Menu

Have you ever Googled your kids?

I just did, I never had before.

ElastiGirl has lots of "regular" stuff- our blog comes up, some results from gymnastics meets, a blurb on USAG, a church bulletin from years ago. And one weird one- its a Russian website with her name. Its all in Cyrillic, so I have no idea what it is really, except that it has to do with rhythmic gymnastics judging by the pictures. I will have to ask a mom at gymnastics to read it for me. Strange though!

PiedPiper has what I expected, no wierdness- swim meet results, old church bulletin like her sister, our family blog, violin recitals.

Go Google your kids! I want to know what other people find.

ElastiGirl has lots of "regular" stuff- our blog comes up, some results from gymnastics meets, a blurb on USAG, a church bulletin from years ago. And one weird one- its a Russian website with her name. Its all in Cyrillic, so I have no idea what it is really, except that it has to do with rhythmic gymnastics judging by the pictures. I will have to ask a mom at gymnastics to read it for me. Strange though!

PiedPiper has what I expected, no wierdness- swim meet results, old church bulletin like her sister, our family blog, violin recitals.

I did not find anything on any of my kids.:confused: :)

I googled my daughter a long time ago and quite despised the results. Evidentally a character in a book has the exact same name and the first sentence in the entire book states that something bad will happen to her.

ick.

I haven't googled her since but I would expect the same stuff . . . chess results, a newspaper article, et c.

Both of my kids have done some performing, so there are links to cast lists and so on. There is also an article about my daughter when she started college last year and one about my son when he was in the new opera.

My daughter happens to share a name with a woman who was the topic of conversation in Canada for a while. So, it's often tough to sort through and find the things that are actually about my kiddo.

My older son is mentioned in an article by the director of our county library system for a specific achievement and for his years of volunteer work, and there is a school bulletin congratulating him and his team mates for a great showing at a math competition.

you could use google to find a free online translation site and copy/paste/translate that information. It's not 100% accurate, but you'll get the gyst.

The oldest apparently competed in chute dogging in a Missouri 4-H rodeo and also won in the Missouri lottery. The second mention (only one of three with first and last name together) is actually a mention of him in one of last year's school newsletters.

My 16yodd is a male fire dancer (about her age) in Arizona. She is also an Acme Construction supply regional vice president and a champion swimmer. I think all are male. Then, at the bottom of the first page of search results is a news article which mentions her horseback riding accident two years ago. That one is really her. The next page has more results for other people with her name. I knew her first name was fairly popular. There are four girls in her small high school with the same first and middle name. I didn't know our last name was so common.

14yods made the dean's honor roll somewhere in 2003 and has made some short films for YouTube. My middle two kids race hot rods together (NOT). Josh attends several schools in various grade levels. The first page of results contain two entries that are actually him. One is an honor roll listing and the other has something to do with a wrestling tournament.

The youngest, well, dagnabit! The very first result is her myYearbook page, though it's set to private so you can only see her name and a photo. I thought I told her not to use her real full name though. It looks like she attended College View Academy in Lincoln, NE before I was born. The first page of results has six which are really her: the myYearbook page, four pages of gymnastics meet results, and an honor roll mention from last nine weeks. If I googled her middle and last names I'd get a supreme court justice.

I googled my dh once, btw. It was very disturbing to find that he had died in Iraq just a week before the search. I sat at my desk and bawled. It was very spooky.

Edited by PrairieAir

Both my ex and my current partner are easily Google-able, but I could only find two hits on me and my kids using our real names (not counting all of my FaceBook friends pages). One was a friend congratulating us on the birth of our youngest in a blog post. Another was a blurb from the local paper. They interviewed my then-five-year-old about a space science exhibit he attended as part of his fifth birthday celebration.

ETA: Found another on me. It's a combox link to my FaceBook account. Darned FaceBook.

Edited by dragons in the flower bed

The "fake" ones (with the same names) are making me giggle. Who knew your kids were construction workers and fire dancers!!

I guess the good thing about having kids with non-traditional first names and hyphenated, and unusual, last names means: I know that the results really are my kids. So far, everything that comes up in searches with their names really is *them*.

Which is sort of cool, excepting the page from Russia, which I cannot figure out. I can't see how a 7 year old Level 4 rhythmic gymnast from a backwater in a non-competitive country (the US) would come to the attention of anyone interested in RG in Russia! The possibility that its a Russian page of meet results from a Russian gym owner/meet director (of a US meet DD was at) has occurred to me though, and I'll bet thats it. I'm not concerned, just curious.:001_huh:

Both of our kids have very common first names (bit old fashioned in dd's case, but common) and our last name is pretty common in some places as well, so all of the hits that come up are other people with the same name...

...I did have to grin though because apparently one of the people with the same name as dd11 is a singer and just won a bunch of awards of some sort....dd11 *is* a singer - she has a beautiful voice and a weird ability to play anything she hears on a piano despite never having a lesson - perhaps the results will be true to *her* own life some day as well! :D

Also amused as ds10's results here - apparently he's well known for his dirtbike stunting stuff....quite a feat considering that he's blind. ;)

You can use this website to find out how many people in the U.S. have the exact same first and last name as you:

http://howmanyofme.com/

The winner in our family was dd12, with 12 people in the US with her name, but now Baby is the only one with his name!

This is an interesting link. With my married name, there are over 100 people with my name. With my maiden name, however, it looks like I was the only one!

My oldest ds has lots of hits; mostly to do with scienctific research and a couple papers he has co-authored. My oldest dd just has a couple of hits and they were for facebook. My middles ds and dd each had one and it had to do with birth records. My youngest ds did not have any. I have a couple to do with homeschooling.

God bless,

Vicki

I just did and found out that a boy with ds's exact name died at the age of 6 last year not far from my hometown. ugh. poor kid's parents. very creepy to look at an obituary with ds's name.

The only thing that came on both of them was their names in dh's grandfather's obit.

That was amusing. Very few results for my kids.

My oldest is, apparently, a footballer in England.

My next two kids had no results at all, outside of my husband's old blog archives.

My youngest, with the most unusual name of the bunch, is apparently a cricket player, and an angler, both in Australia. It blows my mind that there are two people in Australia with his first and last names. Betcha neither has his middle name.

The only hits that actually come up that are my kids have to do with the library. DD's was for winning a weekly drawing during last summers reading program, and the three boys were at story time when the reporter was taking pics for the expansion of our library. Thanks for getting me to do this, I had never seen when they had printed the article. It looks like it may have been a "made for web" article.