Menu

Physics Quest registration open - free experiment kit

The 2020 Physics Quest is open for registrations.

This is a free kit for homeschoolers as well as schools. It usually takes them several months to assemble and mail out kits, so they may not arrive until perhaps next spring, but they are really nice. We've gotten them for the past four years and are looking to this year's installment! Some household items may be needed, but the kits usually have most needed items. I think I heard about it first here on the boards some years ago.

They are usually geared to about middle school level, but younger/older students can also participate.

Here is a link to previous years' activity guides. They are not normally available, but this year they are open to the public due to Covid and related school closures. Sometimes it is possible to buy previous year kits, too, as supplies last.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

23 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

The 2020 Physics Quest is open for registrations.

This is a free kit for homeschoolers as well as schools. It usually takes them several months to assemble and mail out kits, so they may not arrive until perhaps next spring, but they are really nice. We've gotten them for the past four years and are looking to this year's installment! Some household items may be needed, but the kits usually have most needed items. I think I heard about it first here on the boards some years ago.

They are usually geared to about middle school level, but younger/older students can also participate.

Here is a link to previous years' activity guides. They are not normally available, but this year they are open to the public due to Covid and related school closures. Sometimes it is possible to buy previous year kits, too, as supplies last.

I filled out the survey at the link you posted.  It said that I would be notified by email if I am to receive kits, but it never asked for my email address.  Is there something else I need to complete?  It looks wonderful!  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mom2mthj said:

I filled out the survey at the link you posted.  It said that I would be notified by email if I am to receive kits, but it never asked for my email address.  Is there something else I need to complete?  It looks wonderful!  Thanks for posting.

I am not sure about the email address. In the past, I have not received any confirmation that my registration was received, but the kits still came. There is no schedule that I am aware of for mailing them out - I guess it depends on the number of volunteers they may have available to put boxes together and mail them out. Here is the link to the top of the page where the button to register is rather than the direct link to the form as before:

https://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/physicsquest/index.cfm

I can now see teacher's guides and explanations for all experiments in the 2020 kit. So they are still usable even if the kit doesn't come. It doesn't look like any materials should be difficult to find, but the guides/background teaching look great and detailed! In the past four years that we have received the kits, the most potentially difficult thing to find (that was included) was a piece of about 3 inch square red filter plastic, something that would block a certain type of light like a little LED bulb.

They put a lot of time working on the activity guides (I'm in no way affiliated). For example, for the pendulum activity there are links at the bottom that can be used to adapt the material to younger kids as well as high school students: https://www.physicscentral.com/experiment/physicsquest/swinging-objects.cfm

I hope this will help someone even if they don't receive a kit (but I hope that everybody does!)

• Thanks 1