Menu

OneNote uses

workingmom

Those that use OneNote, do you save dowloadble files as "printouts" so you can visually see them or just as attachements? I feel the attachment sees its as a thumbnail and won't be as easily accessible. I'm starting to keep track of resources etc (which I used to do in Safari bookmarks in the years past) 

Would love any examples of organizing the folders or even pages. Currently I've made tabs for all her subjects and then pages for different resources/activities

I can't help with the first question, but I can tell you how I organize the folders. (I use onenote for planning, not for our actual day to day schedule)

My tabs are: Records, Plans, Math, Literature, Science, History... etc. (one for each subject area), plus one for philosophy and misc.

Under "records", I have one page for each grade. On each grade's page I keep track of  what we did for that year (headings for read alouds, science, history, etc.). (I don't have to track for our state, I just like keeping it for my own reference.) 

The "plans" tab is where I put stuff I want to remember for specific grades ("this is a great history program for 5th grade" or "oh, I want to make sure we read this book next year"). As I get closer to planning that actual year, it's where I keep my ideas/notes about what to use. 

The subject tabs have notes about that subject - mostly clipped from this forum 🙂. So for instance, my "Math" tab has pages labeled "multiplication/skip counting" (some resources about teaching this, and advice from the forum); "Math on the Level index card system" (the math program we used, and an alternative way to keep track of things"; "games" (math games I've run across"; "divisibility rules" (a chart I ran across that I found useful); "Jacobs Algebra" (a math program we're considering using, with quotes from various boardies about why they did/did not like it, to help me evaluate it); and so on. I refer back to these subject tabs when I'm planning for the year, and also when I'm struggling with something, and need to remember good advice I've seen here.

"Philosophy" is for great things I've read about homeschooling, how to help with complaining, dealing with tweens, etc. And "Misc" is for anything that doesn't fit anywhere else. 

I used just these tabs for many years. Now that DS is older, I have a separate one for high school (with pages about math, history, etc., so I can collect all of that in one place) and one for planning individual grades. I just finished planning 8th, and I ended up with a tab for 8th, and pages for lit., history, and science, because I was making them up entirely on my own (rather than following a curriculum), so I needed more room and organization than planning everything in one page. 

I've been using OneNote for ages, and I've really loved it for keeping all my homschooling ideas and information organized. 

Sorry I wrote a whole book about it! Hope it helps 🙂 

• Like 3