  (Well, it is to me, anyway.). :0)

I knew those were the "real" words, but I wasn't raised in a praying home so whrn I became a Christian and later a mom I didn't have any emotions or memories associated with that version. And as a mom, I figured I had enough anxiety about my kids' health and didn't to be reminded nightly about the possibility of their deaths 😉

But I agree that the original words are more poignant and meaningful now that I'm an adult.

My morning prayer is the Lorica of St. Patrick. There's a shorter version, which is what I learned as a child, which is the whole "Christ above me, Christ beneath me, Christ before me,..." etc prayer, I think it's still fairly popular. But a few years ago I stumbled on the much longer version and it instantly clicked. There are some archaic phrases that don't exactly apply to me, but on the whole it is a great reminder as I wake up where all my strength comes from, and putting my day/life in His protection. I won't post the whole thing here, but here's the first few lines:

I arise today
Through a mighty strength, the invocation of the Trinity, 
Through a belief in the Threeness, 
Through confession of the Oneness 
Of the Creator of creation.

(Here's a version almost exact to what I say.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have used a book called Anglican Family Prayers by Anne Kitch.  It takes Morning/Evening and few other prayers from the BCP.  We used the evening prayer for years and are getting back to it with the younger one.  We also use the birthday blessing from this book and a few others as applicable.  We add in scripture reading or devotional from Our Daily Bread.   

When we don't use that we just do regular unstructured prayer closeing out with the Lords Prayer.

At one point we used a book calle Celtic Daily Prayer.  We did spend about 2 years with that one woven with the above two prayer styles.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mbelle said:

We have used a book called Anglican Family Prayers by Anne Kitch.  It takes Morning/Evening and few other prayers from the BCP.  We used the evening prayer for years and are getting back to it with the younger one.  We also use the birthday blessing from this book and a few others as applicable.  We add in scripture reading or devotional from Our Daily Bread.   

When we don't use that we just do regular unstructured prayer closeing out with the Lords Prayer.

At one point we used a book calle Celtic Daily Prayer.  We did spend about 2 years with that one woven with the above two prayer styles.

Oh, I have this on my shelf - and today is my younger son's birthday - thank you for the reminder! At church they pray over them on their birthday, and the priest will do a virtual version during the livestream service, but it really isn't the same. WE'll do this tonight at dinner!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

I found this website recently https://www.dailyoffice2019.com/family/

It's a shortened, family friendly version of the Daily Office prayers of the Anglican tradition. And the website updates so that whenever you click it gives you the readings for that day - it always knows what day and time it is to give you the proper section. I like to screencast it from my laptop to the TV so the kids can read the responses from there.

Description below:

This site invites you to join with Christians around the world in praying with the Church, at any time or in any place you may find yourself. It makes it easy to pray daily morning, midday, evening, and compline (bedtime) prayer without flipping pages, searching for scripture readings or calendars, or interpreting rubrics. The prayers are presented from <The Book of Common Prayer (2019)< of the Anglican Church in North America (ACNA) and reflect the ancient patterns of daily prayer Christians have used since the earliest days of the church.

I was just going to post this! My best friend told me about it. I'm a protestant with an RC background and I miss the liturgy.

• Like 1

Night time prayer from the 1928 Book of Common Prayer:

"O GOD, who art the life of mortal men, the light of the faithful, the strength of those who labour, and the repose of the dead; We thank thee for the timely blessings of the day, and humbly supplicate thy merciful protection all this night. Bring us, we beseech thee, in safety to the morning hours; through him who died for us and rose again, thy Son, our Saviour Jesus Christ. Amen."

Susan in TX

• Thanks 1