Menu

Let’s start a Favorite Soups recipe thread

Kidlit

Fall is finally (kind of) in the air here in the Deep South, and my menu planning mind is turning to soups.  I know there are probably lots of such threads in the archives, but I’d like some new ideas and thought I’d ask the folks hanging out in the forum now

I’ll share a recipe or two in the comments.

Creamy Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Hardware

Dutch oven with lid

Saucepan

Whisk

Software

½ tblsp canola oil

2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

6 cups chicken stock

1 4.5 oz package wild rice, seasoning packet reserved

½ tsp freshly ground black pepper

1 onion, finely diced

½ cup carrot, medium dice

6 tblsp unsalted butter

½ cup flour

2 cups warm milk

Kosher salt

Directions

1.  Season the chicken breasts heavily with salt and pepper on both sides.  In a large dutch oven, heat canola oil over mediumhigh heat until shimmering.  Add chicken breasts and cover the pot.  Once chicken is browned on bottom side, approximately 3-5 minutes, flip them, cover again, and allow to cook until second side is browned.  Remove chicken breasts to plate and allow to rest for 5 minutes.  Once rested, cut chicken into a small dice.

2.  Over medium high heat, deglaze the pot that chicken was cooked in with stock.  Add the rice, bring to a boil, cover, and remove from heat.

3.  In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add carrots and onions and cook until onions are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.  Add the pepper, reserved seasoning packet, and flour.  Whisk together and continue to cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring often.  Whisk milk into mixture slowly.  Once thoroughly combined, add to stock along with diced chicken.

4.  Continue to simmer the soup uncovered over low heat, stirring occasionally to make sure it doesn’t stick, until the rice is tender and soup is thickened to desired consistency.  Season to taste with kosher salt.

N.b. I often skip the first step and use a rotisserie chicken instead. 

• Like 2

Dds been asking for loaded potato soup, so that’ll have to hit the rotation soon. I like butternut squash soup and pumpkin soup but I’m the only person in the house who’ll eat it. When it gets cold I like to make beef stews and beef goulash soup, chicken and dumplings, and clam chowder. I’m a big soup fan. I could go on and on but I’ll spare you. 🤣

• Like 2

Meatball Vegetable Soup

1 package frozen meatballs 

6 cups chicken broth

1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables

1 tbsp. thyme (or more to taste)

1 ½ cups small egg noodles, cooked separately

Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine meatballs, broth, thyme, and vegetables. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Cook noodles and add to pot. Cook an additional 5 minutes before serving.

• Like 1

I’m not much of a recipe follower with soups but I like adding a bit of cumin, coriander and chilli to pumpkin soup.  We often have a really lazy chicken and corn one with pre done stock, creamed corn and shredded chicken.  I also do a leftovers type soup where I fry up celery carrot, onion and whatever non sulfurous Veges then add shredded chicken, risoni or pearl barley, stock and a jar of pasta sauce.  The kids aren’t crazy on it but dh loves it and it’s very filling.

• Like 1

Taco Soup

1 lb hamburger

1 yellow onion, chopped

1-2 cloves of minced garlic

1 can whole kernal corn, drained

1 can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 jar mild picante sauce

1 pack taco seasoning

1 can chicken broth

cilantro, chopped (to taste)

water to consistency you want

1. Saute onions and garlic. Add ground beef, brown and drain. 

2. Add all the other ingredients and simmer for 15-20 minutes. 

• Like 1

I had my kids throw this simple one in the crock pot.  It was yummy 

1 can corn

1 can black beans.

1 can pinto or kidney beans

1 can diced tomatoes

1 can mild green chilies (4oz)

1 packet taco seasoning mix

1/2-1 pound precooked browned ground beef or shredded chicken

Do NOT drain any of the cans, just open and dump and heat.

This could easily be done in the stove too in just a few minutes.  We served with scoop tortilla chips and shredded cheese.

If you like it thinner add 1-2 cups beef or chicken broth and/or 1-2 cups of salsa.

This is super forgiving but one everyone in my family loves.

• Like 1

I have vegetable soup every day for lunch. I make a big pot once a week and freeze it in lunch sized portions. 

ingredients

2 cups dried  mixed beans and chick peas 

4 tablespoons (roundabout) dried lentils 

1 onion

2 leaks

1 clove garlic

large can on tomatoes (home bottled)

2 tablespoons Italian mixed herbs

2 carrots grated

1 turnip

a bunch of Kale leaves

half a celery - leaves included

3 tablespoons tomato paste

some chicken stock if I have any  saved form last time we had roast chicken

some pumpkin if I have some left

some cabbage

parsley 

rock salt

water

• Like 4

10 hours ago, mom31257 said:

Meatball Vegetable Soup

1 package frozen meatballs 

6 cups chicken broth

1 16 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables

1 tbsp. thyme (or more to taste)

1 ½ cups small egg noodles, cooked separately

Salt and Pepper to taste

Combine meatballs, broth, thyme, and vegetables. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium low, cover, and simmer for 25 minutes. Cook noodles and add to pot. Cook an additional 5 minutes before serving.

Why do you think they want you to cook the noodles separately?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seasider too said:

Not the one who posted that recipe, but maybe because it makes a batch large enough to keep for a couple of days, or freeze part of? Noodles cooked separately and added just at serving time hold their shape and flavor better. Just guessing. 

Yes. I often cook noodles separately in pasta based soups. If it sits in the refrigerator for a day the broth is absorbed by the pasta and you end up with a very thick stew-like thing. It's no longer soup.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I like this black bean soup a lot and it's super nutritious--14 gm protein and 18 gm fiber in a bowl. It's vegan too. I'm not, but I was looking for a black bean soup without ham or bacon, and I really like this one.

https://www.emilieeats.com/vegan-slow-cooker-black-bean-soup/?r_done=1

I printed this!  Making this weekend!  I am always looking for a good high fiber meal and this sound easy and delicious!

• Like 2

I'm also not a big recipe follower when it comes to soup, but this white bean chicken chili is good. I got the recipe from my dil, and it's a hit here with my guys. When ds was a teen and had friends over he often requested I make it. I've made it a few times as my meal train contribution and have actually had it requested by a friend who needed a meal train again a year later. It's mild but you can fix that with seasonings or hot salsa if you want it spicy. Also, dil doesn't brown the chicken first but I do. It probably isn't necessary. 

White Bean Chicken Chili - can be made on the stove or in a slow cooker -

1.5 - 2 pounds ground chicken
16 oz. chicken broth - homemade or store bought
1 16 oz. jar mild or medium salsa (I use mild)
48 oz. great northern beans, undrained (3 regular size cans - 14.5 oz. - is actually close enough)
8 oz. pepper jack cheese, shredded - I can never find pre-shredded pepper jack so I shred it myself
2 tsp. ground cumin
salt and pepper to taste, but it really isn't necessary. 

Brown meat in large pot over med-high heat, stirring until it crumbles. This step can be skipped but you still need to break up the meat. 

Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese. Stir in the cheese a little at a time, allowing it to melt in before adding more. Simmer on med-low for about an hour or cook in a crock pot 3 hours on low, 5-6 hours on high. If you browned the chicken first it will take less time, longer if it needs to cook. If cooking in a slow cooker do the cheese addition after it's done and follow the instructions for adding a little at a time.

Recipe can be doubled or tripled and it freezes well. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

You are kind to use the word stew. I think it can look like a potluck mystery gelatin mold. 😂

But that's my favorite... LOL.  I'm not even kidding.  I joke I like to eat bean paste (what bean or lentil based soups turn into) - but you're right that in the case of stews it is more like potluck mystery gelatin mold!  Thin soups don't do it for me!  Thick 'n' hearty!  Always better the second day! 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

I like this black bean soup a lot and it's super nutritious--14 gm protein and 18 gm fiber in a bowl. It's vegan too. I'm not, but I was looking for a black bean soup without ham or bacon, and I really like this one.

I'm making this now! It sounds delicious. Wish I had some avocado to have with it. Next time. 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

I printed this!  Making this weekend!  I am always looking for a good high fiber meal and this sound easy and delicious!

2 hours ago, wintermom said:

I'm making this now! It sounds delicious. Wish I had some avocado to have with it. Next time. 😉

I personally do like to you an immersion blender at the end--just prefer that consistency for myself.

3 hours ago, Matryoshka said:

But that's my favorite... LOL.  I'm not even kidding.  I joke I like to eat bean paste (what bean or lentil based soups turn into) - but you're right that in the case of stews it is more like potluck mystery gelatin mold!  Thin soups don't do it for me!  Thick 'n' hearty!  Always better the second day! 😂

This is my attitude exactly for soups with rice. Soups with noodles, eh, not so much. I don't think the noodles cope as well with prolonged immersion. But ymmv. 😉

One of our favorites is a mulligatawny recipe from my old Joy of Cooking. I know it's not even close to mulligatawny as I first knew it in Britain, let alone any actual Indian food, but it's savory comfort food and we love it. It's basically a chicken soup with curry.

Saute lightly, but do not brown:

1/2 c diced onion (I use a whole big onion)

1 diced carrot

2 diced ribs celery (I often use a bit more)

in 1/4 cup butter

Stir in:

1 1/2 tsp flour

2 tsp curry powder (I increase this a bit)

Stir and simmer three minutes. Pour in and simmer 15 minutes:

4 cups chicken or lamb broth

1 bay leaf

Add and simmer 15 minutes longer:

1/4 c diced tart apples

1/2 c boiled rice (I use more)

1/2 c diced cooked chicken or lamb (I use more)

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/8 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp grated lemon rind (I have substituted a bit of lemon juice)

Immediately before serving, stir in:

1/2 c hot cream or coconut milk (we always use coconut milk, and probably way more than 1/2 c)

I love soups.

I recently bookmarked a ton of lentil soup recipes from Budget Bytes. 

Potato Soup - this is similar to what I do. I use shredded hash browns and dried minced onions instead of fresh. 

Chicken Stew - I make it in the slow cooker and use chicken breasts. This feels very southern to me. 

Lasagna soup - I think this is the recipe I used. 

1 hour ago, Ali in OR said:

I personally do like to you an immersion blender at the end--just prefer that consistency for myself.

The black bean soup was so yummy and really easy to make! My ds and I loved it. I can see corn tasting really good in this as well, maybe even some rice to make it a little more filling. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

That's my own recipe, and I just like to control the firmness of the noodles and conserve the broth. You could cook them together. 

My weird kitchen only has one truly functional burner. I've lived with it for 12 years, but every once in a while I run in to a recipe that is tricky to pull off - like a two pot soup. 😄

• Like 1

I cheat and just use frozen meatballs most of the time because I'm busy and I do it in the Instant Pot. I just make sure I add in the spices that would have gone into the meatballs into the soup. You can toss in other veggies if you like. I would not recommend adding in bell pepper because that can taste bitter in soup.

https://www.jocooks.com/recipes/albondigas-soup/

Edited by calbear

Does anyone have a good recipe for tomato basil soup? The cafe at my workplace makes an amazing one. I didn’t think I liked tomato soup until I had it there. Compared to recipes I see online, it seems much chunkier with what I think is at least onions, celery, and tomatoes. I sometimes get a bay leaf in my serving, so I know that is also an ingredient. Given the flavor, it also seems to be cooked for much longer than any recipe I’ve seen online.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2020 at 9:42 PM, Ali in OR said:

Dss19 made this last week. It was soooo delicious. 

• Like 3

I love this recipe for Cabbage and Farro soup from Smitten Kitchen. Today I found a small jar of it in the freezer from last spring, it was like a little gift! As soon as the weather cools off again I will make it again; the little jar was just enough for lunch for two and left me wanting more.

Tonight we had a very easy potato soup recipe. It is not the most healthful soup around but it is the easiest. Someone emailed it to me at least 20 years ago.  

5 # potatoes, peeled and cubed

16 oz cream cheese

salt and pepper

Place potatoes in a large pot. Fill with water just below the top of the potatoes. Bring to boil till fork tender. Take off stove, do not drain. Mash and add cream cheese, then salt and pepper to taste.

Then you can top it as you like: shredded cheese, bacon. green onions, etc.

We have started adding some cauliflower to the pot to lighten it up a little. I have no idea what the proportions are. I also don't use as much cream cheese. 

I've saved several recipes from this thread to try! Thanks!

Edited by marbel
  • Like 1

On 9/18/2020 at 10:52 AM, Lady Florida. said:

Yes. I often cook noodles separately in pasta based soups. If it sits in the refrigerator for a day the broth is absorbed by the pasta and you end up with a very thick stew-like thing. It's no longer soup.

On 9/18/2020 at 10:54 AM, Seasider too said:

You are kind to use the word stew. I think it can look like a potluck mystery gelatin mold. 😂

If you use egg noodles, you won't end up with decomposed gloop.

• Like 2

Golden Winter Soup is our family's favorite for many years. 

It is half butternut squash and half potato leek soup. We also don't normally put the half and half in the soup, and it's still nice and creamy. We've also never made the toast things that are part of the recipe, but I'm sure it would be good. 

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/golden-winter-soup

23 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

I wanted to resurrect this thread to add this slow cooker beef and barley soup to the list.  I made it today and it is delicious! I’d consider it more stew-like than soup-like, but it’s a keeper! 

Thank you. I love beef barley soup. There's something very comforting about it to me even though it's not a soup I had often as a kid.

• Like 1

We like this Cabbage Roll Soup.

Brown 1 lb ground beef (or pork). Add 1 large diced onion and 1 chopped small head of cabbage. Cover and cook, stirring occassionally, about 10 minutes. 

Add a 46 oz can tomato juice, 4 cups beef broth, 3/4 cup rice, 1-2 tbsp worcestershire, 8 cloves garlic, 1 tsp thyme, 1 tbsp paprika, salt & pepper to taste.

Simmer 30 minutes, or until rice is done.

Our other favorite is French Onion soup. I wish my hubby was on board with having soup more often. I just enjoy soup a lot more than he does.

• Like 1