Menu

Induction Range with Large Family?

Paige

I really want an induction range when we redo our kitchen. We have gas now, and I know I'm in the minority but I hate it. Also, we have to move the location which would entail moving the gas line and that would be expensive. It's much easier just to cap it and get electric.

I've been looking at ranges and almost selected one when I realized that most advise you to use 10in pans. Is that really the max you can go if that's the size of the burners? We have 7 people and use large pans often. It might be a deal breaker if I can't use my 12, 14, or 16 in pans. 

I have found that the pot should be between -3 inches and +1 of the burner size for best performance.  If the pot is too small, the burner won't heat.  If the pot is too large, cooking is slow because the part of the pot in contact with the burner heats first and then heats the remainder of the pot.

My cooktop has 1-7" burner, 2-8" burners, and 1-12" burner.   If you routinely use your 16" pan, perhaps an industrial model would better suit your needs.

• Like 2

I'm on my 2nd induction range (standard size), currently I have the kitchen aid double oven version (I had an electrolux before that).  I can a lot.  I know my canner is more than 10 inches, so is my 4 gallon stock pot (that is often being used simultaneously with the canner), my 3 gallon stock pot, and my cast iron and at least one of my frying pans.  No problems using any of them.  Induction is wonderful.  After owning the first one for about 2 days, I told my husband I would never own anything else again.  

• Like 1

We stayed at a BnB that had a countertop model induction range that was sized for big pots, something like this, but bigger (the kitchen was shared by lots of large families - this was in Israel). There are a lot of countertop induction stove tops that run less than $100. It might be worth it to buy one of those and try it out before shelling out the $$$ for an actual built in.

Emily

For those who have used induction, have you found the technology reliable and durable?

I really want to make this switch, but I keep seeing reviews indicating that cooktops have to be replaced after just a few years. That seems hard for me to justify, even though cooking with induction sounds so nice.

Edited by Innisfree
Autocorrect error

46 minutes ago, Innisfree said:

For those who have used induction, have you found the technology reliable and durable?

I really want to make this switch, but I keep seeing reviews indicating that cooktops have to be replaced after just a few years. That seems hard for me to justify, even though cooking with induction sounds so nice.

My first one died after 6 years.  Basically the self clean on the oven fried the control panel.  Apparently this is not that uncommon (not just induction but anything with electronic controls and the high heat from the self clean) but I hadn't heard about it so didn't know better.  Current one is 4 years old.  I've never used the self clean but honestly with the enamel interior, I find it's not that hard to keep clean (on the rare occasions it bothers me enough to want to clean it). So far so good.  But even if it dies at 6 years like the last one I still would turn around and buy another one.  The speed, the absolute ease of clean, the fast response to burner adjustments, etc make cooking soooo nice, I just can't go back no matter the cost.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, parent said:

I have the KA slide in induction range with oven drawer on bottom.  My one gripe is that my canner won't work on it.  I do quite a bit of canning. For water bath jams and pickles, Ive been just using my large pasta pot on induction but cannot do large batches.  I have a 2nd kitchen in MIL apt with standard electric range, but it takes forever to heat up canner.  I was just telling my husband that I would consider switching to gas just for canning... however, I know I would hate cleaning a gas range.

Anyway, what canner do you use??  Or do you use one of the induction plates underneath?  I don't have any of those.  

The canner seems like it would be too heavy on the glass top, too.  I hurt my shoulder lifting the canner full of water last week:(  No problem with weight on range though?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001XW61B6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have (went and found it in my amazon order history). I bought it in 2011.  I have no idea if this is still made or not because I've had no need to look since. 

Since this one is stainless steel, I just use it like any other pots, no need for special plates.  When I bought my first range, the salesman wasn't sure about the weight of the canner and suggested I call the company.  Electrolux kept telling me they couldn't say whether or not the canner would be too heavy (I'm sure it was a CYA thing) although they were quite certain my 4 gallon pot (the canner is 5 gallons) that I use for soup would be just fine.  I figured there really wasn't much difference and forged ahead.  I've never had issues from it.  I do try not to slide it around.  I'm currently dealing with a frozen shoulder so I just fill the pot half full with water and put it on the stove and then fill it the rest of the way from a pitcher.  I don't often do more than 3 bathes in a day anymore (just cause I get too tired) and that's usually when I would switch out the bath water.  So I just leave it sit on the stove overnight to cool and scoop it out in the morning till I get it empty enough that I can move it. But no, neither range has ever had issues from the weight that I can tell.  (And I often have the 4 gallon pot cooking something down on the stove in additional so between the 2 that's quite a bit of weight).

And as an FYI, it takes my stove 18 minutes to bring my canning pot of water to a boil.  I no longer have to start boiling my water eons in advance of putting things in the jars.  

However, if you do pressure canner, then you might have issues.  Most pressure canner are made of aluminum so won't work on induction. Back in 2011, the largest I could find that would work on induction was a 4 quart model.  I really don't do much that uses a pressure canner so I haven't looked to see if anyone has made anything larger since then.

1 minute ago, parent said:

That looks like my canner.  But mine is not magnetic.

It looks pretty much like my old aluminum too.  I don't think there are too many "styles" to canners.  But you need to look for one made out of stainless steel and go from there.  Induction is becoming more popular that many pots are labeled if they are induction compatible.  If not you can usually ask questions online or call the company to find out.

Just now, parent said:

Hmm, I think mine is SS, but not all SS is magnetic either.  I looked for an induction canner when I first got the range but didn't find one and gave up.

I just went an poked around because I was curious.  I know I've seen the ball one in stores since I bought one but they seem out of stock everywhere.  Just not sure if it's because they are no longer made or because everything that is canning related is in high demand right now.

This one doesn't come with the rack but indicates that it works for canning.  You'd have to verify that the measurements are compatible with a rack.  Or you could can any large stock put and just throw rings on the bottom to keep the jars off the bottom (but personally I really like using the rack, so I'd try to find one that could hold the rack).

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Cook-N-Home-20-qt-Stainless-Steel-Stock-Pot-with-Glass-Lid-NC-00335/304375718?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US#product-overview

Just now, parent said:

Yes, I like my rack.  When I use the pasta pot, I put a dishcloth in bottom... whole expwrience is so much more hassle.  It works to do about 5 pts at a time but thats it.

We are having a serious pectin shortage here.  Every store in town was out.  I had so much in my pantry, I can't believe I ran out, and then the stores were all sold out.  Buying a large quantity when I find it again.

I had read something in June about coming shortages so I made sure to secure my supplies as soon as as found them.  I don't make jam anymore because we don't use enough but I've heard from so many how frustrating it is to find things this year.

I hadn't thought about a pressure canner in years but this inspired me to take a look and yes they do have one now.

https://www.gopresto.com/product/23-quart-induction-compatible-pressure-canner-with-stainless-steel-clad-base-01784

I'll have to read up to see how good it is.  I might be in the market for a pressure canner next year once I check out the reviews.