Jump to content

Menu

China and journalists


Recommended Posts

One of the Australian journalists for ABC was advised by diplomatic staff to leave China.  He then wasn’t allowed to leave the country and ended up in the Australian embassy for a week before he was allowed home. This comes a week after another Australian journalist working for a Chinese news agency was jailed . 

Because pre-covid I wasn’t really overly aware of Chinese Australian relations except in a vague background kind of way I don’t know how seriously to take these kind of events.  How do you interpret the ongoing issues with journalists leaving the country etc?  What does it mean for diplomatic relations between China and other countries?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been hearing pretty much all foreigners are being kicked out. If they are still there, they are being discriminated against. Businesses are being told not to serve them. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

China's been kicking journalists out for awhile. As far as diplomatic relationships go, it seems as though China is really pushing countries to want to cut ties. The U.S. has been trying to for awhile, and I saw that even European countries are starting to be done with their antics. 

Yes I’ve been watching.  This feels like an escalation because rather than kicking them out Chinese police apparently weren’t going to let them leave.  (As in Chinese police officers turned up to their leaving drinks at midnight) But you’re right it’s one more in a series of events.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Plum said:

I've been hearing pretty much all foreigners are being kicked out. If they are still there, they are being discriminated against. Businesses are being told not to serve them. 

I had heard about them being made to eat outside restaurants but didn’t know they were being made to leave outside the journalist situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Things between China and Australia have been "tense" since covid hit.  I dont' know how things were before.

 

We weren't deliberately antagonising them. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Things between China and Australia have been "tense" since covid hit.  I dont' know how things were before.

 

23 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

 

We weren't deliberately antagonising them. 

 

Because CV19 first appeared on the radar in China or because China was not very forthcoming with info to the rest of the world? I think China has had strained relationships with a lot of countries. Another poster said something about them making noise about taking Taiwan back; this would surely escalate things. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

 

 

Because CV19 first appeared on the radar in China or because China was not very forthcoming with info to the rest of the world? I think China has had strained relationships with a lot of countries. Another poster said something about them making noise about taking Taiwan back; this would surely escalate things. 

Well there has been a lot of trade decisions by China as well that seem to be politically motivated.  And the Hong Kong situation seems nasty.  But yeah I think Aus was one of the most vocal calling for an investigation into covid 19 which certainly upset things.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Taiwan issue is puzzling and a bit scary. Taiwan is acknowledged de facto as independent (The American Institute in Taiwan is commonly considered the equivalent of an embassy) but openly they cannot be recognized as the Republic of China versus the People's Republic of China. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

 

We weren't deliberately antagonising them. 

Please explain how you got the impression I suggested Australia was "deliberately antagonizing" them.  All I said was things were tense due to covid - based on a number of articles I've read.

A lot of countries have been angry with China for not being forthcoming about what they know and when they knew it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Please explain how you got the impression I suggested Australia was "deliberately antagonizing" them.  All I said was things were tense due to covid - based on a number of articles I've read.

A lot of countries have been angry with China for not being forthcoming about what they know and when they knew it.

I don’t think Rosie thought you were saying we were antagonising then I think she’s saying we are antagonising them because of the approach the government has taken toward the covid thing?  Anyway I didn’t really want to get political here I just wondered how dangerous a situation is when countries start kicking each other’s journalists out or imprisoning them?  Does that mean war is in the cards at some point or is it just a tit for tat thing that will die by itself?  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

 

It would also be a terrible idea because the U.S. would be likely to get involved due to our good relationship with Taiwan. China is likely flexing its muscles and trying to insulate its population from "evil" outside influences so that they don't get any ideas.

This is very much how I see China operating. A lot of veiled or not so veiled threats but I hope they think twice before doing something that can be interpreted as an overt aggression or war. 

Will check back on this discussion tomorrow - bedtime for me. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kdsuomi said:

 

It would also be a terrible idea because the U.S. would be likely to get involved due to our good relationship with Taiwan. China is likely flexing its muscles and trying to insulate its population from "evil" outside influences so that they don't get any ideas.

Yep.

although that wouldn’t necessarily be good news for Taiwan either way.  Things don’t always end well for countries caught in between a stoush between the super powers sadly.  However hopefully you are right and it’s more about insulating than overt aggression.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Liz CA said:

This is very much how I see China operating. A lot of veiled or not so veiled threats but I hope they think twice before doing something that can be interpreted as an overt aggression or war. 

Will check back on this discussion tomorrow - bedtime for me. 

Thanks for the input.  
i agree that makes sense.  The only situation I can see that changing is if thing were internally difficult or unstable enough that an external war seemed like a distraction?  Does that even make sense?  It doesn’t seem to be the way China operates but has certainly been a factor in other wars in history.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Please explain how you got the impression I suggested Australia was "deliberately antagonizing" them.  

 

I do not have the impression that you suggested the thing I said.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

 

I do not have the impression that you suggested the thing I said.

 

Please explain to me why you replied to my comment that Austraila wasn't antagonizing them. That was a direct quote to what you replied to me - so why did you say it?   I don't understand - and I'm trying to be more proactive in learning what my aspie brain doesn't understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

Please explain to me why you replied to my comment that Austraila wasn't antagonizing them. That was a direct quote to what you replied to me - so why did you say it?   I don't understand - and I'm trying to be more proactive in learning what my aspie brain doesn't understand.

 

You said you didn't know how Australia-Chinese relations were before Covid and I told you. What we weren't doing before Covid was deliberately antagonising them.
It's not an Aspie thing, it's just a misunderstanding thing that probably wouldn't have been as ambiguous if I'd bolded your second sentence.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kdsuomi said:

 

I'm thinking they're escalating because so many countries are trying to cut ties with them right now. The had the virus, Hong Kong, expelling a lot of foreigners, the Uyghur situation, increasing persecution of Christians, increasing talk of "taking back" Taiwan, possibly drowning its citizens because of the dam issue, increased events of China trying to bully its way to get things they want, and many more all at the same time.

Simply, lots of potential negative news to report. 
 

eta after reading all the way through, I can also see the C govt wanting to further isolate their own population. 

Edited by Seasider too
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...