Menu

I need some clean air. You?

Spy Car

6 minutes ago, Spy Car said:

Feel like I'm being poisoned. I want to escape. But there nowhere to go.

A shout out to those who are in the same boat or worse.

Bill

You're not going to believe this but Boston's skies today were discolored from the wildfires in the West Coast. It looked like a snow sky but it's 70F.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

You're not going to believe this but Boston's skies today were discolored from the wildfires in the West Coast. It looked like a snow sky but it's 70F.

I'm afraid that I can believe it.

I understand LA is less awful that some other places--and I'm grateful our home isn't threatened by fires, as the destruction of homes and loss of life is gut wrenching--but after days and day of this I'm feeling so sick. Always been super-sensitive to wood smoke. So sick from breathing the toxic air.

Bill

• Sad 8

1 minute ago, Starr said:

How's your dog? I worry about my mom's 15 years old standard poodle. But as with many folks in their upper 80s she just tells me everything is fine. 

He's had some moments where he's gagged and then started breathing very strangely--like huffing. Scared the heck out of me. but mostly seems OK. Sleeping a lot.

My wife and son are not feeling nearly as I'll as I am.

Bill

• Sad 2

We got into "very unhealthy" today for a while but are now back in "hazardous" tonight.  We aren't quite as bad as other places, but still have to stay inside.  Our dog is getting terribly restless. He is used to being outside much of the day, and right now can only be out for a few minutes for potty breaks. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

I live outside Portland Oregon. It is horrible here!  We haven't had fresh air in a week. It isn't just the timber that is burning..... it is the burnt out houses, belongings and equipment that are releasing carcinogens into the air. It is heartbreaking. So many people are suffering mentally from the devastation and we are all suffering physically from the smoke. 

• Like 3
  • Sad 13

The local hospital here is slammed, as the air quality is exacerbating pre-existing conditions for many. Workers are wearing respirators even inside. I’ve been almost exclusively inside for over a week. I’ve had a few headaches, but nothing else so far. Here’s hoping for clear skies soon. I feel especially bad for those who have to continue to work outside.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

4 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

I think it finally got to me today...a "heaviness" in breathing.  And it is just the ICING on the COVID shutdown cake.  Haven't left my house (well, I have for church) since Friday.  UGH UGH UGH.  Here's normal/now.  FD546463-49D1-4441-B3D4-A40023F2A948.thumb.jpeg.1499797d7cb80fd461de102176ddc844.jpeg

It looks almost as bad in Nebraska.  The local news here expects air quality to get bad.  And no, there are no fires here.  ( We are on the last week of our three week vacation)

• Sad 1

There were several times this week when I was driving over a bridge and couldn't see the water below me. 

Between the fog and smoke early Sunday, I had maybe 12 feet of visibility. I am not exaggerating. I couldn't see a car parked on the street until I drove past it!  I had to drive a mile, 10mph, with my fog lights and flashers on, to get out of the dense pocket of nastiness. Several coworkers had to go to work a few hours late, because the visibility was so bad.  (we are used to icky weather in the PNW so we aren't being overly cautious)  There was so much dense smoke, we had fog for a couple of days that never cleared. It was all just trapped like acidic sewage in the air. 

Edited by Tap
  • Sad 5

We were excited to get down to "unhealthy" for a short time today. Back up to "very unhealthy" but at least we're out of "hazardous" for now. I've never so looked forward to the rainy season. We keep getting a rainy day forecast 3 days out, but it's always 3 days out--never actually comes (was supposed to be Monday, then Tuesday, now Friday). Unfortunately, could come with more lightning. We had our Zoom book club tonight--everyone is down. And everyone is Zoomed out. We were supposed to be in a member's backyard.☹️

Edited by Ali in OR
  • Sad 5

1 minute ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

It’s finally sprinkling a bit tonight. I wish that it would pour on all the fires and put them out. 

I hope someone is getting some rain. I had about 50 big fat drops hit my car about 5pm. Then it stopped 😞

Its been raining ash for a couple of weeks here. Suffice it to say that we are sitting inside and go to pick up our mail every few days ...

Strangest sight in my garden: all the plants have gray leaves and gray deposits fall off when I shake them. I stopped picking the lettuce, spinach and kale because I am grossed out.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Sad 8

You know what really makes me mad...

The stories on the local news keep telling us that we have the third worst air quality in the world right now.  Then they bring us interviews with experts who tell us that our cloth and surgical masks aren't effective in filtering out the fine wood particles in the smoke that are damaging to our lungs.   They tell us only N95 masks will protect us from those particles...but here comes the guilt trip...then they preach to us that these N95's should only be for the health care workers.

Well, I've got news for them...I'm using N95's and KN95's with NO GUILT whatsoever.  My son had a doctor appointment today and that's what I gave him to wear to the medical center.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Tap said:

I hope someone is getting some rain. I had about 50 big fat drops hit my car about 5pm. Then it stopped 😞

I know some people in the Gulf area and I've been following their weather.  I so wish that some of that rain could be put to use out west.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Laurie said:

The stories on the local news keep telling us that we have the third worst air quality in the world right now.  Then they bring us interviews with experts who tell us that our cloth and surgical masks aren't effective in filtering out the fine wood particles in the smoke that are damaging to our lungs.   They tell us only N95 masks will protect us from those particles...but here comes the guilt trip...then they preach to us that these N95's should only be for the health care workers.

Well, I've got news for them...I'm using N95's and KN95's with NO GUILT whatsoever.  My son had a doctor appointment today and that's what I gave him to wear to the medical center.  

I heard on the radio today that many places are distributing them for workers to wear, even indoors. And different government and non profit organizations are working together to get them to farm workers. I’ve had just one since the beginning of the pandemic, and wore it today, even in the car, when I had to go out for a mandatory quick trip. I guess I’m assuming at this point that if they are available for sale to the general public, then there must be enough for healthcare workers. But I haven’t actually looked to buy any.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

He's had some moments where he's gagged and then started breathing very strangely--like huffing. Scared the heck out of me. but mostly seems OK. Sleeping a lot.

My wife and son are not feeling nearly as I'll as I am.

Bill

Boil water, pour over herbs into a bowl. Through towel over your head in breathe in the steam.

Hang on! Yesterday, I saw two stars at 9pm. Haven't seen a think for weeks prior due to the thick smoke layer.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Strangest sight in my garden: all the plants have gray leaves and gray deposits fall off when I shake them. I stopped picking the lettuce, spinach and kale because I am grossed out.

So sorry you are getting ashes on your plants. My plants are in my patio and so far they are looking ok. The palm tree near my patio looks normal too. I was at Livermore and Concord last weekend and the skies look better there too.

Edited by Arcadia
Deleted photo
  • Like 1

I am close to the Bobcat Fire  outside of los Angeles. Close enought to see the ring of fire, but too far away to have any threat of danger.  Our yard, streets, plants  and cars  get covered with soot each night. Iam very surprised by the size of the particles. Some are like coarse Kosher salt.   I've been keeping the 10th grader off the golf course because of  the pollution. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Arcadia said:

So sorry you are getting ashes on your plants. My plants are in my patio and so far they are looking ok. The palm tree near my patio looks normal too. I was at Livermore and Concord last weekend and the skies look better there too.

D690DF9B-7825-4BE7-B589-BD6512FB8909.jpeg

@mathnerd

Our particulates and carbon monoxide were in hazardous in upper 400s but now are hazardous in 300s and there is an improvement in ash and smell even though still bad.  We also have ash layer on plants —and most surfaces, but it’s especially visible on plants since they should look green.  

And what’s visible on leaves is also in the air getting into eyes and lungs. 

BCDB1499-FA15-42A5-947B-ACC0F15224FD.jpeg

• Sad 9

10 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

We were excited to get down to "unhealthy" for a short time today. Back up to "very unhealthy" but at least we're out of "hazardous" for now. I've never so looked forward to the rainy season. We keep getting a rainy day forecast 3 days out, but it's always 3 days out--never actually comes

Ours still in hazardous but less high numbers.  Yeah that rain prediction that keeps being 3 days away ...   I think it’s like in winter when it rains and rains and they keep predicting a sun break for 3 days away. 

But we badly need rain and no lightning.  My report is showing lightning possible tomorrow. 

I am hugely grateful that the closest fires to me are completely out. And the next couple neatest are “contained.” But some farther ones are still growing.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Spy Car said:

I'm afraid that I can believe it.

I understand LA is less awful that some other places--and I'm grateful our home isn't threatened by fires, as the destruction of homes and loss of life is gut wrenching--but after days and day of this I'm feeling so sick. Always been super-sensitive to wood smoke. So sick from breathing the toxic air.

Bill

I've become super sensitive to wood smoke but haven't always been. Have you tried Mucinex? It seems to help me a bit. I am so sorry. 

We have a haze here in Ohio; it looks like normal haze that accompanies humidity, but it's drier, cooler, and should be clear here. I can't imagine what it must be like trying to breath out there. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sarah0000 said:

I'm in the CA valley and haven't been outside. The smoke still seeps into the house no matter what we do. Its exacerbating my CROHN'S disease and I had to increase steroids at a time when I'm recovering from colon surgery and a huge flareup. Ugh.

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with the smoke while you're recovering!   

Do you have any fans with air filters?    Our news reports have suggested using a furnace filter attached to a box fan...but of course our friendly local reporters then go to interviews with hardware store employees to let us know that these are all sold out.    I'm using a thing that my mom made to prevent drafts under the door.  It looks like a long snake filled with sand or something.   Maybe try rolling up some towels to put under doors to keep drafts/smoke out?  

I really hope you can get some relief soon!

Edited by Laurie
  • Sad 1

Ug. So much damage to your beautiful land, and so sorry you all are struggling just to breathe. Our DS#2 and the hotshot crew that he is in filling in on got shipped to the CA North Complex fire, and they are sucking in a lot of smoke and ash right now. 😩

We are a state away, and have had overcast skies for a week now -- due to all the smoke and ash blowing over. We can even smell the smoke from time to time. Very alien and apocalyptic looking sunrises here -- smoke and ash make for a gray sky and a watery red sun, where we normally have clear and cloudless blue skies and blindingly bright sun in the morning.

Smoky sunrise 1.jpg

smoky sunrise 2.jpg

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Sarah0000 said:

I'm in the CA valley and haven't been outside. The smoke still seeps into the house no matter what we do. 

37 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Do you have any fans with air filters?    Our news reports have suggested using a furnace filter attached to a box fan...but of course our friendly local reporters then go to interviews with hardware store employees to let us know that these are all sold out.    I'm using a thing that my mom made to prevent drafts under the door.  It looks like a long snake filled with sand or something.   

Draft stoppers (e.g.  https://www.amazon.com/DOOR DRAFT STOPPER-DOOR DRAFT GUARD-DOOR DRAFT BLOCKER-UNDERDOOR DRAFT STOPPER-DOOR WIND STOPPER/dp/B07TC15DKK) and running the exhaust fans might help alleviate the smoke indoors.

2 hours ago, Laurie said:

I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with the smoke while you're recovering!   

Do you have any fans with air filters?    Our news reports have suggested using a furnace filter attached to a box fan...but of course our friendly local reporters then go to interviews with hardware store employees to let us know that these are all sold out.    I'm using a thing that my mom made to prevent drafts under the door.  It looks like a long snake filled with sand or something.   Maybe try rolling up some towels to put under doors to keep drafts/smoke out?  

I really hope you can get some relief soon!

Yes we do have filters circulating the whole house. It helps some. Towels might help on a couple of our windows.

• Like 1

Hope the air quality gets much better, and rain comes your way soon to all of you. 

@mathnerdThere was some dust on my lemon tree, strawberry plant and pothos but air quality is much better today.

@Spy Carmaybe a drive to SLO or Solvang during the coming weekend might help. 

@Lori D. there is a mix of good and not so good news on the North Complex Fire in news link. I quoted the better news portion  https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article245775110.html

“Orders for the Butte County community of Cherokee were reduced from mandatory to an evacuation warning on Tuesday. The city of Oroville and the towns of Palermo and Honcut had their warnings lifted over the weekend, sheriff’s officials said.

Over the weekend, National Weather Service forecasters predicted gusty wind conditions for the northeast corner of the state, including the area of the North Complex, and issued a red flag warning for this Monday due to critical fire weather. However, Cal Fire says those heavy winds didn’t end up materializing in the immediate fire zone, averting the possibility of another major flare-up.”

C81D6FAD-7034-45EC-A591-027B0DFF773A.jpeg

706357B7-ECD4-4052-9BB2-ECAACAADFEB5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

... there is a mix of good and not so good news on the North Complex Fire in news link... heavy winds didn’t end up materializing in the immediate fire zone, averting the possibility of another major flare-up.”

Thank you! So relieved about North Complex not flaring up.

DS#2 has sent a few very brief texts over the past week. They are working 12-15 hour days, and his hotshot crew is working on putting in 20 miles of line to help contain the fire. So he's not right up against the scary intensity of the flames, but is probably still in the midst of a lot of smoke and ash, as they are not more than a dozen miles away from the edge of the fire. He sent a phone photo of tree silhouettes mostly shrouded in smoke -- which is where they were working yesterday. 😢

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

In Oregon several counties are handing out N95s to ag workers. 

I wore my N95 when I had to step out to go to a dr appointment and get meds before we left. I tapped ash out of it into the kitchen sink when I returned. It was all on the outside and hadn’t pulled into the inside of the mask.

Ds (who remained behind with dh) showed me his dirty HEPA filter today on our video call. It turned really yucky after just a few days. Filters are gone out of the local stores and are disappearing online. So many things are compounded by this happening during a pandemic. 😞

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Laurie said:

that is why U had n95s and didn't give up the two I had and I bought more kn95 and will be buying more.  I was wearing the kn95 today in Omaha outside today.   The bad air was from the western wildfires.

3 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

In Oregon several counties are handing out N95s to ag workers. 

I wore my N95 when I had to step out to go to a dr appointment and get meds before we left. I tapped ash out of it into the kitchen sink when I returned. It was all on the outside and hadn’t pulled into the inside of the mask.

Ds (who remained behind with dh) showed me his dirty HEPA filter today on our video call. It turned really yucky after just a few days. Filters are gone out of the local stores and are disappearing online. So many things are compounded by this happening during a pandemic. 😞

Can those of us on the East Coast (or other as unaffected areas - second day our skies were smokey) help you or others by sending filters to you from our locations?

Yael

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Can those of us on the East Coast (or other as unaffected areas - second day our skies were smokey) help you or others by sending filters to you from our locations?

Yael

I can get KN95 at Asian supermarkets and I have a few N95 for emergencies. Central Valley, California is probably the worst affected region for NorCal. Thanks for offering. 

• Like 1