Menu

Is Trick or Treating banned where you live?

mommyoffive

I haven't heard yet.  I hope they don't cancel assuming we're talking about old school outdoor house to house trick or treating.  It actually seems like one thing could be safely done.  We usually sit on the front lawn with the fire pit and kids pick their candy out of a bucket, no one within 6 feet on a regular year.  They should make some recommendations for the HOW.  I actually think cancelling it entirely could backfire and encourage people to have private indoor gatherings because that's how things seem to roll.

Edited by FuzzyCatz
  • Like 5

No idea. It’s probably fairly low CV19 (fires and so forth another matter depending on rains) risk, but our area is not suitable whether it’s on or off.  Usually a church will host a trick or treat alternative- and that might be more high risk for CV19.  They could probably be do a parking lot version with kids going car to car. I guess. 

8 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I haven't heard yet.  I hope they don't cancel assuming we're talking about old school outdoor house to house trick or treating.  It actually seems like one thing could be safely done.  We usually sit on the front lawn with the fire pit and kids pick their candy out of a bucket, no one within 6 feet on a regular year.  They should make some recommendations for the HOW.  I actually think cancelling it entirely could backfire and encourage people to have private indoor gatherings because that's how things seem to roll.

This is what I'm planning to do this year.

Our "normal" is a crowd of kids coming up the stairs to the door.  It would  definitely be way less than six feet.

24 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

I plan to take my kids trick or treating if it isn't cancelled.  I don't however know if it's cancelled or not.

We live at the back end of a neighborhood, on a street with very few small kids, so in the past years, we haven't gotten many kids.

I generally take them further up in the neighborhood.  

?

Going door to door while wear masks (as many halloween costumes do have masks) doesn't seem any more dangerous than grocery delivery, amazon delivery, etc etc.  I mean all those folks are going door to door wearing masks every day, right?

Yeah, I was thinking that T&T is like a made-for-pandemic holiday.  It seems super-low risk.  It's outside, you can wear a mask, the treats are all hermetically wrapped, it's lower-contact than grocery shopping or certainly restaurant eating - kind of like take-out, which has been going on the whole time, even during lockdown.  I can't even figure out why it should be cancelled anywhere?

We never get T&Ters on our street, so it's kind of moot for me, but if we had them, I'd have no problem handing out candy...

Thanksgiving and Christmas, on the other hand...

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Around here, that's called "Trunk or Treat."  Sometimes people go all out....they open the back ends of their vans and SUVs and have decorations and a whole set up, and kids go from car to car in the parking lot

That sort of thing though seems less socially distanced than just regular old trick or treating.  

Yeah, traditional T&T is the way to go.  The Trunk or Treat thing is something I've only heard of.  I don't really get the point...

Our town usually has a big Halloween extravaganza, but that's been canceled. Haven't heard anything about trick or treating yet. My kids are too old for that now (thankfully 😛) and we don't get trick or treaters at our house (we live out in the country), so it won't affect us one way or the other.

5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

This is what I'm planning to do this year.

Our "normal" is a crowd of kids coming up the stairs to the door.  It would  definitely be way less than six feet.

Really, it shouldn't be so hard for family groups to come up to the door together and others to wait their turn...  this is not rocket science...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

Around here, that's called "Trunk or Treat."  Sometimes people go all out....they open the back ends of their vans and SUVs and have decorations and a whole set up, and kids go from car to car in the parking lot

That sort of thing though seems less socially distanced than just regular old trick or treating.  

I agree. But better than indoors in a church building probably. 

In our rural and hilly area “regular” trick or treating is not a thing. Many houses are spaced small farm distances apart. 

3 minutes ago, Pen said:

I agree. But better than indoors in a church building probably. 

In our rural and hilly area “regular” trick or treating is not a thing. Many houses are spaced small farm distances apart. 

Here too, that's why we don't get T&Ters in our 'neighborhood'.  Takes 5 minutes to walk between houses.  There are neighborhoods in town that are much closer together that it seems people gravitate to instead of going in ones like ours.  When our kids were little, we'd go to my brother's family's house for T&T - they had a neighborhood with 1/4 acre lots that went all-out, and the cousins got to have the holiday together.  My parents would visit too, and get to see all the grandkids at once.

Indoor T&T is, imho, not T&T.  Time to go old-school!

Edited by Matryoshka

43 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Is Trick or treating banned in your city?   What are your plans for Halloween?

It's not banned.  I assume we'll do the same as always: decorate our yard, dress up 🤡, pass out candy🍡, and the girls will go trick or treating 🎃 (in our area teens are welcome to join in the fun).   As far as activities go, it's pretty low-risk: it's outdoors, small groups, and most people will have masks on:ph34r:.   I hope my neighbors join in, because kids deserve to have a bright spot of fun in what's been a pretty lousy year.  

• Like 3

I doubt it will be cancelled here.  My mom lives where she gets tons of kids each year. My dad is old and has bad lungs.  I told her to fix up treat bags and put them on a table more than 6 ft away, sit on the porch and say happy Halloween.  Perfectly safe if everyone did it like this. Whether we do, idk. Like someone said, it is as safe as grocery shopping? I mean, kids are back in school, might as well?? I wish they would cancel it, I hate to be the mean mom that says no.

Based on what I've seen in the past several months, I don't trust people to do trick or treating safely. That's really unfortunate because it actually could be done. 

I admit to liking the six-foot PVC "candy slides" being made by some. I'd love to do that another year. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Pen said:

No idea. It’s probably fairly low CV19 (fires and so forth another matter depending on rains) risk, but our area is not suitable whether it’s on or off.  Usually a church will host a trick or treat alternative- and that might be more high risk for CV19.  They could probably be do a parking lot version with kids going car to car. I guess. 

See the kids going car to car still ends up being a lot of people in close confines.

I'm thinking an alternative for a Service Project we usually do (Special Needs Trunk or Treat) might be to individually bag up candy and put together a decorated "booth" with the bags outside. Then those providing the candy leave and the kids who are trick or treating go through the booths in family groups, taking a bag from each table, and suitably distanced from the next family coming through.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

Yeah, I was thinking that T&T is like a made-for-pandemic holiday.  It seems super-low risk.  It's outside, you can wear a mask, the treats are all hermetically wrapped, it's lower-contact than grocery shopping or certainly restaurant eating - kind of like take-out, which has been going on the whole time, even during lockdown.  I can't even figure out why it should be cancelled anywhere?

We never get T&Ters on our street, so it's kind of moot for me, but if we had them, I'd have no problem handing out candy...

Thanksgiving and Christmas, on the other hand...

I think the big issue is person in house rubs nose, answers door, pulls out candy from the bucket with germy hand, puts it in kid's bag. Kid rummages in bag a few minutes later and gets germs on hand, rubs face. 

I know that surface transmission isn't the MAIN way that this is spreading, but it does seem to be A way it can spread.And therefore collecting things that have been possibly sneezed on from dozens of different households  is an issue. 

You could make it more safe by telling kids not to touch the candy for a number of days, but man, that would be a bummer to a young kid! Or mom could open it and dump the candy onto a clean surface for them to eat. But again, you'd have to keep them from grabbing at it while walking around...

Plus here yes, kids all crowd up at the door, often half a dozen or more at a time, and no, not all from the same family. one sneezes and they all are exposed. And you KNOW people will take a kid who is "a little sick" out rather than be mean and make them miss trick or treat. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Is Trick or treating banned in your city?   What are your plans for Halloween?

I don't see how they could reasonably enforce that. They couldn't even stop kids from shooting off fireworks this summer, which is ALWAYS illegal in NYC, they're not going to come down hard on kids trick-or-treating, especially if the schools are still open.

Regardless, my plan is to put out my normal trick-or-treat supplies in a bucket, replenish hourly. I'm not answering the door this year.

It's not cancelled here. 

A Girl Scout Troop in our neighborhood is planning some form of "Trunk or Treat" or similar at our neighborhood lake; I'm waiting on details on that to see if we'll participate or not (it's meant to be a safe way for the kids to get candy w/o door-to-door'ing it, and neighbors invited to participate). 

Depending on what that entails, we may do that, or I may just make individual goodie bags for the kids we know personally and drop those off the day of. I adore passing out candy, but.....just not sure whether or not to do so this year (numbers in my county are decreasing, but still high double digits announced every day). 

I'm fine with outdoor Trick or Treating, with everyone wearing masks.  There are probably even ways to make it even more socially distanced:  toss candy down wrapping paper tubes into children's containers or something.  But even as normally done, pretty safe.  

Now, large hordes of children shouldn't be meeting up, ideally, and indoor events or even Trunk or Treats seem more problematic.  Halloween parties seem like a terrible idea.  

• Like 2

Trick or Treat is just a grass roots thing here.  No one sets it up, it just happens organically.  Anyone who doesn't want to participate any year just turns off their lights and doesn't go out.   Certain people think it's evil and never participate and others get older and just can't be bothered and it's no big deal we just skip their houses when we notice the lights out.   We will participate this year as usual.

• Like 3

So far it has not been banned and I don't expect it to be.  Trick or treating is definitely safer than parties or trunk or treat. 

We will probably make a candy slide for the fun of it. 

I will have extra candy so my kids can eat that right away and let there stash sit for a couple of days.  

If my kids were still of TorTing age, I’ll definitely take them.  Sooo easy to stay away from others during that activity.  And even walking up to the people’s houses and being an arm’s length away is ok with me if the kids are masked.  You have to be around someone breathing their air for more than 20 seconds to catch Covid.

However, I would quarantine the candy for 48 hours, just in case someone had sneezed on a candy before handing it out.  The virus should decay after 48 hours.  I’d buy a little bit of candy they could eat on Halloween night, but we’d save the TorT stash for a couple of days.  

Halloween parties are much more dangerous and a terrible thing to do to replace TorTing!  

• Like 3

Last year I let kids reach into a treasure box of coins and other prizes and grab; I'm thinking I don't like it for this year. And DS normally goes to a friend's house for a party, and then they trick or treat in a group. Not happening. Dude can't eat the candy anyway.

I'm going to let DS help me dye my hair blue (he has been asking for ages) and we'll make a pumpkin pie or something at home. I'm thinking that will be it. Will this be the year we're done with Halloween? I kind of hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mbelle said:

Trick or Treat is just a grass roots thing here.  No one sets it up, it just happens organically.  Anyone who doesn't want to participate any year just turns off their lights and doesn't go out.   Certain people think it's evil and never participate and others get older and just can't be bothered and it's no big deal we just skip their houses when we notice the lights out.   We will participate this year as usual.

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is here too.

I  have no idea if the local cities will ban it or not, I am guessing not.  But we live in the county in a neighborhood, and our neighborhood has already said they want to go on with Trick or Treat as usual.

I would like to find a safer way to hand out the candy, so I am thinking of setting up a slide for the treats so they aren't coming onto our porch or the front door.  Most of the people around here are not good at masking, so I don't want them close to us, but I still want the kids to have something to look forward to.  The main difficulty is allergies, we usually have separate buckets for kids with allergies, and asking them from a distance might lead to confusion.

Our neighborhood is one where people like to drop off kids and it becomes crazy for several hours, though my cul-de-sac is usually not to bad.  I am hoping that people don't hear we are still doing stuff and have an even bigger deluge of people, mostly for social distancing reasons.

• Like 1

Nobody really knows for sure in my community. The city said all city events are cancelled until the end of October and trick or treat has a specific time in our city, but it's not clear if the order includes trick or treat. My neighborhood usually gets lots and lots of trick or treaters and I'm inclined to turn out my lights and not participate this year. My kids are teens anyway so maybe we'll just make a fire and get some candy or something. The thing people are most worried about is the night where drunk college students in costume take over the downtown. There's no way to have that event safely.

We live in a neighborhood that gets a lot of trick-or-treaters - most years about 250 come to our house, but up to 400 if Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday and the weather is nice.  (And this year it is on Saturday which are historically the busiest Halloweens here.)

Sidewalks are packed, walkways are packed, porches are packed.  And it is easy to say that it could be done safely (handing out candy in the driveway, staying away from other groups), but you can only control your own behavior and I do not trust people around here to even attempt social distancing.

My kids are not go-with-the-flow kids, and due to mental health challenges trick-or-treating is dicey in the best of years.  It will be far better this year for us to cut our losses and celebrate in a way that is fun, stress-free and fully under our control.  We always pull down The Big Dress-up Box on October first, so they will get lots of costume play all month.  I bought a whole bunch of orange and black plastic Easter eggs.  In the weeks before Halloween, I'm going to have the kids use Sharpies to make pumpkin faces on them.  Then on Halloween I will fill them all with candy and trinkets and hide them around the house for the kids to find.  We will carve pumpkins, eat yummy Halloween themed foods, and gorge ourselves on candy.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Loowit said:

The main difficulty is allergies, we usually have separate buckets for kids with allergies, and asking them from a distance might lead to confusion.

Bless you for handing out allergy-free treats. Maybe make a large, cute teal pumpkin sign at the bottom of the slide that says something like, "Clap three times if you need allergy-free treats!"

• Like 2

I'm suddenly reminded, by the way, of my family's most memorable Halloween.

I was four or five years old, and Halloween included a torrential downpour. So of course we couldn't go out and instead my father stood behind the kitchen door so we could "trick or treat", giving us the candy that had been intended for other children and pretending to be a different person every time we knocked.

It is weird, but that was, in retrospect, the best Halloween. (Far better than the *second* most memorable Halloween, the year after my father died, when some snotty woman gave candy to my older sister, gave candy to her friend, and then told me I was too old. I was in the fifth grade! My mother still brings that woman up every year. What a witch....)

• Like 5

I would like to find a safer way to hand out the candy, so I am thinking of setting up a slide for the treats so they aren't coming onto our porch or the front door.  Most of the people around here are not good at masking, so I don't want them close to us, but I still want the kids to have something to look forward to.  The main difficulty is allergies, we usually have separate buckets for kids with allergies, and asking them from a distance might lead to confusion.

Maybe this year, just only give out glowsticks (or plastic rings, or super bounce balls, or whatever else it is that kids won't eat. Playdough is out, because some kids are gluten sensitive, and toothbrushes are stupid, but everything else is fair game.)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, wendyroo said:

We live in a neighborhood that gets a lot of trick-or-treaters - most years about 250 come to our house, but up to 400 if Halloween falls on a Friday or Saturday and the weather is nice.  (And this year it is on Saturday which are historically the busiest Halloweens here.)

Sidewalks are packed, walkways are packed, porches are packed.  And it is easy to say that it could be done safely (handing out candy in the driveway, staying away from other groups), but you can only control your own behavior and I do not trust people around here to even attempt social distancing.

My kids are not go-with-the-flow kids, and due to mental health challenges trick-or-treating is dicey in the best of years.  It will be far better this year for us to cut our losses and celebrate in a way that is fun, stress-free and fully under our control.  We always pull down The Big Dress-up Box on October first, so they will get lots of costume play all month.  I bought a whole bunch of orange and black plastic Easter eggs.  In the weeks before Halloween, I'm going to have the kids use Sharpies to make pumpkin faces on them.  Then on Halloween I will fill them all with candy and trinkets and hide them around the house for the kids to find.  We will carve pumpkins, eat yummy Halloween themed foods, and gorge ourselves on candy.

same here. I LOVE the orange easter egg idea! I may totally steal that!

4 hours ago, Tanaqui said:

Not quite perfectly safe, because the kids in groups will still bump into other kids in other groups, kids being kids - but safer. At least they're all outside in the fresh air.

Ok, well I can see what you mean, but I think it can be done safely in my parents neighborhood.  Parents almost ALWAYS accompany kids because it is hugely spread out, but still the most walkable neighborhood in our rural area, so everyone around comes there.  It just wouldn't be too safe for kids to walk alone because there aren't even sidewalks and lots of cars driving kids around.  Although there are tons of kids each year, it's always so spread out.  It would be SO easy to social distance.  In all the years I've taken my kids, we've never been grouped up with anyone.  I mean, it would be so easy to say, let's wait kids.  Like I said, there may be a couple groups of pre-teens, but kids 12 and under are ALWAYS with an adult.  Also, 85% of the people in the neighborhood are retired folks I'd estimate.  There are only a handful of families with young kids, so everyone has to drive in, there is no where for them to park unless they know someone who lives there.  So, most definitely kids will be with grown ups.  Now, maybe there will screw up grown ups who don't care, but it won't be hard to pull the kids back and say, wait. And face masks.  My 2 year old has been literally 1 place (to the doctor) since march because I'm being super safe, but I'm thinking t or t can be done safely.  I haven't decided yet, but leaning toward going.  IDK.  I'd imagine we'd hold off a while handling the candy.

Not sure if it's on or off in our area, but we're skipping it this year. It is probably a safer activity, especially since wearing a mask is part of Halloween and it's outdoors.  But, kiddo would be stressed out by it this year, I suspect.  Trick or Treating around here is sometimes fraught with conflict. There's a fire-and-brimstone dude that stands on the corner across from the Methodist church every Halloween, yelling about how we're damning the children to hell.  That guy plus covid plus politics means we're skipping. 

I just asked on our neighborhood's facebook page what people thought.  So far, one family has said they're game for it.  I'm hoping most people will participate. All the neighborhood kids are already hanging outside together again so I'm pretty sure at least those families will feel safe doing it.

My city councilwoman sent out a neighborhood memo saying that they are waiting on county guidelines for Halloween. Our indoor malls just reopened recently and has been reopened then closed before. My guess is that trick or treat wouldn’t be banned unless positive numbers go back up. 

13 hours ago, happysmileylady said:

I plan to take my kids trick or treating if it isn't cancelled.  I don't however know if it's cancelled or not.

We live at the back end of a neighborhood, on a street with very few small kids, so in the past years, we haven't gotten many kids.

I generally take them further up in the neighborhood.  

?

Going door to door while wear masks (as many halloween costumes do have masks) doesn't seem any more dangerous than grocery delivery, amazon delivery, etc etc.  I mean all those folks are going door to door wearing masks every day, right?

Groceries are a need.  When we had lockdown only essentials could be ordered online and all deliveries were contactless.

It isn't a big thing here and the only time we have had kids come was 10 years ago when they walked up the shared drive to visit the American guy who was renting next door at the time.  I am not expecting any change.