Menu

PSAT PSA

I don't have a kid in the PSAT game this year, but I'm hearing from our local area that at least some of our public schools are refusing to let homeschool students take the PSAT with their students. 
Problem is that according the Section Section 29.916 of the Texas Education Code requires that public schools allow homeschooled students who reside in their district to take the PSAT with their students (also at the same cost).  But the schools don't want anyone who is not a student inside their building during this time. 

Some of these schools are also testing centers for the SAT and ACT. And - at least to my knowledge - the school does not control who can/can't take the test there, you select your favorite testing location when you sign up to take the test.  So, if they are testing centers, they have to allow the potential for non-students to come into their building to take the test. 

So, if I had a junior, I'd definitely be calling around to confirm a testing location. And if I were in Texas, I'd be calling the superintendent of my local ISD, and if I didn't get satisfaction there, I'd be moving up the chain of command. 

BTW, PSAT also added a new January date

• Primary test day: Wednesday, October 14, 2020
  • Saturday test day: October 17, 2020
  • Alternate test day: Thursday, October 29, 2020 (formerly October 28)
  • NEW test day: Tuesday, January 26, 2021

https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/psat-nmsqt-psat-10/k12-educators/psat-nmsqt-dates

Edited by Bambam
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I've been dealing with this issue this week. We made a last minute switch to homeschooling, and I was assuming our neighborhood school (where she has attended the past two years, will take two classes as a homeschooler,  and where her homeschooled sister took the PSAT without issue) would host her for the PSAT. As it stands now though, they are switching to the January date and uncertain about whether they will be able to accommodate outside students. It's understandable, but puts me in a tough spot, as I think she is a (borderline) candidate for National Merit.

We did find a private school willing to take her. A friend is the principal which may have helped, but they said they are accustomed to taking homeschoolers. I'd suggest people contact private schools in their area.

• Like 1

I am also in Texas, and my local high school is refusing to allow homeschoolers to take AP tests at their school this year. Which, according to the same education code, they can't legally do. But they are. So I would recommend people double-check that the school they thought their kid was taking an AP test at will still let them. Any homeschoolers with plans to take an AP test in my district will have a fight on their hands this fall; thankfully no one in my family has any plans to take one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our local high school, which is fairly homeschool friendly, in Massachusetts said they are not giving the PSAT this year due to state and local restrictions. She told me to keep watching the College Board website for a virtual option. This was from head of guidance department, I'm wondering if I should ask the superintendent about it bc I know other towns in my area are giving it. Has anyone else heard news about a virtual PSAT?