Menu

Resources for basic Geometry and Algebra, to supplement dd14's brick-and-mortar HS math

Dd14 just started high school, in an alternative school we're all excited about. It's based on a mastery model with no grading, very similar to how we homeschooled our girls, and the math/physics teacher's focus on problem solving and quantitative reasoning are exactly where I'd like her to be spending most of her time. My older daughter had this teacher at his previous school and came away super excited about QR, something that hadn't quite happened in our homeschool. So I trust his teaching in most ways. 

But this is the inaugural year for the new school, and I'm not convinced quantitative reasoning is enough to keep dd14's math muscles in shape. That's really the best way I can describe it--QR seems like the actual sport, but short sessions in the weight room a few times a week build the strength to bring it all together and move an athlete to the next level. Most classes are interdisciplinary, so she'll engage with mathematical concepts and problem solving on a regular basis. But as with foreign language learning, I don't think there's any substitute for brief, regular, incremental practice, tailored to the individual student. 

For middle school we used Math Minutes to review basic mathematical operations, and Math Mammoth as the main curriculum. I suppose I'm looking for the high school equivalent of Math Minutes (I'm seriously afraid she'll forget her multiplication tables if she's not using them) combined with introduction of basic Geometry and Algebra 2 (She took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, so that could be reinforced). She's an artsy, literary kid, so I think between that and the QR and stats she'll be getting at her school, she'll have what she needs. 

I should also say she's a quick study, but doesn't love spending time on math. So I don't want anything with lots of manipulatives or very time consuming to go through. Quick and fairly basic, but solid. Again, she'll be getting plenty of complex problem solving and mathematical applications in school. And although I'm not a fan of standardized testing, I don't want our interest in alternative education to shut down college options for her. Unless the College Board withers and dies from the pandemic, I think her ACT or SAT scores will matter for her college admissions, since she won't have grades on her transcript.

Any ideas for resources? Perhaps a quick review like Math Minutes for the school year, and a basic curriculum she works through over the summer? It doesn't matter to me if it's an integrated curriculum or separate Geo and Alg. 

It's funny to be asking for the opposite of what I was looking for in a homeschool curriculum, in a sense, since I really think her teacher does a great job getting teens excited about higher level quantitative reasoning.

As a supplement, maybe Khan Academy or Thinkwell? At least for Algebra 1 review, you could look at the review course? https://www.thinkwellhomeschool.com/collections/essential-review-courses/products/algebra-1-essentials

There also might be some ideas in this thread:

I know they gave some suggestions beyond just algebra (the NY Regents one, for example).

• Thanks 1