Menu

Yep, I am old. The new historical character from American Girl is

mommyoffive

23 minutes ago, Plum said:

Aww so my kids can learn what it was like back when I was a kid?! 

dd just turned 13 and cleared out her room of any remaining AG paraphernalia. Even the doll of the year that shared her name. I said she should at least keep that. Nope. Well I’ll just set that one aside for own sentimental value. 

She is going to be SOOO happy 20 years from now when you pull that out to give to her! I really appreciate and treasure (now) the books that my mom saved from my childhood -- at the time I was a kid I "knew" I would never want them again... So glad mom knew best! 😉 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

She is going to be SOOO happy 20 years from now when you pull that out to give to her! I really appreciate and treasure (now) the books that my mom saved from my childhood -- at the time I was a kid I "knew" I would never want them again... So glad mom knew best! 😉 

Yup. I salvaged homeschool co-op yearbooks from dd’s throw away pile. You’re probably gonna want these, girlie...her (now) bf was like 7 years old in those pictures. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Plum said:

That's how I think of it. While I would be more the same age as Julie than Courtney, I could probably relate more to whatever Courtney has going on in her room. 😎

This is true for me too. I was not yet hip to any pop culture when I was 11 at all... the 70s passed me completely by other than some ugly pants, lol. The 80's are much more my decade!

Oh my goodness. Not only a Caboodle (with a banana clip in it, no less) and a Walkman, but an acid-washed jean jacket and skirt, lace gloves, a "paint splatter" dress, Lisa Frank-esque school supplies (including puffy stickers!), mix tapes, a paper "cootie catcher" / fortune teller, a Pacman arcade game, jelly bracelets, scrunchies, a Swatch-style watch, a Care Bears sleeping bag, hairspray, high tops....

Best.American.Girl.Ever.

They know the moms are going to want it.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, hippiemamato3 said:

An 

Heh...I thought "about 10" was close enough! I was 8 in 1986 when I got my Molly doll! 

Sigh... by the time American Girls even existed I was to old for them... and I was a kid who played with dolls longer than average!  I didn't even hear of their existence till I had kids of my own...

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

I saw this today in my email.  I might be the only one with a 17yo who still loves American Girl dolls.  I haven’t read it, but I think it might be part of her common app essay.

My 16-year-old still loves hers...she has a half dozen of them! Of course, I also love mine...the one I got when I was 10 or 11, and the one my children gave me for my birthday a few years ago. And I'm sure I'll also love Courtney, who I ordered this evening because I need to relive my childhood. 🙂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Oh my goodness. Not only a Caboodle (with a banana clip in it, no less) and a Walkman, but an acid-washed jean jacket and skirt, lace gloves, a "paint splatter" dress, Lisa Frank-esque school supplies (including puffy stickers!), mix tapes, a paper "cootie catcher" / fortune teller, a Pacman arcade game, jelly bracelets, scrunchies, a Swatch-style watch, a Care Bears sleeping bag, hairspray, high tops....

Best.American.Girl.Ever.

That description for sure makes me want one 😊😊😊

• Like 5

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

Best.American.Girl.Ever.

Called it! 

• Like 2

I'm torn between feeling ancient and wanting her (I have my Molly (which I bought on Ebay when DD got her first AG )and DD's Kaya put away. I was a high school freshman, so Courtney's clothes and accessories are super familiar. Although she needs a trapper keeper....

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I'm torn between feeling ancient and wanting her (I have my Molly (which I bought on Ebay when DD got her first AG )and DD's Kaya put away. I was a high school freshman, so Courtney's clothes and accessories are super familiar. Although she needs a trapper keeper....

She totally needs a trapper keeper!

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Jaybee said:

You bunch of babies! I had my first child in 1986. 😜  And I was NOT a teenaged mom. So yeah, I'm old...(it's not all bad).

I'm right behind you. My first was born in 1989. (And the 80s are not "historical". If I was alive and I remember it, then it isn't "historical".)

Susan in TX

(A 20 year old trapped in a 52 year old body)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Karen A said:

Has it been mentioned that one can buy an AG doll (Molly) for Courtney to play with. Comes in a little box, with a little book and catalog...

American Girl came out in 1986 and I believe Molly was one of their first dolls

ETA: Which probably explains why Courney is 1986 and not 1984

Edited by vonfirmath
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Junie said:

Legwarmers, people.  She needs legwarmers.

There's an extra clothes set that has them. And you know there will be a bunch of authentic 1980's outfits on Etsy as the designers who lived through the decade get on it 🙂 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

I think 10-going-on-11 was too young for a Trapper-Keeper. 

Source: I was 10-turning-11 in 1986. Trapper Keepers were for middle school, which was 6th-8th or junior high 7th-8th/7th-9th back then.

Does anyone know where Courtney hails from?

In my district there were 5th grade schools that we went to for just that year and that's when I got my Trapper Keeper.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RootAnn said:

Source: I was 10-turning-11 in 1986. Trapper Keepers were for middle school, which was 6th-8th or junior high 7th-8th/7th-9th back then.

Trapper keepers wouldn't fit in the lockers at the Junior-Senior high, so pretty much all the kids had them in about 4th-6th grade :)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cintinative said:

There is a shocking lack of jelly bracelets. And her bangs are all wrong. They should be at least three inches above her head. LOL.

Actually there are jelly bracelets.

You can see them in the picture of her with her Walk-man in front of the Pac-man machine

https://www.americangirl.com/shop/p/courtneys-accessories-grn42

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RootAnn said:

I was 6 and more than half of my first grade class had them.  By 2nd grade they were banned because they didn't fit into the school desks well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just can't get over the fact that a time that I clearly remember is being called "historical" . . . that word should be reserved for times I wasn't alive, or at the very least, times I was too young to remember! 😐

Reminds me of the first time I heard the radio refer to songs, that I remember the release of, as "classics". 

I don't even know how to feel. 😂 Dh (almost a decade my junior) will have a field day with the jokes.

P.s. The jokes are a mutual thing. Despite his youth, he acts like an old man and people often think we're the same age.

• Like 2