Menu

Workers in my yard without permission

Zebra

I am not all wound up and this is NOT a big deal.   I know in light of everything this doesn't matter.    At all.   But, I am just perplexed and curious what others think about what I consider to be basic neighbor civility.

We have new neighbors next door.   We have a fence, that goes the length of the property and out in front our yard.   You can't get into our yard without going through our front yard.

I introduced myself to the new neighbors 6 weeks ago.  Just wanted to get off on the right foot with them.  Today they are having work done on the bushes that are up against their side of our fence.   All of the sudden there is some guy in our yard using whatever loud mechanical thing right next to our window and trimming their bushes from our side.   I was sitting there minding my own business and then this guy is right next to me.   Our windows are about 8 feet from the fence and they were inside our fence.   Again, they didn't just step out of their yard into our yard.   They had to go all the way around through OUR front yard to get to OUR side yard.

I mean, am I crazy for being kind of flabbergasted and not happy?   You don't just traipse onto people's property like this and start cutting things, right?   We have lived here for 16 years and the other owners have always managed to trim these bushes before without ever coming onto our property.   If they had come over and said, "Gee can we get on your property to reach these bushes" I would have said, "SURE, NO PROBLEM."  because that is not the issue here.

I went out  to the yard and yelled, "HEY, what are you doing?"   I knew what he was doing, but I didn't know what else to say.   He stopped, and told me they were trimming the neighbors bushes.   I said, "Ok, well, you've come into my yard, some warning would have been nice."     He said, "Sorry."   

I didn't want to stir up things but I thought, I have to at least go say something to the neighbors.   I was extremely nice about it.    And the neighbor apologized and said, "Well, they just showed up suddenly today."   I didn't know what to say, I just said, "Well, it was a bit alarming."   Again, I didn't know what to say to that!  Then she said, "I guess I should have come over and told you when they got here."   I felt like I was a schoolmarm disciplining a 5 year old, and thought ACTUALLY YOU SHOULD HAVE ASKED PERMISSION TO COME DO WORK IN MY YARD.   Between you and the landscaping people, NO ONE THOUGHT OF THIS?   Everyone else in the world enjoys people going freely in and out of their fenced in yard?   REALLY?   But I didn't say that, lol!

On my way back to my house, the guys doing the work were dragging 3 wheelbarrows through my perennial filled front yard, to go pick up what they had cut.   We have a paved driveway and walkway that goes over there, but they chose to go right through the garden.   At this point, I don't even know what to do.   As I am walking into my house the guy in charge yells at me, "I guess I should have come and knocked on your door."   I said, "Yes, I guess you should have."   

I know none of this matters.   And I hate to be all "what has happened to common decency" but good grief.   Am I right or not?

• Like 7
  • Confused 4

You are right! Though when we moved to our current house six years ago I found that people use my yard for a cut through and otherwise don't think a thing of it. I have a hill in my backyard that people I don't know come to sled on. ???? So this would absolutely happen here. 

One day my ds said "hey mom there is a woman in the backyard looking at our trees". I went out and a man had climbed way way up on of our trees to retrieve a cat. I was terrified he would fall. I went out (gingerly as not to startle him) to find out if he was okay or needed me to call someone for help. I couldn't believe someone was out in my yard climbing our tree far far above the rooftops without a word to me. (if he really was in too much of a hurry to inform me he was climbing my tree the woman with him could have).

But I have found that people just think I'm uptight to mind such things. But I am not wrong and neither are you!

I had something similar happen once, but the workers were reworking a drain. I complained to the worker, and he said he didn't know we hadn't been notified.

I think it was the fault of the neighbor, not the workers. The workers were just doing what they were hired to do, and it was up to the people who hired them to do the communicating.

• Like 1

Just now, happysmileylady said:

I don't think the problem is your neighbors....it's the workers.

I was absolutely shocked the first time the electric company meter reader simply walked into the back yard here to read the meter.  In the home we owned back in Indy, the meters were all read electronically/wirelessly.  In our previous rental, the meter was on the side....outside the fence.  Here, it's on the back of the fully fenced in yard.  Now, we don't have a lock on the gate because well, we don't really feel we need one.  But yeah, the guy opens the gate and walks into the back yard with absolutely no notice at all.  My first thought was "dang, good thing I don't have a guard dog back there."  And my second thought was "crap what if I had had my kids playing back there thinking they were safely enclosed!"  I have no problem letting preschoolers play in a safe, fully enclosed back yard, without me being *RIGHT* there every single second.....but if the gate is left open, I need to know that.

Now, I haven't said anything mostly because the electric company actually sent out letters requesting people make sure their meters are accessible, plus, we don't own this house.  But yeah.....workers should be letting home owners/tenents know when they need access to their yard....even if the occupant doesn't have to specifically take action each time.  

Ha! I just said the opposite about who to blame. But I agree with you about utility workers. They should knock. I just think they are a different scenario than workers hired by neighbors.

I guess I just don't get the attitude they all had.   You are going to let us do it, so why not cut out the middle man and not ask you!  And I didn't sue them or call the police, so, you know, what was the problem you crazy old lady!

My DH thinks that people have such a global attitude now that they don't seem to notice who is around them.    I posted a few months ago about my other neighbors who blare music and the bass thumps through our house.  It was a rough summer because of them, and this incident was no biggie compared to that.   But it is making me wonder, am I just a crochety complaining old lady now who will never be happy because the "good old days" are over, or do I need to get out of this neighborhood full of self-centered jackasses packed in like sardines?   

The neighborhood has DRAMATICALLY changed, for sure.   But I am just not sure if the whole world has changed.    My dad would have a fit when people didn't wear ties to church and pull out chairs for ladies, and that all sounds insanely quaint now.   So, maybe going onto other people's property without permission is passe now too....

• Like 1

OP, I would have been super pissed off about that, especially if they damaged your yard. 

We used to have a large horse property, and every once in a while I'd look out the window to see random strangers walking around, or I'd go into the barn and be shocked to find some stranger feeding the horses. Apparently my crazy neighbor liked to tell his friends and relatives that he actually owned our property and that some of our horses were his, so they would feel free to walk around the property and pet or feed "his" horses. I would have to explain that no, it was my property and their buddy did not "own" any of it, and to please leave — and then they'd act like I was being super rude and unreasonable that I didn't want them wandering around feeding random stuff to my horses. We also had a couple of incidents when people drove down our private dirt road, parked their car, and then climbed over the fence with small children to "pet the horses," and thought we were being rude when we told them it was really dangerous to let little kids run around in a paddock with 6 or 8 large horses, and to please not do it again. Some people are just nuts. 🙄

• Like 1
  • Confused 8
  • Sad 3

I think it’s a worker problem. More and more, they just show up vs. communicating, even with the people who hire them. I doubt your neighbor knew they would need to be in your yard or that they would be reckless. While communicating the timing of work has gone by the wayside, most workers do things the least disruptive ways possible, so I would not expect someone I hired to be that reckless. I would also expect them to knock on a neighbor’s door to get access.

Meter readers are like mailmen—no permission or notice is required to get to the box. I do think the utility company should have a system for warning new customers! 

• Like 3

I wouldn't be upset at all about the workers or neighbors not asking permission, stuff like that just doesn't even register for me.  I would have been a bit ticked if they were actually ruining my yard with the wheelbarrows.  

As your neighbor, after that encounter I would likely not be excited to interact with you in the future because you came to address something that was so silly to me (not talking about actual destroyed property. just some workers stepping foot on your property without your knowledge.) But my current interactions with one of my neighbors not liking that our kids play in the front yard might be making me really incapable of putting up with any neighbor stuff.

• Like 3

When we had our fence blow down in a incident that also destroyed our roof, and hired a new fence built, our next door neighbor got upset when they put boards for the fence on her yard. They were not there long enough to kill grass.

She seemed to think we needed her permission -- it honestly didn't even occur to me to ask. Our fence had blown down and it needed fixing so we were taking care of it.

Edited by vonfirmath

You are correct.  They are not.  You are liable if something happens on your property.  You need to know who's on it.  Also (don't know if this is your case but it has been the case for me) I have animals that have been let out of fences by workers  or meter readers who just mosey on in and leave the gate open.  Not to mention that if (God forbid) my dog bites them, then my dog will end up paying the ultimate sacrifice even though they were at fault for coming in without letting us know. 

And we absolutely ask our neighbors when we've needed to go on their property for any reason - including when we were fixing the fence between our properties. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I wouldn't be upset at all about the workers or neighbors not asking permission, stuff like that just doesn't even register for me.  I would have been a bit ticked if they were actually ruining my yard with the wheelbarrows.  

As your neighbor, after that encounter I would likely not be excited to interact with you in the future because you came to address something that was so silly to me (not talking about actual destroyed property. just some workers stepping foot on your property without your knowledge.) But my current interactions with one of my neighbors not liking that our kids play in the front yard might be making me really incapable of putting up with any neighbor stuff.

If your kids were playing outside in your fenced in yard and some strange man walked in and started working with some sort of huge trimmer, that wouldn't bother you at all?

Because that surprises me, honestly.  

• Like 1

OP, your exact scenario is what prompted me to finally put a bike chain and padlock on my 6ft privacy fence with no trespassing signs on the gates. I got tired of the neighbors' lawn care people coming into my back yard to trim the overhanging shrubs and tree branches, damaging my plants and grass in the process of their 'clean up'. Not only did I have a dog back there and I didn't know how she would react to a stranger in the yard, but I didn't want her to escape. It's also simply an invasion of privacy. 

People getting hurt while on your property is also a real thing. Even if they have their own insurance, that insurance company will go after you/your homeowner's insurance.

I am that crotchety person who hate people coming onto MY property.  My neighbors learned fast to ask me if their yard workers could come over to trim the shrubs/paint the fence/whatever.

I also had to tell repair/delivery guys to move their trucks from MY driveway when accessing my neighbors' AC unit and stuff. Seriously. I'm sorry that whatever you are working on/having to haul is on the side of the house opposite from their driveway, but MY driveway is not public parking!! And, no I was not nice when I had to tell them to move their oil-dripping trucks from my driveway.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

You are correct.  They are not.  You are liable if something happens on your property.  You need to know who's on it.  Also (don't know if this is your case but it has been the case for me) I have animals that have been let out of fences by workers  or meter readers who just mosey on in and leave the gate open.  Not to mention that if (God forbid) my dog bites them, then my dog will end up paying the ultimate sacrifice even though they were at fault for coming in without letting us know. 

And we absolutely ask our neighbors when we've needed to go on their property for any reason - including when we were fixing the fence between our properties. 

You posted this as I was typing my similar thoughts. My dog would not come home and would wind up dead since she's a herding dog and would get in front of the first car that drove by, trying to 'catch' the tire. And despite her being oh, so gentle, there is no telling what her demeanor would be if a stranger simply walked into 'her space'.

• Like 2

I really can't understand those of you who have a gate and people still amble in!   Shouldn't common sense tell you that there is a dog or other animal behind the gate that isn't going to be thrilled to see you? 

Then what, you need to get an electrified fence and a moat?????

• Like 2

This reminds me of the time new neighbors decided to park in my driveway without informing me because their driveway was being repaved.  We were both like "whose cars are these?" .  The new neighbors then came by and yelled from their window "its out cars, don't worry about it"....I just had a shocked look on my face, like people like this exist?  I don't understand some people and the though process. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, Lb20inblue said:

This reminds me of the time new neighbors decided to park in my driveway without informing me because their driveway was being repaved.  We were both like "whose cars are these?" .  The new neighbors then came by and yelled from their window "its out cars, don't worry about it"....I just had a shocked look on my face, like people like this exist?  I don't understand some people and the though process. 

I don't get people either.   I feel like sometimes if you don't pitch an absolute fit people just will do whatever they want.   They are counting on you not freaking out and taking a baseball bat to their car.    

• Like 1

The workers should have asked your permission as a matter of politeness, to which you would of course say "sure, no problem!"  Hopefully they have now learned to do that in the future.

I would not blame the neighbors, who probably reasonably assumed that the workers knew they should ask before traipsing over your lawn.

Personally I would not have been annoyed by this, but that's me.  I really don't care who comes on my lawn as long as they don't break or steal anything.  I probably would have gotten that amused face like "there are people who don't know to ask first?  I guess so."

Though I do have a pet neighbor/property peeve.  My neighbor likes to park his car in front of my very short treelawn.  Blocking my mailbox.  The mailman sometimes refuses to deliver our mail because he doesn't think he should have to get out of his truck.  Everyone asks me why I don't go over and tell the neighbor not to park there.  Like ... I don't want to be bitchy about something so ridiculous.  I don't want to complain about the mail guy because what if he retailates by dumping my mail in the garbage?  Life is so complicated....

I would have yelled at them to watch out for the flowers at the end as well.  That's really rude and I'm sorry, looking out your window to see a strange man in your yard is alarming.  

The cars in my driveway, I would have parked blocking them in and not been in a real hurry to let them out if they had to go somewhere.  

But I think people just don't respect other people or their property anymore.  The house right next door to us was a foreclosure that some people recently purchased to fix up.  They kept getting things stolen, work supplies and equipment, etc. so they set up cameras and alarms.  In addition to finally catching the actual thief, they caught some neighborhood girls breaking in just to dance around their living room.   When the parents were confronted the mom just laughed it off as "kids' stuff" and offered to have the girls write an apology note.   The girls were 16 and 19 so no, not kids.    And who does that?

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, SKL said:

Though I do have a pet neighbor/property peeve.  My neighbor likes to park his car in front of my very short treelawn.  Blocking my mailbox.  The mailman sometimes refuses to deliver our mail because he doesn't think he should have to get out of his truck.  Everyone asks me why I don't go over and tell the neighbor not to park there.  Like ... I don't want to be bitchy about something so ridiculous.  I don't want to complain about the mail guy because what if he retailates by dumping my mail in the garbage?  Life is so complicated....

It's so hard to know when to say something.   It used to be my MO to just let everything go, and then situations devolve and you have to say something.   

It would have bothered me quite a bit.  At our old house our neighbor was always good to give us a heads up when the lawn people were coming to trip the hedges between our property.  At our new house the neighbor has needed to come over a few times to fix his fence which runs along the property line.  He is always good to ask first, which is good because our dog is outside a lot in the fenced backyard.

When we have had workers come we have never warned neighbors because I never considered they might go onto other peoples property.  They always seem good about staying within our property boundaries.  If I thought it would be an issue we would of course talk to them and get permission first.

2 hours ago, Zebra said:

My DH thinks that people have such a global attitude now that they don't seem to notice who is around them.    I posted a few months ago about my other neighbors who blare music and the bass thumps through our house.  It was a rough summer because of them, and this incident was no biggie compared to that.   But it is making me wonder, am I just a crochety complaining old lady now who will never be happy because the "good old days" are over, or do I need to get out of this neighborhood full of self-centered jackasses packed in like sardines?   

The neighborhood has DRAMATICALLY changed, for sure.   But I am just not sure if the whole world has changed.    My dad would have a fit when people didn't wear ties to church and pull out chairs for ladies, and that all sounds insanely quaint now.   So, maybe going onto other people's property without permission is passe now too....

This is why, if I ever moved out of this neighborhood, I think I'd want to live in a house where I can't see or hear the neighbors. Just in case.

27 minutes ago, Zebra said:

If your kids were playing outside in your fenced in yard and some strange man walked in and started working with some sort of huge trimmer, that wouldn't bother you at all?

Because that surprises me, honestly.  

I must have missed where you said your kids were playing out in the yard.  That might make me a bit confused by the incident at first but not enough to think about it more than 'hmm, why are they in my yard.  oh they're trimming the neighbors hedges.  ok whatever.'  I certainly wouldn't have cared enough to mention anything to the workers or neighbor.

I would however, if I were in your neighbors position let my neighbor know we were having work done on the hedges and they might need access to that side.

56 minutes ago, hjffkj said:

I must have missed where you said your kids were playing out in the yard.  That might make me a bit confused by the incident at first but not enough to think about it more than 'hmm, why are they in my yard.  oh they're trimming the neighbors hedges.  ok whatever.'  I certainly wouldn't have cared enough to mention anything to the workers or neighbor.

I would however, if I were in your neighbors position let my neighbor know we were having work done on the hedges and they might need access to that side.

I didn't say my kids were in the yard.     I didn't ask for a JAWM, and I appreciate your opinion.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KungFuPanda said:

I was all “whatever” until they went through your perennial bed. That’s when they crossed from ill mannered to destructive. Perennials are expensive! 

yes, me too.  And that is why I mentioned that in my first post.  In my mind, I'm whatever at first because I just assume people genuinely mean no harm and just aren't thinking when making odd choices like going into my yard to get access to their yard.  And I can completely believe the neighbor didn't know the workers would go into OP's yard.

But the destruction of property is unacceptable and that is when I would have spoken up.

• Like 1

Oddly enough, as I was leaving to take dd to dance I noticed out trash can was in the neighbors yard and was really confused.  It was out because today was trash pickup day.  My assumption was that the workers taking a tree down at the neighbor across the street moved it so their trucks wouldn't be hiding it from the trash pick up people.  But in doing so, they moved it  into my next door neighbors yard. Now I'm paranoid that my neighbor is annoyed at me because our trash cans were in her yard.

• Haha 1

I'd make them fix the perennial bed.

and I'd also be glad they were picking up the stuff they trimmed off the neighbor's bushes.  My next door neighbor's workers threw the branches from *the neighbor's tree* over an arborvitae hedge into my yard.

Edited by gardenmom5

Totally needed permission and should have been respectful of your landscaping.  BASIC RESPECT.  Ultimately they meant no harm, but it is not mean/rude/overreaching/overbearing to establish boundaries when it comes to your property.  It can be done in a kind/loving way.  How your neighbors take it is up to them.

Power lines run near our property line and periodically the power company needs tohave trees trimmed.  The power company ALWAYS sends a letter or leaves a note in advance as well as the tree company, introducing themselves, letting us know they are doing work for the power company.  My DD had build a fort at the base of one of the trees, and they told me they would try not damage the fort but it may get damaged.  Basic respect even though they owed me nothing other than a knock on the door to inform me of the necessary work and show me their permit.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Lb20inblue said:

Wow. This is amazing.

Two years ago when I was on a trip to St. Louis, I got a cell phone call from a number I didn’t recognize.  It was the lady who owned the cabin kitty corner across the street from ours.  We were obviously not there—no lights on, no cars around—but she wanted to make sure that it was Ok to park in our driveway for a few hours while they cleared the 5 feet or so of snow off of theirs by hand.  I told her that of course she could use it, that there was no chance that either of us would be there for the next few days, and that she was wise to check, though, because I often arrive in the middle of the night.  I didn’t think twice about letting her use it, but I also didn’t think twice about her calling me in the first place instead of assuming.  It just seems so normal.

• Like 3

My neighbor decided to have a flag-football game partially in my backyard. I don't have a fence between my property and his, so I guess that means it's just communal or something?  He has several acres of land, but I guess that part of my backyard was more appealing for flag football. They didn't even invite us to come play!  

• Sad 1

Oh I would be very upset about that, especially tramping through the garden bed. Seems like a higher, lockable front fence is in order? You know what they say about good fences and neighbours... 

We moved away onto a fenced 20 acres, so our neighbours have to work pretty hard to annoy us 😄

Edited by LMD

12 hours ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Two years ago when I was on a trip to St. Louis, I got a cell phone call from a number I didn’t recognize.  It was the lady who owned the cabin kitty corner across the street from ours.  We were obviously not there—no lights on, no cars around—but she wanted to make sure that it was Ok to park in our driveway for a few hours while they cleared the 5 feet or so of snow off of theirs by hand.  I told her that of course she could use it, that there was no chance that either of us would be there for the next few days, and that she was wise to check, though, because I often arrive in the middle of the night.  I didn’t think twice about letting her use it, but I also didn’t think twice about her calling me in the first place instead of assuming.  It just seems so normal.

When our kids are home, we have several extra cars that don't all for on our driveway in a neighborhood who seems to believe cars shouldn't park in the street. We know our neighbor travels frequently and she will often call to let us know we can use her driveway if we need to. I will also call and ask if I think she's out of town. It's a win-win for both of us as it looks like there are people living in her house and it gets the extra cars off the street. I would never think to just park in her driveway without asking first.

We recently had a drain put in next to our house. The contractors asked if the neighbors were friendly, meaning would they be upset if some dirt or whatnot ended up in their property. (It would've been very difficult not to get on their property because the drain followed the property line.) The neighbors knew we were getting it done and it was no big deal. However, we talked to them about it first and, as it turned out, the contractors went over and talked to them, too. It's in everyone's best interest to communicate.

I'd be upset about people coming in my backyard without asking first. Part of it would be damage inside from my dogs going crazy (if I know in advance, I can control the dogs) and part of it is that they can't just do what they want on my property. I know they would ask first if the dogs were outside. There's no way anyone would be coming in the yard with 2 snarling dogs lunging at them. If they damaged my property, I would ask them to pay for repairs, especially if there was no need for the damage.

• Like 3

After growing up in the remodel/construction biz....this is my 2 cents.

Workers didn't ask, because you might have said no, which would have made their job hard.
Workers didn't ask, because they don't speak English.

Workers didn't ask, because they don't want you watching their every move (ie damaging perennial beds). BTW...I am totally this person.

Workers didn't ask, because they don't want to waste time chatting about what is being done.

Workers didn't ask, because you can hold them liable for damage, but if you don't see it happen, you may not realize it even occurred. 

A worker would have asked, to be polite and to have legal right of trespass.

The don'ts outweigh the dos.....so the don'ts win! Ask forgiveness.....not permission.  The neighbor should have asked. The owner or worker's should have asked but don't expect them too. Sorry, but in my experience it is just the way it goes down. 

Edited by Tap
  • Like 3

For perspective, in my little neck of the woods, we are responsible for both sides of our fence because it's inside our property line.  We are absolved from that on the back property line because they have fully enclosed their yard, and we have done ours.  (Before our fence was put up they had to open a door in their fence to weed whip on our side.🤣)  We are still obligated to maintain the fence line on either side of us, so whenever we mow the grass we have to weed whip on the other side of the fence line. For one neighbor that means a meandering walk across his yard, up his driveway and across the entire back yard to our fence line. 

I live in a suburb of a major city, and we have shared fencelines with our neighbors. Anytime I do anything or they do, we ask or inform each other.  We cooperate.  I ask permission to pour gallons of shrub killer over the fence to kill the poison ivy that my neighbor will not control.  (If it gets established behind my shed, coming from his side, I'm hosed; I'll never get it out.) We have offered to pay for the entirety of our fences, because that allows us to pick what we want: good cedar that we won't replace in our lifetimes. 

I'd be that neighbor that goes over and very nicely, says that you've been thinking about the situation that happened today, and could they, in all future situations, coordinate with you and let you know if they are planning to have workpeople on site who could ask permission to access your property.  They are not welcome unannounced, but if the neighbor will let you know, you can be prepared or make arrangements to allow them access.  Your yard is not available to them without notice. 

Good luck!!!

• Like 3

On 9/9/2020 at 12:47 PM, Zebra said:

On my way back to my house, the guys doing the work were dragging 3 wheelbarrows through my perennial filled front yard, to go pick up what they had cut.   We have a paved driveway and walkway that goes over there, but they chose to go right through the garden.   At this point, I don't even know what to do.   As I am walking into my house the guy in charge yells at me, "I guess I should have come and knocked on your door."   I said, "Yes, I guess you should have."   

I know none of this matters.   And I hate to be all "what has happened to common decency" but good grief.   Am I right or not?

You are 100% right. No question.

Them dragging wheelbarrows through my flowers would've had me running around like a lunatic screaming banshee.

On 9/9/2020 at 1:39 PM, vonfirmath said:

When we had our fence blow down in a incident that also destroyed our roof, and hired a new fence built, our next door neighbor got upset when they put boards for the fence on her yard. They were not there long enough to kill grass.

She seemed to think we needed her permission -- it honestly didn't even occur to me to ask. Our fence had blown down and it needed fixing so we were taking care of it.

The thing with the fence, I think, is that "they were not there long enough to kill the grass," but when the neighbor SAW them, she didn't know this. She didn't know anything. She just knew that these enormous slabs of wood had been put on her side of the yard, covering her grass, for whoeverknowshowlong. You knew the workers were supposed to be out ASAP (and, apparently, they WERE), but I've had numerous situations where the workers haven't shown up as expected, or it rained and rained and caused a delay. By then, she'd have had a huge rectangle of dead, muddy grass in her backyard.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 2:58 AM, easypeasy said:

The thing with the fence, I think, is that "they were not there long enough to kill the grass," but when the neighbor SAW them, she didn't know this. She didn't know anything. She just knew that these enormous slabs of wood had been put on her side of the yard, covering her grass, for whoeverknowshowlong. You knew the workers were supposed to be out ASAP (and, apparently, they WERE), but I've had numerous situations where the workers haven't shown up as expected, or it rained and rained and caused a delay. By then, she'd have had a huge rectangle of dead, muddy grass in her backyard.

Giving someone an idea of what to expect goes a very, very long way!  :-)