Menu

Yep, I am old. The new historical character from American Girl is

mommyoffive

See, I had zero need for a Trapper Keeper in elementary school. One teacher for almost everything. One classroom. One desk.

Middle school, which was 7th-8th for me, had constant movement between rooms, papers to shuffle, different teachers for each class, and lots of need for organization.

Life was so much easier in elementary. Well, except my dad was out of work for a couple of those years.

On 9/15/2020 at 3:32 PM, Matryoshka said:

This is true for me too. I was not yet hip to any pop culture when I was 11 at all... the 70s passed me completely by other than some ugly pants, lol. The 80's are much more my decade!

The 70s was a VERY ugly decade.   It makes me shudder.

Teddy Ruxpin.  . . she needs a Teddy Ruxpin, (mil bought one for 1dd).  Or a cabbage patch doll.  (those things were so ugly.)

eta: what was the name of that doll family - size of barbies, but mom, dad, and babies. . .. My nieces had them.  Lots of accessories.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 7:55 PM, MercyA said:

Oh my goodness. Not only a Caboodle (with a banana clip in it, no less) and a Walkman, but an acid-washed jean jacket and skirt, lace gloves, a "paint splatter" dress, Lisa Frank-esque school supplies (including puffy stickers!), mix tapes, a paper "cootie catcher" / fortune teller, a Pacman arcade game, jelly bracelets, scrunchies, a Swatch-style watch, a Care Bears sleeping bag, hairspray, high tops....

Best.American.Girl.Ever.

They know the moms are going to want it.

AND AN AMERICAN GIRL DOLL OF HER OWN! MOLLY!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The 1970's Julie doll could have been modeled after my sister. I swear my sister dressed exactly like the Julie doll. 

I graduated high school in the early 80's, so most of the new historical 😲doll's things are familiar. I remember our school supply lists always said "no Trapper Keepers" and when my oldest child was in elementary school, the school supply list still said that. All the kids in his class were happy one year when they had a teacher who said she would allow Trapper Keepers if that was what worked for a student to stay organized.

This American Girl is like so totally tubular! You know, Addy escaped from slavery, and Caroline helped win the war of 1812, but could they reach level 9 in Pac-Man? I don't think so! Duh!

Thanks for posting this. My daughter is so excited. (In fact, she probably needs to take a chill pill 😉)

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

On 9/16/2020 at 4:46 PM, cintinative said:

I just saw an article on FB that said banana clips are coming back into style. LOL!

I saw that, too!  I was 15 going on 16 in 1986.  I wanted a banana clip soooo bad, but for some reason never did get one.  I used to think they made your hair look so beautiful—like achingly beautiful. So, so pretty!

And then over the years, when I look back at them, I think it kinda makes a person’s hair look silly.

Regardless, when I saw they are coming back, my first thought was, “Finally! I’ll get my chance!!!”  But at 47, I’m probably too old for one now.  😞

Edited by Garga
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Garga said:

I saw that, too!  I was 15 going on 16 in 1986.  I wanted a banana clip soooo bad, but for some reason never did get one.  I used to think they made your hair look so beautiful—like achingly beautiful. So, so pretty!

And then over the years, when I look back at them, I think it kinda makes a person’s hair look silly.

Regardless, when I saw they are coming back, my first thought was, “Finally! I’ll get my chance!!!”  But at 47, I’m probably too old for one now.  😞

You are not too old, and should definitely get one. Maybe you will feel silly, maybe you will feel beautiful - but you deserve the chance to try! 

• Like 3

On 9/15/2020 at 6:55 PM, MercyA said:

Best.American.Girl.Ever.

They know the moms are going to want it.

I cannot argue with either of those things. 

I was in college by 1986, but I rocked that side pony tail in the early 80s 😂

On 9/16/2020 at 8:03 AM, vonfirmath said:

Quill, she DOES have mix tapes. And a 'Boombox" that can really play them

When a boy made you a mix tape, that was true romance. 

• Like 1

On 9/16/2020 at 10:43 PM, gardenmom5 said:

eta: what was the name of that doll family - size of barbies, but mom, dad, and babies. . .. My nieces had them.  Lots of accessories.

In the 80's? Probably The Heart Family (technically Barbies).

In the 70's we had The Sunshine Family! I still have mine and their house. And, yes, the house was all tricked out in gold and orange and brown. 🙂 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1