Menu

Would you eat this?

Toocrazy!!

Nope. I think 2 hours room temperature is the safe maximum. Beyond that there is risk of the bacterial having multiplied rapidly and some bacteria, even if you kill it with cooking, will already have released toxins that can make you sick. 

I'd think of it this way...if I did get sick, would I think it was worth it to have saved that $10? Like, while I'm hunched over the toilet puking, would I be willing to pay $10 to go back in time and not be sick? If so, skip to that part and throw them out, lol. I'd hate wasting them, but I'd hate making myself or worse, my kids, sick way more. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Kassia said:

I'm glad you played it safe.  I try to follow, "when in doubt, throw it out" but it's very hard to waste food that might still be fine to eat.  

I agree! And when I do it, there’s also the frustration of being mad at myself because I left it in the car or out on the kitchen counter for too long, or discovering that I left it in the refrigerator and then forgot I had it until it was past its expiration date. 

I’m glad you didn’t eat it. Yes the bacteria can be killed by cooking but there are still things that cause food poisoning unaffected by cooking. I was also thinking that 70 degrees air temperature could mean your car might be 80+ interior temperature. If it had only been an hour in the car, I would still eat it but not longer.