Menu

Oatmeal recipe that's a hit

Katy

For the past few days I've been making oatmeal for breakfast, and to my surprise everyone in the family likes it. It's really easy, just 1/4 c dry oatmeal for the little kids, 1/2 c for the ones with adult appetites, cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice, diced apples (ambrosia and honeycrisp), and water, brought to a low boil until the oatmeal is soft. Dish into bowls, top each bowl with a handful of pecans and a tiny swirl of maple syrup.  Everyone loves it.  I can't think of a single other recipe every person in the family loves.  Apparently the LOOK of a bit of maple syrup makes everyone think decadent, even though it's far less in quantity than I would typically add to pancakes, etc.  And they were all full until lunch.  No one bugged me for snacks this morning.

Just sharing in case you're starting to have chilly mornings too.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Terabith said:

Sigh.  I really should eat oatmeal to lower cholesterol, but I HATE OATMEAL.  Like, I don't think there's any way you can make it palatable.  

I take that back.  If you put it in chocolate cake, maybe.  Maybe.  

Taste?  Texture?  If it's taste, I often make savoury oatmeal: ratatouille oatmeal works particularly well as does mushroom oatmeal.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Rosie_0801 said:

Yeah. It's surprisingly good with curry. 

Oh! I learned about these oat noodles this week! Maybe that is what you need @Terabith!

Oats are traditionally used in Scottish cooking (because they grow well here) as a thickener in soups, stews, etc, like this one: https://hamlynsoats.co.uk/recipes/boyndie-broth-oatmeal-soup/

And of course there's my beloved Marmite Oatcakes

https://lashesoflifestyle.co.uk/recipe-marmite-oatcakes/

And Cranachan (although that won't help anyone's cholesterol)

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/cranachan

Personally, I drink oatmilk.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Terabith said:

Sigh.  I really should eat oatmeal to lower cholesterol, but I HATE OATMEAL.  Like, I don't think there's any way you can make it palatable.  

I’m there with you. When I was a kid I liked it, and everyone else in my house now likes it and requests it, but just bleh. I make it for them, then eat something else myself.

In our house everybody likes oatmeal until one day, no. DH makes one big pot at a time and so when the ride turns I'm left with leftover cooked oatmeal. In case this ever happens to you, here is my leftover oatmeal cookie recipe: 😄

2 c. Flour

2 t. Baking powder

1/2 t. Cinnamon

1/2 t. Salt

Combine these dry ingredients

1/2 c. Butter

1/2 c. Brown sugar

2 eggs

1/2 t. Almond extract

Beat these until smooth

2 c. Leftover oatmeal

Mix in to liquids

Add flour mixture

Scoop onto baking sheet, 12-15 @ 350°

1/2 c. Butter

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Seasider too said:

Do y’all remember years ago a scandal broke that Taco Bell was cutting its taco meat with oatmeal? Way back then I found a recipe that included it, and it was pretty good. Couldn’t even taste the oatmeal. 

Interesting.  I've used TVP, but never heard of oatmeal.

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I think it’s the texture.  Actually, savory might be far more palatable.  

For fimer (and in my opinion better) oatmeal, cut back on the amount of water used and make sure the water is at a boil before adding the oats.

If you like it mushy do the opposite.

Bill

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Taste?  Texture?  If it's taste, I often make savoury oatmeal: ratatouille oatmeal works particularly well as does mushroom oatmeal.

I've never heard of that with oatmeal.....  I don't care for it overly sweet either.  How would you make ratatouille oatmeal?

I was going to ask the same question OP, so glad you asked this!  I really like oatmeal, although I'm kind of lazy first thing in the morning and don't like it very sweet.

I just make it on the stove with water, and then let it sit for 30 minutes.  I like it once the top firms up but the bottom is nice and creamy, and amazingly, it tends to hold in the heat even after 30 minutes.  (I leave it on the stove top.)  I usually add raw unsalted almonds and berries if I have them, and maybe just a drizzle of honey.  I've thought about adding orange zest -- I think that would be great!  Sometimes I add unsweetened coconut flakes.

The best oatmeal I've ever had was campfire oatmeal.  I set the pan with oatmeal and water in smoldering embers.  It sat there for 30 minutes at least, and was the creamiest, most delicious oatmeal I've ever had.  I added fresh blueberries and a drizzle of maple syrup.  

My bil makes it with unsweetened cocoa powder, and adds banana slices at the end.  That's good too!

• Like 1

On 9/2/2020 at 10:02 PM, Terabith said:

Do you like smoothies? You can mix oat flour into smoothies and just drink your daily serving. My go to smoothie is milk, yogurt, banana, oat flour, and peanut butter. I’m not a fan of eating in the morning and this gives me more nutrition than a cup of tea. 

11 hours ago, rjand6more said:

My favorite way to make oatmeal is in the rice cooker. Texture is perfect.  No boil over mess.  I put it in. 14 minutes later(while I'm running around doing morning chores) it's done.

We serve it with mini chocolate chips and coconut.

I’ve done this with grits. Have you ever set the timer to have it cook in the morning? I wonder if that could work. 

I really like banana walnut oatmeal. I have a crockpot recipe that uses steel cut oats and cooks overnight. DS loves peaches and cream. That would be good now with all the fresh peaches, but frozen works too.

I prefer steel cut for a meal because you stay full forever. I use the rolled oats in smoothies and on fruit crisps. 

4 hours ago, J-rap said:

I've never heard of that with oatmeal.....  I don't care for it overly sweet either.  How would you make ratatouille oatmeal?

I make a basic ratatouille then add oatmeal and vegetable stock - in proportions suggested on the oat packet. Simmer until cooked. 

• Like 1

Omg, your oatmeal sounds delicious. I usually do oatmeal and one cup blueberries over 1/2 cup up honeycrisp and 1/2 vanilla yogurt. It's really good.

But I'm going to try your idea minus the pecans (calories). I might try a smiden of maple syrup. I love your idea of putting in pumpkin pie spice and cinnamon! Yum!

Thanks for this great recipe!

W.

Yum. That's very similar to how I make it, but I do half lowfat milk and half water.

In the summer, we usually do peaches or berries instead of applies, but added at the end. I nearly always do walnuts instead of pecans, but sometimes I do pecans. It's true - the drizzle of maple syrup makes it extra yummy and feels decadent even though it's less sugars than in most other sweet side breakfasts.

One of my boys won't eat it though! It is the texture. I've tried making his more soupy and more al dente, but it doesn't matter. He likes all the ingredients (he'll eat things made of oat flour or eat oatmeal cookies and the like) but he can't stand the oatmeal.