Menu

How many times have you moved in your life?

mommyoffive

I have lived in 8 places/cities, 7 states, and 9 houses/apartments, not counting boarding school, before I was 18. 
13 moves from infancy to age 54, not counting moving from dorm to apt to rental house in my college years. Some moves were to another house in the same city. 

I moved a lot as a kid and I am very thankful that my kids have a hometown and can answer the question, "Where are you from?"  I never could. My stock answer is, "It's complicatated."

Edited by ScoutTN
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ScoutTN said:

I have lived in 8 places/cities, 7 states, and 9 houses/apartments, not counting boarding school, before I was 18. 
13 moves from infancy to age 54, not counting moving from dorm to apt to rental house in my college years. Some moves were to another house in the same city. 

I moved a lot as a kid and I am very thankful that my kids have a hometown and can answer the question, "Where are you from?"  I never could. My stock answer is, "It's complicatated."

That where are you from question can be so very complicated--and people who ask it are usually just making small talk and don't want complicated.

I sometimes say "I moved here from (last state I lived in before this one)" and that is usually enough.

• Like 2

3 places before I turned 5.

Same apartment from 5 to 18

College dorm for 3 semesters then parents house for about a year

First house with ex about 3 years

Second house with ex about 7 years

Parents house after divorce for 6 months

Rented small house for 6 months

Shared a house for 6 months

Rented apartment for 6 months

Moved in with dh 16 years ago

Don't expect to ever move again

ETA:  Most in the same county in NJ, except 1 was about 1 mile into a different county and college dorm was in Texas. 

Edited by Where's Toto?
  • Like 1

30+ moves. Not counting temporary transitional places, like long-stay hotels or friends' couches.

A third of those moves were due to my father's army career. I first moved across the country at 6 weeks, and moved about every other year up to age 17, when I graduated high school.

Another third of my moves were during my late teens through mid 20's, moving at least once per year while working and attending 3 different colleges before graduating.

The last third was during my marriage, mostly in the early years, and all of those moves were in the same metro region, where XH has a large extended family.

XH moved out a couple of years ago.  I am still in the home where we have been raising our child, who is now 16. I hope to leave this area as soon as my kid is ready to move out. Not sure where I want to go next. Hopefully I find my happy place without another 10 moves.

1 hour ago, ScoutTN said:

What's fun is when people try to guess WHY you moved so much.

When I lived in Guam with several military bases, I was asked if my father was in the military.

When I attended a Southern Baptist university, I was asked if my parents were missionaries.

No one ever guessed the truth.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

I've lived in 9 states - one was just for a summer job, but the rest were longer.  Within those, a couple involved apartments while house hunting, followed by a move to a house.  My college years involved moving into a dorm in the fall, moving out in the summer and moving my stuff into summer housing (an out of town apartment for a job, a different dorm to work as a counselor at a camp, etc).  I lived in 3 different apartments during 5 1/2 years of grad school (2 shared with roommates, one a tiny 1-br place).  When we had a lightning-strike induced house fire, we moved in an out of my parents' guest rooms a couple of times as work was done on the house (including floor refinishing once the hole in the living room floor that the fire dept cut was patched), so although pretty much everything we own was moved about within the house, we didn't actually go anywhere for more than a few weeks at a time.  🙂  

Edited by ClemsonDana
  • Like 1

At least 28 times, 7 states

The longest I have lived in one house was 15 years, between the ages of 2 and 17.  The longest I have lived in any home as an adult is 9 years. I once moved 5 times within 12 months, from one apartment to another in the same building to an apartment in a different city to my parents' home to another apartment.

I expect I'll move a few more times, but am not in any hurry to do so.

16 moves, 3 states, 11 cities

4 years old moved to house my dad still lives in; moved to college; moved to my sister's for a summer; moved in with other sister for 1.5 years of college, moved back on campus; moved home; moved to my grandparents' basement; married and moved in with dh; moved to a bigger place in same town; moved to other side of the state; moved for a different city with my job; moved back to previous area and bought our first home; moved to my parents' house for a short two month stay; moved into an apartment an hour from my parents; moved to second home purchased; moved to third home purchased and where we live now

More than 20 times. I lost count. My dad's jobs always came with homes and, with dh, I have moved at least 10 times. We're not done yet either. We know we're not staying in this house. We are just kind of waiting to see where our dc end up and then hopefully that will be the final move. 

So if my mom was in college when I was born and went back to our home state every summer and then to new family housing each year does that count as 3 moves or 6? Actually, there was 2 more times when my moves were for less than 4 months. Is that moving or just not having a home? 

Not counting any of those times 14.

So 17 or 21. 

My parents moved when I was 9 months old. I lived on the same street until I was 19. (We moved to another house on the same street when I  was around 8 years old because the house went up for sale and it was larger.) When I got married we moved to an apartment, then we moved to Dallas and lived in another apartment. Then dh went back to school so we lived on campus for a year, then we moved to another apartment. After that we moved to our current house and we have lived here for 26 years. So I have moved seven times. Five of those moves happened within six years. 

Susan in TX

Very few, especially given what is typical. I was born in Maryland and have lived in Maryland my whole life and I married someone who was born next to Maryland and lived in Maryland his whole life. 🙂 

I moved from my childhood home when I was 20, into a townhouse with dh’s sister. Then we got married and built a house with the same zipcode as the apartment. Then we built a new house after 8 years, one county over. And there, we remain. 🙂 

I'm going to have to count out loud so I can figure it out. The short answer is: A lot.

As a kid - I lived in 7 different houses so that's 6 moves. I don't remember the first move since I was under 2 years old, so the second place we lived is the first place I remember. Our 5th move was from NJ to Florida and the 6th move was to the city where I ended up living for most of my life. 

Do we count various moves during college/university years? I lived in 4 different places then - dorm, sorority house, then 2 different apartments.

As an adult - 5 when I lived in GA where I got my first teaching job after college. 

Moved back home in with my mother. Then - 4 different places, the 4th is where I was living (a townhouse I bought) when I met dh. 

Moved to dh's house. We moved twice since then, the latest in May to our new place. We moved here to get closer to the grandkids and other family, plus friends. It's actually not far from our previous home but in our very long county (72 miles long, 17-ish miles wide) 40 miles makes a huge difference. I'm hoping this is my last move and that this will be our retirement home/location. 

So - If I counted right I've lived in 23 places, moved 22 times. 

Edited by Lady Florida.

Not counting the times I have moved back and forth between the same two houses because I have done that since childhood......I used to attend 2 different schools each year.  They were the same schools, 1400 miles apart.

Childhood........3 diffent houses excluding some temporary places.

College.......skipping

before marriage........3 apartments/condos

after marriage.........9 moves in two countries

Oregon place A--( Forgot about this one and don't want to renumber)

Oregon place 1

Oregon place 2

Oregon place 1

Colorado

Wyoming

Oklahoma

Texas

Nevada

Oregon place 3

Oregon place 2

Oregon place 4

Oregon place 5

Oregon place 1

Oregon place 5

Oregon place 6

Washington 

5th-9th grade I lived in 6 states in 6 years.

I went to high schools in 4 cities (3 states) my 9th grade year.

My husband and I moved 6 times in 6 years as well but have only lived in 2 houses in the past 26 years. LOL 

I have lived in my current house 20 years. The majority of my moving was from the age of 10-22