Menu

Lial's Precalculus scheduling/advice

Anybody here make it through the Lial precalculus book?  My DD finished Lial's Intermediate Algebra last year and did fine (B student). Math is not her passion.

She is starting 11th grade and due to circumstances is not taking classes at the CC. That's fine since I comfortable teaching math anyway. My question is how do I schedule this book? It has so much more packed into it than previous Lial's books. Anybody actually complete it in a year or choose to cut certain topics out?

Would I be better off (given her math reluctance) to spend 11th grade on the College Algebra book and do the Trig book for 12th grade? Our original plan was Precalc this year and then maybe Stats next. She isn't sure of future plans yet, but is thinking something along the lines of nursing or administrative work.

Thanks for any input!

I haven't seen the Precalculus book, but I have taught the Intermediate and Beginning Lial books. To schedule those, I generally take the number of lessons, reviews and tests and then just divide by the number of weeks of school to figure out how many things to cover a week. The books are designed to be done in one semester of college, so I would think you could cover most of it in a school year. 

Dd graduated last December with a nursing degree. She did College Algebra dual enrollment and then had to do a Statistics course for her degree. So she never did Trig or Precalculus and did fine on her ACT, too. If math is not her thing, I would be inclined to skip it and go with the College Algebra book and then Statistics. 

Edited by mom31257

The Lial Pre-Calc text contains the whole Lial College Algebra (one semester) and the whole Lial Trigonometry (one semester) materials. 

For your daughter's goals I would start by working through the College Algebra (first half) part.  Every odd is a bit much (unlike Introductory and Intermediate Algebra where it was just right).  I would probably do a few of the first problems, more of the middle and then a few of the end of each lesson (if that makes sense).  It is fine to take a year if you need too-- if you have a bit of extra time at the end of the year you could do a unit on probability or life-skills math.  Then in her Sr year she could take Statistics and be done.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 7:40 PM, sixpence1978 said:

Anybody here make it through the Lial precalculus book?  My DD finished Lial's Intermediate Algebra last year and did fine (B student). Math is not her passion.

She is starting 11th grade and due to circumstances is not taking classes at the CC. That's fine since I comfortable teaching math anyway. My question is how do I schedule this book? It has so much more packed into it than previous Lial's books. Anybody actually complete it in a year or choose to cut certain topics out?

Would I be better off (given her math reluctance) to spend 11th grade on the College Algebra book and do the Trig book for 12th grade? Our original plan was Precalc this year and then maybe Stats next. She isn't sure of future plans yet, but is thinking something along the lines of nursing or administrative work.

Thanks for any input!

My son is using Lial's Precalculus this year. He is a senior who will not need higher math for his major . I did what has been mentioned here (I have attached a general syllabus I created for the book I have to give you an idea). I circle the problems I want him to do once a month (usually 15 problems each day--Like Jann in TX suggested).

PreCalculus Syllabus.pdf

Edited by StillStanding
  • Like 1