Menu

Home redecorating help needed UPDATE and pictures

We have decided to do some upgrades to our house of 18 years then sell and purchase a house without as much land (so downsizing in a way-- plus we would pay cash for new house!).

Currently we have stained concrete floors (cinnamon color) in every room (4 bed 3 bath) and we really really need to put down new flooring before we sell.  We will put carpet in 3 of the bedrooms.  We would like vinyl planking in the main areas of the house plus the master bedroom.

Great room, kitchen and breakfast area are all open to each other.  Kitchen has white cabinets.  The great room has a wet bar with cherry stained pecan wood cabinets, the great room has a fireplace with a cherry stained oak mantle (just a few feet away from wet bar). The master bath (big room) has a whole wall (floor to ceiling) with cherry stained pecan wood cabinets (3 levels!)... other base cabinets are same wood/finish.

One of the other bedrooms is a 2nd master-- the bathroom (small) and dressing area will need tile.  DH agrees with this as that room was recently painted and carpeted and that flooring really does not match all of that.

DH found some vinyl flooring that he likes-- except it does not have a reddish (cherry) finish-- it is more brown/orange/yellow.  His sample looks good by itself until you put it next to any of the stained wood we have.  We could paint the wet bar and fireplace mantle white so those rooms would work with his sample (DH does not want to paint them) - but it will NOT work in the master bath (no way we are painting those beautiful cabinets!).  I say we we keep looking-- DH says it is fine and that people mix wood tones all the time...

I also think we could use his sample if we used ceramic in the master bathroom-- the soaking tub and the shower have lots of tile work-- that tile is no longer made so we could not match.  We would have to find a tile that would coordinate...  not sure if finding a suitable tile or just going back to vinyl planking would be easier.

DH is not a handy guy.  I've put tile in several of our past houses-- but I'm out of commission due to permanent back issues.  We would have to contract the work out...

In our price point we cannot give a 'flooring allowance' so something needs to be done SOON.

Update in last post

Edited by Jann in TX

I think it would be easier and less expensive to choose a flooring with a color that will work with the wood tones that you already have. I helped my dad pick flooring for his condo two years ago, and there were LOTS of choices just at the one store that he wanted to buy from. So I vote for getting some more samples before you decide.

• Like 6

Pick a warmer toned medium wood look LVT. Our TX house had a lot of cherry cabinetry, and we had wood laminate floors and tile that all coordinated well.

If this bothers you it will bother someone else. Trust your gut—that this doesn’t work.

• Like 4

Why not do vinyl tile in the bathroom? It does t have to match any of the other flooring. 

ETA, I kinda With I had stained concrete floors in my family room. They’re great for accessibility. Are you sure you can’t work the current modern look and keep the concrete? 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 2

Agreeing with others — he needs to pick a different color flooring that matches the cabinets and woodwork. The clash between cherry woodwork and orangey-yellow floors may not bother him, but it will most likely bother some of your potential buyers. If I were house hunting and saw that combo, I would think that I needed to either paint the cherry woodwork or redo the floors, and I would either factor that into what I was willing to pay or I'd pass on the house and look for something more move-in ready. If you're going to all the trouble and expense of adding new flooring specifically to sell the house, it seems crazy to purposely choose something that will almost certainly turn some buyers off! 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, bibiche said:

Will carpet actually add value to a house? The first thing I would do as a buyer is rip the carpet out. 

Me too! I would actually be thrilled with concrete floors, because then I would have a clean slate to do whatever I wanted. But I think most buyers are fine with carpeting.

• Like 2

The concrete floors have had their time (18 years)-- no way to refinish them --a few years ago we had someone come out to 'refinish' the 3 smaller bedrooms and that was a disaster!  HUGE waste of $$$ and the result was beyond horrid (lots of area rugs in use now).  In our area most kid bedrooms are carpeted.  That is something easy to change if buyers have need.  The main areas are what we are more concerned about.

The master bath is a big room-- extra tall ceiling and skylight... tub is in corner with half-walls of block windows-- so LOTS of light.  The cinnamon floor stain was made to coordinate with the cabinets.  The bit of the walls that have paint are a very light peachy beige.  The wall of cabinets is dark-- but it is balanced by the rest.  To me the room is crying for ceramic tile floors--it needs to be kept light. I don't think the room would handle 2 colors of wood. 

I've convinced DH to go looking again tomorrow.  We will take a cabinet door as well as tile samples with us. 

We MUST re-do the floors in order to sell-- has nothing to do with modern look-- they are still in fashion-- but they do not last forever and the floors in the kid bedrooms were ruined by the 'refinishing'.  For the selling price we are at it cannot be a fixer-upper. 

• Like 1

I brought home a handful of LVP samples from home depot and all but 3 of them would work with white, oak, and dark wood.  Keep looking.  and then bring your favorite 3-5 samples home to see in the space.  Crappy fluorescent light is totally different than the natural light of homes.

• Like 3

keep looking.

if he needs convincing - let him buy a few then put them next to the cabinets/etc. and he can see how much they clash.  people are turned off by things that clash - even if they dont' realize it is jarring them.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Me too! I would actually be thrilled with concrete floors, because then I would have a clean slate to do whatever I wanted. But I think most buyers are fine with carpeting.

According to RE agents, most buyers have little imagination to over look things that need to be repaired/replaced.  so - the seller is better off doing what they can to make it look good.

• Like 2
  • Jann in TX changed the title to Home redecorating help needed UPDATE and pictures

Flooring is IN!

After several stores we finally found the perfect vinyl flooring-- it was put in this past week and looks/feels great!

DH's original choice would NOT have looked good with the other wood colors-- BUT it looks AWESOME in one of the bedroom bath/dressing/closet areas (carpet in rest of room).

We are putting carpet in the 3 kid bedrooms-- common here-- goes in this week then just cleaning and sorting and throwing away TONS of junk we have stashed the last 18 years!  Hope to put house on market next week!

Here are some pictures:

First is entry way-- and my grandson Charlie!

Next is our Great room-- and yes those are baby elephant butts on the wall (my oldest took the picture when we were in Kenya)...

The wall of cabinets is in the master bath!  We use the middle row as our 'dresser'... others are mainly game/puzzle storage.

Last is my office.

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.16.41 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.16.46 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.16.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-18 at 9.17.05 PM.png

Edited by Jann in TX
information
  • Like 20

Wonderful!

Where did you get the cabinets?   We need something like this, we have been discussing it.   I would like this in our TV/Media/game room.

10 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

Flooring is IN!

After several stores we finally found the perfect vinyl flooring-- it was put in this past week and looks/feels great!

Can you share what you ended up buying?  I really love it.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Liz CA said:

@Jann in TX, this is the kind of floor I'd like for our bathroom. Is it water repellent / proof? 

Yes, this floor is vinyl and is 100% waterproof-- we put it in kitchen and baths! (Home Depot LifeProof)

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, DawnM said:

Wonderful!

Where did you get the cabinets?   We need something like this, we have been discussing it.   I would like this in our TV/Media/game room.

We had the cabinets custom made when we built our house (20 years ago building in our area was in a slump so it was cheaper for custom!)

You can still get the same look if you stack 3 rows of the 'deeper' upper cabinets (Even Ikea cabinets would do this).

• Thanks 1

We tried LOTS of other flooring places and ended up back at Home Depot-- they had the color we needed that coordinated with our assorted wood tones already in place.  This is their 'LifeProof' vinyl planking-- reasonably priced and would be a VERY easy self-install-- lots of online videos too.  I would have put it in myself if I were 20 years younger and did not have a spinal fusion!

• Thanks 1