Menu

How to title honors courses so admissions reps notice

How do you title or otherwise indicate honors courses on the transcript, so the admissions people will notice?   Do you prefer one of these, or do you have another suggestion?

Honors American Literature and Composition

American Literature and Composition - Honors

English 11 Honors: American Lit. and Comp.

Great idea!  Thanks!  

Out of curiosity, did you post each semester's or year's grades separately?  Or did you list courses down the left side with the years going across and the grading scale/test scores/notes section going down the right side? That's the layout I've always used, and I'm struggling to figure out how best to show both a weighted and unweighted GPA for each semester, when space is at such a premium.  

15 hours ago, klmama said:

How do you title or otherwise indicate honors courses on the transcript, so the admissions people will notice?   Do you prefer one of these, or do you have another suggestion?

Honors American Literature and Composition

American Literature and Composition - Honors

English 11 Honors: American Lit. and Comp.

For the sake of brevity on the transcript, I just listed the course as Honors English 11. On the course description I put the full title of Honors English 11: American Literature and Composition.

5 hours ago, klmama said:

Out of curiosity, did you post each semester's or year's grades separately?  Or did you list courses down the left side with the years going across and the grading scale/test scores/notes section going down the right side?.  

I did not use that layout, sorry. I tried to find an example of the layout I used but can't. I ended up doing it by year & only including final grades (not semester ones for full year courses).

Agreeing to either put "Honors" first in the title or put "H" in a column to designate courses, especially if you have AP and DE courses too. I think you can do English 11 or American Literature and Composition. If you want to highlight that it was a solid, traditional program, then English 11. If you want to highlight that courses were focused - especially if there were any with interesting themes that might stand out a bit - then American Literature and Composition is better. Also, for a large state school that takes the majority of students - English 11 is a bit better because they just want to see that you checked the boxes. If a more competitive private is the goal (even if it's not that competitive) you might lean toward trying to look a little unique in course titles.

• Like 2