Menu

Easy Grammar?

tdbates78

My 10 year old, 5th grade twins seem to require a certain amount of review in grammar. We've done BJU for a few years and now we are doing CLE and they are still struggling with retention. I was looking for something with a lot of review but I stumbled upon Easy Grammar in my research. and it looks interesting. I flipped through one of the workbooks at our local homeschool consignment store and I like that the lessons look short and to-the-point. And I'm intrigued by the idea of focusing on preposition and prepositional phrases before other parts of speech.  

I've seen it raved about on here a few times. Is Easy Grammar stand-alone? is it pretty comprehensive? Does it seem to help most children retain what they learn? It almost seems too "easy", at least in comparison to CLE Language Arts with its three or four pages of daily work. 

I would couple it with the companion product Daily Grams.  It does seem easy, but the private school where I taught used it, and our kids, even some with pretty serious learning issues, regularly scored in 99th percentile for grammar on standardized tests.  I think it's important to do diagramming at SOME point, but I really think a couple years here and there of Easy Grammar with Daily Grams is pretty awesome.  It's fast, especially once the prepositions are memorized, and kids do really seem to retain what they learn pretty well with it.  I think 5th grade could be an ideal time to do it, before doing a program with diagramming for a year or two in middle school.