Menu

Best first time parents baby gift? under $50

I need to buy two baby gifts this month. One, is for a first baby....and it has me stumped.  I look at their registry and find a lot of duplicates (2 strollers and bassinets) and no enough variety of the essentials. What are some current essentials? (I haven't bought new born things for 21 years). 

The other family is quite wealthy and this is the 2nd child in 3 years. I will buy off the registry for them, but figure most of it is just things they don't need, but have on there to offer a chance for people to bless them.  They have a boy and are expecting a girl, so I will buy something gender specific. They have 6 weeks to go and have 44/77 registry items purchased.  I will put in a few toddler books too, which are always nice for a needed distraction in the low lights when feeding baby (very little reading needed). 

For other families, I usually buy something to distract the older kids lol, gender specific if there is a change from the last child, or something unique to the family (cloth diapers, toddler picture books, cozy things for mom, diapers/gift cards if on a budget etc). 

Any favorite baby board books, or toddler picture books? Any other ideas?

For the first time parents a pacifier thermometer, $5-$10,  muslin swaddle blanket,  $15-20?  I had some muslin bibs with teethers on them $15 for 2.  Maybe a few toys for 6+ months like balls and board books.  I also like prefold diapers- perfect for spit-up, milk leaks, changing pad- but not a lot of new moms realize how handy they are.  

For the second time parents, I'd get a swaddle and bow set.  I also liked having a few new baby toys- they can get yucky!  The teether bibs in girly colors- those are just great!

• Like 1

These aren't essentials but there are some things that I always wanted or loved getting as gifts but didn't buy myself because there are real necessities like diapers that always took my budget, lol:

I've always liked baby leggings things, especially if baby would be a crawler during cold months.

If mom will be nursing, nursing covers, nursing pillow, nipple care things and a good book.

If they are doing bottles, there are some fancy bottle warmer things for trips to keep the bottle warm longer or warm it in the car. 

Those carseat canopies to make a tent for baby when they are sleeping or to keep them warm/dry. I always wanted those and so compensated by giving them to others, lol.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

I've always liked baby leggings things, especially if baby would be a crawler during cold months.

I LOVE the baby legs!!  I used them with diaper only for crawlers.  Also, over pants in the front baby carrier(I hate when the pant legs ride up and freeze their bare legs!) 

I also love to give personalized cup labels.

• Like 2

@Moonhawk, this is absolutely not a criticism of you, but can you explain baby leggings to me? I just don't get them. Why not pants? I've seen babies wearing them in fall / winter and all I can think is, "Aren't their little thighs cold?" 

Of course I am obsessed with making sure everyone is warm enough at all times. 🙂 

• Like 2
1 minute ago, MercyA said:

@Moonhawk, this is absolutely not a criticism of you, but can you explain baby leggings to me? I just don't get them. Why not pants? I've seen babies wearing them in fall / winter and all I can think is, "Aren't their little thighs cold?" 

Of course I am obsessed with making sure everyone is warm enough at all times. 🙂 

Oh let me count the ways! lol 😉 

Because it's a lot easier to change a diaper without having to take off pants.

And for girls wearing cute dresses but either it's cold of they are crawling, it gives their legs protections. (I hate hate hate tights on baby girls, I could never get them on right, lol)

They can double WITH pants when it's cold for an extra layer of warmth and the baby doesn't freeze completely during diaper changes

They can help hold on socks!!

They are cute and come in different patterns that pants can't really pull off.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Moonhawk said:

Oh let me count the ways! lol 😉 

Because it's a lot easier to change a diaper without having to take off pants.

And for girls wearing cute dresses but either it's cold of they are crawling, it gives their legs protections. (I hate hate hate tights on baby girls, I could never get them on right, lol)

They can double WITH pants when it's cold for an extra layer of warmth and the baby doesn't freeze completely during diaper changes

They can help hold on socks!!

They are cute and come in different patterns that pants can't really pull off.

And shoes! I would keep them hooked on the heels.  Then there were no chilly ankles!

• Like 2