Menu

Y'all need this bag

ktgrok

I'd feel badly about encouraging consumerism or whatever, but it's only $6 (EDIT - It is on sale for $4.99! PLUS a coupon!) so...whatever, lol.  But seriously, these bags are on of my best finds! Would be fun for crafts, or pet supplies, or scout stuff - so many things! Would be perfect for a mom of a newborn to keep diapers, wipes, ointment, snacks, cell phone, whatever in - I always liked to have a container for that stuff out in the living room during the day and in the master bedroom at night so I didn't have to walk across the house when baby needed to be changed. 

https://www.michaels.com/artist's-loft-fundamentals-tote-bag/10159772.html

(I did make a video showing how we use it for my daughter's school stuff, but you don't have to watch it unless you want to see how much it holds, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phy-uFj7WuY

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 11

48 minutes ago, MercyA said:

Great deal! They want $13.69 for the exact same bag on Amazon. 

ETA: I'm glad you did the video, because it's a lot bigger than it looks on first glance! Love it.

That's exactly why I made the video. When I bought it I just was kind of going on faith it would work. But it holds way more than I even hoped! I just ordered two more, lol. ONe for my teaching stuff, and one for our art supplies. 

10 minutes ago, SquirrellyMama said:

I'm not quite used to my new bifocals yet so I read your title as "Y'all need a nap". I thought maybe there was a contentious thread 😜

Well, far be it from me to NOT suggest a nap, lol. Feel free to take one if you want, but not because anyone is cranky, lol. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Terabith said:

I found out yesterday that fanny packs are cool again, and I'm really pretty excited.  

5 minutes ago, Quill said:

I don’t need any more bags...I don’t need any more bags...I don’t need any more bags...

I have two fanny packs, three backpacks, but have no idea how many handbags I have so far. 

The tote OP linked would make a nice garden tools tote as well 🙂

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I really like that bag.  I have something very similar but the sides are too soft so they fall and it doesn't serve my purposes.  

Yes - I was worried about that! Thankfully this one doesn't do that. 

9 minutes ago, kand said:

Okay, but what did you order with them to meet the shopping minimum? I’m going in circles trying to find things I need so that I can order one of these and not pay for shipping, but I’m starting to think that’s a little dumb and I should just pay for the shipping rather than a bunch of stuff I don’t need. 😳

I am doing curbside pick up which is free. I'll send DH to pick it up tomorrow probably. Their curbside pick up is pretty spot on here. 

23 minutes ago, kand said:

Well, darn. I hoped you’d have more “have to have” items for me. This bag would actually solve an organizational problem for one of my kids, but I hate paying for shipping!

Well, they have great organization carts....you know, to put the bag on? This one is more expensive, with all the pegs. There is a more basic one for about $29. https://www.michaels.com/gramercy-rolling-cart-by-recollections/10555399.html?r=g&cm_mmc=PLASearch-_-google-_-MICH_Shopping_US_N_AllProducts_N_Standard_BOPIS_N-_-Everything+Else&Kenshoo_ida=&kpid=go_cmp-1545032874_adg-60529718524_ad-293389188148_aud-385702998888:pla-913436642303_dev-c_ext-_prd-10555399&gclid=CjwKCAjwnef6BRAgEiwAgv8mQWHEzDduAvi7gxY17E6F92h-1eMCYCN82JkPuFUmLuFUo4SYMSpzehoCDBIQAvD_BwE

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I don’t need any more bags...I don’t need any more bags...I don’t need any more bags...

Yep. Here, too. But I can always use a bag for holding my gardening tools, right? And at $5.20 including tax, the price is right (even if I don't use it for gardening.) I'm thinking it would also make a fun, functional gift bag.

• Thanks 1

Dagnabit! I need this bag 😵! At some point DH is going to ban me from WTM because of all of the lovely purchases I've made because of it (is it time for the unusual Christmas gift thread yet!?! 😂)

You are adorable and this bag is much bigger than I thought! Off to put it in my cart. LOL!

Edited by importswim
punctuation is a good thing!
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Wow,  I hate to think about how much that would cost from 31 Gifts.  Personalization is a definite plus, but sheesh.

If I bought that bag it would quickly become "personalized" with a strategic coffee spill, broken marker in one pocket, another pocket's glitter spill, and someone getting creative with a stapler. I'm just guessing.

None of that would stop me, but we don't leave the house enough to justify another bag. Now if you find a cute little bookcase....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

I want a ton of them. Some to give as teacher gifts. one to use for gardening. Some to keep on hand in case school goes back to virtual...

Maybe one to take to and from work.

Same. I am teaching 3 different classes, on 2 different days, and doing at-home PreK for a friend's 4 yr old granddaughter.....I feel like I need a bag for each of those things. Right?? 

Plus maybe a sewing one. 

Plus, ooh, teacher gifts....that's a genius idea and I may go ahead and get those ones (I got cute initial ornaments this year, early, when I saw them, so I could tie those onto this and be done!). 

I better grab them before they sell out near me....

16 minutes ago, TheReader said:

Same. I am teaching 3 different classes, on 2 different days, and doing at-home PreK for a friend's 4 yr old granddaughter.....I feel like I need a bag for each of those things. Right?? 

Plus maybe a sewing one. 

Plus, ooh, teacher gifts....that's a genius idea and I may go ahead and get those ones (I got cute initial ornaments this year, early, when I saw them, so I could tie those onto this and be done!). 

I better grab them before they sell out near me....

Yes. My daughter's teachers are going to be changing classes instead of the kids changing classes.

They have carts -- but it might be nice to have something smaller sometimes too.

• Like 1

I have a bag like that sitting on my couch but it's a tool bag.   My end pockets have my phone, my glasses, and some post it notes.  Dh's holds the tv remotes.  In the big middle is a box of tissues, a notebook, some lotion, a few other things that rotate.  The side pockets have pens, pencils, charging cords, my allergy meds, scissors, etc.   It basically stays sitting on the couch but is easy to move if we have company over. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SusanC said:

If I bought that bag it would quickly become "personalized" with a strategic coffee spill, broken marker in one pocket, another pocket's glitter spill, and someone getting creative with a stapler. I'm just guessing.

None of that would stop me, but we don't leave the house enough to justify another bag. Now if you find a cute little bookcase....

Oh hon.  Leaving the house is so not the point.

I have a choir bag, OK, so that one is intended to leave the house, but right now it just stores the music we are learning virtually.  It is hot pink with external pockets that are perfect for water bottles, and it has two tied notes on it in purple with the word SANCTUS! On it in gold.  (Because Sanctus is the song of Heaven and Earth). It is awesome.

Then I have a small tote for book groups.  It is big enough for the current a future selections and a knitting project, and a demure black and white pattern with a turquoise open book image on it and Just One More Chapter in script above and below it.  I use it mostly at home, but I always know where my book club stuff is.  

Then I have one for Bible studies.  And a large tote with ‘Cabin Bound’ and an image of a bear for carrying clothes to plop right into a drawer, like folded jeans and shorts.  And a tall bucket shaped tote to carry smaller items that need to be buried behind high walls like socks and underwear and bras.  And a thermal tote for when I stop at the store to buy meat, especially on a hot day.  And a kit for mobile office stuff—an extra large tote with three fold n files in it for my job.  And a big Creative Crate tote that I have not figured out how to fill yet, but with all the crafts I do there will surely be something.  And and and...

• Like 3

Thanks a lot. I had to go to the store that is near the Michael's so I bought 3 of the bags. I wish they came in more colors but at least now I finally have a place to put all the random pins that I've collected. I'm planning to use mine to carry my home school stuff around the house since we do some stuff upstairs & some downstairs. It will also make a great craft project bag for in the vehicle. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheReader said:

Okay, bought it. Well, five of them. Thanks so very much, Katie! (and your video was adorable!)

Wow. Now I'm wishing there was some way I DID get a kickback from Michael's, lol!

The teacher's gift idea is fabulous!

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

I got something similar as a gift once. It’s my traveling teacher bag. The way the big part is sectioned there are separate compartments for my clipboard, notebook, portable speaker, and charging cords. I keep pens, finger cymbals, ballet slippers, and an electronic metronome in the side pockets. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, hippiemamato3 said:

Can you fit a binder in it?

just tested mine, with a huge binder and yes, it fits standing up or in sideways (spine down), with room to spare. I can fit 3 one-inch binders plus some workbooks; I think you could get 4 one-inch binders in there probably (spine down). Standing up, about 1/3rd is above the bag, and you could easily fit 4 one-inch binders in there standing up, especially if you rotate them (so, spines on opposite ends).  

33 minutes ago, TheReader said:

just tested mine, with a huge binder and yes, it fits standing up or in sideways (spine down), with room to spare. I can fit 3 one-inch binders plus some workbooks; I hink you could get 4 one-inch binders in there probably (spine down). Standing up, about 1/3rd is above the bag, and you could easily fit 4 one-inch binders in there standing up, especially if you rotate them (so, spines on opposite ends).  

Fancy! I'm going to get a couple tomorrow then! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Paradox5 said:

What I need is that AWESOME wall map behind you in the video! 

Pretty sure it is this one https://amzn.to/2FqPe4x

DH mounted it to a board of some sort and framed it years ago. I asked him not to put glass over it so we could touch and trace the rivers and such with our fingers, thought about labeling areas with pins if we wanted, etc. It's held up beautifully, and I know when I've posted a photo of of it several other homeschool moms said they had the same on. And it's not expensive either!

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 2:49 PM, Ktgrok said:

I'd feel badly about encouraging consumerism or whatever, but it's only $6 (EDIT - It is on sale for $4.99! PLUS a coupon!) so...whatever, lol.  But seriously, these bags are on of my best finds! Would be fun for crafts, or pet supplies, or scout stuff - so many things! Would be perfect for a mom of a newborn to keep diapers, wipes, ointment, snacks, cell phone, whatever in - I always liked to have a container for that stuff out in the living room during the day and in the master bedroom at night so I didn't have to walk across the house when baby needed to be changed. 

https://www.michaels.com/artist's-loft-fundamentals-tote-bag/10159772.html

(I did make a video showing how we use it for my daughter's school stuff, but you don't have to watch it unless you want to see how much it holds, etc)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Phy-uFj7WuY

but the one thing I didn’t see was - can your kids actually carry it by the handles with all that stuff in it?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

but the one thing I didn’t see was - can your kids actually carry it by the handles with all that stuff in it?

so, testing mine out again....when I stand workbooks, etc. upright (instead of on their spines, though they do fit that way), I can still grasp both handles in one hand and carry it that way. I have right now in the one I just tested:
5 Singapore Math workbooks, all upright
4 Usborne books (narrow ones, like the Science Activities Vol....), also upright
Akebu to Zapotec (thin book)
Story of the Orchestra hardback book, that one is on its spine vs upright
a spray bottle of alcohol/cleaner (which is why I put the workbooks upright, to make room for the spray bottle)

So....it is heavy-ish but manageable for a grown-up with one hand. I don't have small children anymore to have them test it out, but I think a kid could probably manage with 2 hands pretty well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought 8. 😱

I've been in the thick of Christmas shopping and remembered this thread. So 2 for my kids + 1 for DH (grill tools holder!), 2 for the kids' artsy friends + 3 for young cousins (to stuff with fun things). 

I did pay shipping because I don't know when I'd get over to a store in person...but the price was still great! Like still $6ish per person. 

• Like 3

I forgot to mention that I bought one too back when this thread was new. It was a hunt in my Michaels. I finally had to look for it online so I could at least know what aisle it was one and it was still hard to find. It was on an endcap squashed flat and pushed to the back. I'm so glad I persevered because it's perfect for a hand quilt sewing project that will probably take me a year or two to finish.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I don't think this particular bag is what I need, but I know that I need a drawstring bag. Specifically, a bag that is made of anti-cut and water repellent polyester. It's a durable yet pleasant-to-the-touch material to keep your belongings safe. With the help of a set lock, you can attach the bag to any convenient immovable object and not worry about the safety of your belongings. Luckily, I found the website https://matohash.com/collections/favor-bags, which can make the bag I want in a fairly short time and at a low price.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

Old thread, weird first post, but hey!  It's good to know that the price is about the same!  (And I really do need this bag!  It has pockets!!)

I didn't even notice it was an old post.   It came right in time for me, I have a $5 gift voucher and didn't know what I wanted......I got this.....

1 hour ago, DawnM said:

I didn't even notice it was an old post. 

I didn't realize it either. I was thinking I don't actually need this bag - my homeschooler is now an adult and I don't have things I need to carry around. But then I thought, "Oh, that would be good for my current crochet WIP when I want to carry it around the house. The outside pockets are perfect for crochet needles and other supplies. I checked Michaels and it's only $5.99 now. I might be making a trip there in the next day or so. It's certainly a weird first post but sometimes revived old threads are a good thing. 🙂

• Like 2