Menu

How/where do you dry clothes that need to dry flat?

Kidlit

Do you use some sort of rack?  I’m really looking for something that can easily be put away when not in use. This has been a quandary for me for a long time because apparently clothes that need to be dried this way are my favorite. 🤣. I often have several pieces to dry at a time, so something that has several layers/levels would be ideal.  Whatcha got?  Links and/or pictures appreciated!

I just bought my daughter a folding drying rack that attaches to the back of the door. It was purchased at TJ Maxx, but I am sure you can find one... the cashier checking me out said she was going to buy one on her break. 

I have a drying rack set up in my laundry room. At my older house, I set one in the hallway. 

• Like 3

I rarely dry ours truly flat and if something has to drip dry flat, that's not going to happen either. I have a giant drying rack from IKEA, that thing holds a lot of stuff. Easily folds flat but I leave ours open b/c my teens put their own laundry on it as well. IKEA does have some other flat drying racks as well, but I haven't tried those. I bought 2 of the ones I linked, one for laundry and one for swimsuits/towels on the patio after a trip to the neighborhood pool.

• Like 1

Unless they are pretty heavy I just hang them up, separated from each other, on wide hangers in doorways.  If heavy I usually roll up in a towel right out of the washer to absorb a lot of the water, and then put them on another bath towel, folded in half, on the floor of the shower room.  That assumes that showers are mostly done before the laundry.

I don’t have room for a drying rack.

One trick I heard was to use one of those plastic expandable baby gates and straddle the bath tub with it, and then dry on that, maybe with a towel under the garment and maybe not.  I have had mixed success with that.  It only holds one thing at a time, and by nature mostly there are a bunch that come out of the washer at once.  

• Like 1

Thanks, everyone!

I was fishing for ideas in hopes that some brilliant new device had been invented that would miraculously give me extra flat space to dry several large items WITHOUT being an eyesore or requiring me to do a lot of put-up-and-take-down.  It looks like I have yet another something to put on the IKEA list. 

Unless it's really delicate (silk jersey, angora, cashmere) I ignore the instructions and hang to dry.  For delicate things I wash them in the evenings and lay out on furniture in the rarely used family room overnight, and pick it up in the morning before the kids are awake.

Ana White has a pretty cool laundry room with built in hidden drying racks for things that need to lay flat.  I always imagined building a room like that if I ever built a house.

• Like 1