Menu

The Covid killed my Drive!

KungFuPanda

It’s not about TeA and I don’t actually have the virus. Still, long-term quarantine has tanked my exercise routine. I really WANT to be a person who can MAKE herself exercise alone, but that is not my talent. When I’m not in isolation I’m spending at least 8 hours a week in a dance studio. I HAVE a home studio, so I can’t even use that as an excuse. I’m just such a social exerciser. (It also helps that they pay me.) 

I’m not sedentary. I garden and stuff, but those missing hours have resulted in weight gain, broken sleep, a sluggish digestive system, and a big fat attitude. I’m going to have to make myself pick up the pace, but I’m so bad at it. SO BAD. 

Is anyone else way off their game?

• Like 2

Double whammy: Virus restrictions + Ash and smoke from the california fires. I was going out to walk every day - not really rigorous, but, something to do in the fresh air and now we are locked inside because there is so much smoke in the air and it is too hot inside to use my treadmill etc etc. The sleep disturbance is the worst because it makes me so tired and cranky on top of everything else.

Edited by mathnerd
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Double whammy: Virus restrictions + Ash and smoke from the california fires. I was going out to walk every day - not really rigorous, but, something to do in the fresh air and now we are locked inside because there is so much smoke in the air and it is too hot inside to use my treadmill etc etc. The sleep disturbance is the worst because it makes me so tired and cranky on top of everything else.

I finally went for a walk earlier this evening.  First time in a couple of weeks because of that smoke.

• Like 3

I was trucking along fine til DD2 went away  to college. Since we've gotten back, I just glare at my exercise equipment and regime. I am *not* a social exerciser (someone might *look* at me!!! Aaack!!) but I am way off my routine for sure. 🥴 The scale and the fit of my favorite clothes are starting to show the results of my slothfulness, so I've got to flip a mental switch and get back to it - whether I want to, or not (and I don't... lol... but I guess I will tomorrow...) 😁

• Like 3

Wouldn't work for dance but one thing that has worked for me for the treadmill but mostly walking outside is that a friend and I walk and talk "together" ....even though I am in Michigan and she is in Georgia.   

A few nights a week we call each other and chat while we walk.  Yes, a older, fat lady walking down the road talking to herself (phone in pocket with headphones for talking) does look weird.  But we have really reconnected our friendship....as we haven't seen each other in person in 35+ years.

I will bike alone but hate walking or doing anything else alone....so this is motivating to me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

It’s not about TeA and I don’t actually have the virus. Still, long-term quarantine has tanked my exercise routine. I really WANT to be a person who can MAKE herself exercise alone, but that is not my talent. When I’m not in isolation I’m spending at least 8 hours a week in a dance studio. I HAVE a home studio, so I can’t even use that as an excuse. I’m just such a social exerciser. (It also helps that they pay me.) 

I’m not sedentary. I garden and stuff, but those missing hours have resulted in weight gain, broken sleep, a sluggish digestive system, and a big fat attitude. I’m going to have to make myself pick up the pace, but I’m so bad at it. SO BAD. 

Is anyone else way off their game?

I've never been much of a exerciser but I'm definitely feeling it in other ways.  I still cannot get to sleep before 2am... what is up with that?? It doesn't matter if I nap or not.. I have my two oldest grandkids today and I should help them with their virtual schooling.   It's going to be a long day.  Tonight I'm resorting to wine and an OTC sleeping pill.  blech.   

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Yep. I was able to work out outside yesterday because the smoke shifted. When I’m inside, I’m surrounded by the family in all their separate zooms, so I end up doing quieter stuff. My house is too small for indoor exercise!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ali in OR said:

Come join us on The Well-Trained Bodies thread. Reading what other people are doing for exercise may inspire you and it's a bit of a social outlet too. Lots of variety there, and everyone's welcome.

I might need to do that.  At this point I'll take any motivation I can get.  I don't care if it's camaraderie or guilt. 

9 hours ago, mathnerd said:

I'm a little miffed because sleeping has always been my superpower. It's  not weird for me to wake up to go to the bathroom, but to not go instantly back to sleep afterwards is just not what I do.  However, there I am reading for an hour or two before going back to sleep. Ugh.  Then I'm groggy the next day! It's weird and unproductive.

Sorry about all the smoke.  My only excuse is humidity.  Back in March when we got locked down I was doing regular walks with podcasts, but then it got SO hot and humid mid-summer that I punked out.  By the time I managed my garden I was drenched and done and didn't head back out for a walk.  

6 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Wouldn't work for dance but one thing that has worked for me for the treadmill but mostly walking outside is that a friend and I walk and talk "together" ....even though I am in Michigan and she is in Georgia.   

A few nights a week we call each other and chat while we walk.  Yes, a older, fat lady walking down the road talking to herself (phone in pocket with headphones for talking) does look weird.  But we have really reconnected our friendship....as we haven't seen each other in person in 35+ years.

I will bike alone but hate walking or doing anything else alone....so this is motivating to me.

I have a friend in the neighborhood I walk with.  We walked twice this week.  I should probably get it on the schedule regularly rather than doing it on a whim. This friend just entered a contest at work where they count the number of steps.  That seems to motivate her so maybe she'll drag me along.  I figure if I haven't purchased a fitbit on lockdown it's not really a thing I'm interested in, but I did download a running app so I could map out the perfect 3-mile route without a single extra step.  Here's to hoping the cooler weather gets my butt in gear.  I don't usually mind the heat, but our summer was hotter than usual for longer than usual.  

My 13yo is like that.  Pre-Covid, she was in sports daily, often 2-3 active sports activities in one day.  She ran races for fun and did pretty well, considering she wasn't a serious runner.  Actually she was the fastest runner in her school, and looking forward to her final season of middle school track.

Then she spent 4 months sitting in bed.  I tried so hard to get her to exercise, but she would barely do the minimum to fill out her PE chart for school.  She needs to be on a team or in a competition in order to be motivated to move.  Slowly things started opening up and I pushed her back into them.

Once I learned she could return to team sports, she was so far off her game and she hated it.  She was slow and got injured repeatedly.  I finally let her quit cross country (she is still doing soccer, TKD, and marching band), but not before she ran her first race and came in with her worst time ever.

I hate Covid!

12 hours ago, Ottakee said:

I love this idea so much! My best friend just relocated to another city. We used to workout or walk together 5 days/week and now it‘s zero. 😭 I can keep myself motivated to get up and move without her, but I miss her and this is the perfect way for us to keep in touch. I already texted her and worked it out. Thanks for sharing!

2 hours ago, Sara in AZ said:

I love this idea so much! My best friend just relocated to another city. We used to workout or walk together 5 days/week and now it‘s zero. 😭 I can keep myself motivated to get up and move without her, but I miss her and this is the perfect way for us to keep in touch. I already texted her and worked it out. Thanks for sharing!

That is great.   It makes it much more motivating to exercise and we get to connect .