Menu

Interactive History and Science

Bokons

The activity guide for Story of the World has loads of hands on projects for history. 

My hands on kid really, REALLY liked Bitesize Physics from Science Jim. It's for upper elementary or middle school. I can't think of much else, though I know they're out there. We never really clicked with an elementary science course well enough to stick with them. I hear Mystery Science mentioned often for hands on. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, OKBud said:

How old is the kid?

What historical and scientific subjects? 

Does interactive here mean that multiple people work together on the project, or that once the project is completed, people will manipulate it in some way?

She is almost 13, but is a bit behind due to hearing impairment (asking for a friend). Interactive means hands-on projects or activities, or high interest. They don't necessarily have to be manipulated. Usually and adult will work on the projects with her or supervise her. 

Any topics really, as long as they are interactive for her. Thanks!

8 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

The activity guide for Story of the World has loads of hands on projects for history. 

My hands on kid really, REALLY liked Bitesize Physics from Science Jim. It's for upper elementary or middle school. I can't think of much else, though I know they're out there. We never really clicked with an elementary science course well enough to stick with them. I hear Mystery Science mentioned often for hands on. 

Thanks, SilverMoon. I'll look into both of these 🙂

On 9/12/2020 at 3:30 AM, ballzy said:

She is almost 13, but is a bit behind due to hearing impairment (asking for a friend). Interactive means hands-on projects or activities, or high interest. They don't necessarily have to be manipulated. Usually and adult will work on the projects with her or supervise her. 

Any topics really, as long as they are interactive for her. Thanks!

What about using subscriptions? My 10 yr old DD is LOVING Which Way USA from Highlights, and we added in the Dover United States coloring book. Although that's a geography, not history thing. I hear great things about Mel Science kits as well. NOEO has kits that go with their stuff, and The Good and The Beautiful Science has hands on portions to almost all their lessons. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 7:12 PM, SilverMoon said:

Is this it? https://schoolhouseteachers.com/school-subjects/science/introduction-to-physics-class/

On 9/16/2020 at 8:21 AM, PeterPan said:

No, I don't think so. I used a pdf download from Science Jim's website. I can't find anything resembling his site today, but I do see the book at Lulu printing. Mueller is the right last name so maybe he made a new one.

• Thanks 1

If she likes art too, I LOVE the Arty Facts series. It has science topics with art projects that are amazing. I believe they are out of print, but can sometimes be found used. 

Story of the World has amazing projects for history. I have adapted them for high school even. We had a great middle ages based year for 8th and 10th grades with vol 2 activity guide. We just added in more library books and online "trips" to see the places. 

A Christian science book series that worked well up to 7th grade for one of mine to do mostly on her own was the Science in the Beginning Series. Even though the book says for up to 6th grade, one of mine used it in 7th grade. She used the Science in the Age of Reason book, did the readings and hands on herself that year. 

• Like 1

These books have great ideas for hands on projects.   See if your library has any:

For History AND Science: 

The Make it Work Series (like DK books but crafty...has very elaborate crafts). 

Ancient Science by Jim Weiss (combines science and history with science experiements and projects)

A long list of things that combine history and science, which includes a lot of science experiments and projects, organized by historic period:
http://imaginativehomeschool.blogspot.com/2017/08/resources-combining-history-and-science.html

And you can also just search pinterest.

For Just History:

Crafts from the Past Series

Classical Kids: An Activity Guide to Life in Ancient Greece and Rome (Hands-On History)
by Laurie Carlson

Ancient Israelites and Their Neighbors: An Activity Guide (Cultures of the Ancient World) by Marian Broida

Days of Knights and Damsels: An Activity Guide
by Laurie Carlson

Edited by goldenecho
  • Like 1