Menu

For fun: Frivolous purchases that make you happy

MEmama

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

Which Soda Stream brand do you recommend?

Great idea for water!!

W.

We got the Soda Stream One Touch, and like it a lot. My in-laws tried the one that doesn't require electricity and weren't happy with it at all, so I'm glad we went with the upgrade.

• Like 1

I bought a new folder (binder) for the literature module I am doing in January.  I took a textbook out of the university library and I'll start to make notes and put them in my folder.  I'm ridiculously pleased with all this. 

Oh, and on the same trip I bought myself a new candle: https://skyecandles.co.uk/collections/all/products/sr-tc-cr

and lit it to do a good strength yoga practice this evening: https://youtu.be/9kOCY0KNByw

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, MrsMommy said:

We got the Soda Stream One Touch, and like it a lot. My in-laws tried the one that doesn't require electricity and weren't happy with it at all, so I'm glad we went with the upgrade.

I have the no-electricity one and am really happy with it, however.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

LOVE this thread.

Best new purchase is this hummingbird feeder. Put it out and they will come. Best $33 I've ever spent on the Entertainment budget line item.  Hours and hours of unbound delight.

Best re-discovered old purchase is an old Soda Stream, that my then 10-year-old begged for before he went off to summer camp. It's sat unused in the basement ever since. COVID precipitated its rescue. SO GREAT.  We just use it to make seltzer, into which I put slices of lemon or lime or cucumber. SO GREAT and no plastic to the landfills.

• Like 8

I’ve enjoyed this thread!

I have made several frivolous purchases this week.  One is also much, much more spendy than I am wont to make, but I am justifying it by the fact that 1.) I sold a bunch of furniture and odds’n’ends after our recent move, so I had the cash in hand and 2.) I don’t buy new purses/bags often, and this is something I’ve wanted for a while.  The purchase?  A Growley leather bag.  I’m doubly tickled because this is a shop owned by a homeschooling family in south Alabama.  This is the bag I ordered. It’s on its way to me!  https://www.growleyleather.com/collections/totes-handbags/products/magnolia-bag

The other two frivolous purchases are for new cross-stitch/blackwork projects.

I purchased the floss and Aida for the Peppermint Purple Stitch Along (on FB). 

Then tonight I purchased the Turkish Tiles Stitch Along pattern. https://peppermintpurple.com/products/turkish-tiles-stitch-a-long

I also took my boys to the library today (our library is open by appointmeont only for the purpose of social distancing).  I checked out several books for myself and even got to read about 50 pages in one of them this evening.  That felt luxurious! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

LOVE this thread.

Best new purchase is this hummingbird feeder. Put it out and they will come. Best $33 I've ever spent on the Entertainment budget line item.  Hours and hours of unbound delight.

Best re-discovered old purchase is an old Soda Stream, that my then 10-year-old begged for before he went off to summer camp. It's sat unused in the basement ever since. COVID precipitated its rescue. SO GREAT.  We just use it to make seltzer, into which I put slices of lemon or lime or cucumber. SO GREAT and no plastic to the landfills.

i  am still trying to attract little birds to my feeders at the new house.  The feeders have been up for a month and I  rarely  get a visitor.  I'm hoping that they will find us when winter comes.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

LOVE this thread.

The hummingbird feeder is gorgeous!

We only get hummingbirds at my house for a week or so in the spring when the azaleas bloom, and then just occasionally (if lucky) in late summer. This year we've seen exactly two. I would splurge on a beautiful feeder if they would visit, though. Hummies are a favorite (my kitties love to watch them from inside too). ❤️

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

I’ve enjoyed this thread!

I have made several frivolous purchases this week.  One is also much, much more spendy than I am wont to make, but I am justifying it by the fact that 1.) I sold a bunch of furniture and odds’n’ends after our recent move, so I had the cash in hand and 2.) I don’t buy new purses/bags often, and this is something I’ve wanted for a while.  The purchase?  A Growley leather bag.  I’m doubly tickled because this is a shop owned by a homeschooling family in south Alabama.  This is the bag I ordered. It’s on its way to me!  https://www.growleyleather.com/collections/totes-handbags/products/magnolia-bag

The other two frivolous purchases are for new cross-stitch/blackwork projects.

I purchased the floss and Aida for the Peppermint Purple Stitch Along (on FB). 

Then tonight I purchased the Turkish Tiles Stitch Along pattern. https://peppermintpurple.com/products/turkish-tiles-stitch-a-long

I also took my boys to the library today (our library is open by appointmeont only for the purpose of social distancing).  I checked out several books for myself and even got to read about 50 pages in one of them this evening.  That felt luxurious! 

Wow that bag is stunning! 😍

• Like 3

re hummingbirds

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

i  am still trying to attract little birds to my feeders at the new house.  The feeders have been up for a month and I  rarely  get a visitor.  I'm hoping that they will find us when winter comes.

That's so weird. I think you've said before you're sort of north-ish Scotland, but even so I'd expect winters to be milder (if darker) there than here. Are there hummingbirds elsewhere, just not in your new yard?  Are there flowering plants in the yard that otherwise attract them?

Before I put the feeder out, I'd only see them vanishingly rarely, usually around buddleia or petunias. And I tried once years ago to put a feeder out in a sort of woodland shaded sitting area, and that didn't attract many and was a pain to refill. But this time I put it right in the sun adjacent to my patio, and within a day of putting it out I had one curious scout investigating, and within a week I had a whole flock. So they obviously were OUT there, I just wasn't seeing them. Now that they have a central focal spot, we're able to see them better from their perches in the surrounding trees and bushes.  

They are AWESOME. We have several different colors and personalities, including one who is under the VERY WRONG impression that the feeder is his own personal property, who tries (by perching atop the shepherd's hood from which the feeder suspends) to guard it and dive-bomb anyone else who tries to come use it.  I sit here every morning with my coffee and gratitude journal and enjoy the drama.

(I've named both the individual who believes he's Above The Law, and the shepherd's hook itself, but sadly that will have to remain over on the Politics board, LOL).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

re hummingbirds

That's so weird. I think you've said before you're sort of north-ish Scotland, but even so I'd expect winters to be milder (if darker) there than here. Are there hummingbirds elsewhere, just not in your new yard?  Are there flowering plants in the yard that otherwise attract them?

Before I put the feeder out, I'd only see them vanishingly rarely, usually around buddleia or petunias. And I tried once years ago to put a feeder out in a sort of woodland shaded sitting area, and that didn't attract many and was a pain to refill. But this time I put it right in the sun adjacent to my patio, and within a day of putting it out I had one curious scout investigating, and within a week I had a whole flock. So they obviously were OUT there, I just wasn't seeing them. Now that they have a central focal spot, we're able to see them better from their perches in the surrounding trees and bushes.  

They are AWESOME. We have several different colors and personalities, including one who is under the VERY WRONG impression that the feeder is his own personal property, who tries (by perching atop the shepherd's hood from which the feeder suspends) to guard it and dive-bomb anyone else who tries to come use it.  I sit here every morning with my coffee and gratitude journal and enjoy the drama.

(I've named both the individual who believes he's Above The Law, and the shepherd's hook itself, but sadly that will have to remain over on the Politics board, LOL).

Ok, you convinced me. I just ordered the feeder! It was that or the luscious bag lol. 
Here’s hoping for more hummingbirds next year! 🙂  (and if they still don’t come, at least I’ll have something extra pretty to admire on the feeder stand)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, MEmama said:

Ok, you convinced me. I just ordered the feeder! It was that or the luscious bag lol. 
Here’s hoping for more hummingbirds next year! 🙂  (and if they still don’t come, at least I’ll have something extra pretty to admire on the feeder stand)

If you feed them, they will come.  They're definitely in Maine. My parents-in-law had an ancestral home in Old Orchard that was ringed with different species of hydrangea, in bloom from July-October; and the hummingbirds  circled about constantly.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

I really miss the birds we saw at our old house. We had a year round variety plus winter visitors. Part of the issue here is that it's new construction and they've been chased away. I've seem some mockingbirds and crows or crow-like birds. I did see a caracara fly over once but that's not the kind of bird I want to attract. 😄 

I"m holding off on adding a feeder until the rainy season ends around late October-early November. It's so hard not to get moldy birdseed in summer. We're not far from a wetlands wildlife refuge so I'm hoping once we start putting out birdseed they'll find us. I also plan to plant a few natives that will attract them.

Hummingbird feeders are also difficult here because of the heat and humidity. I did have a native flowering bush at out other house that brought both hummingbirds and butterflies.

Anyway, this is way off topic. I can bring it back by saying I want to get a bird feeder pole soon so I'm ready for snowbird season (real snowbirds, not the human kind. 🙂 )

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/1/2020 at 11:50 AM, MEmama said:

Oooohhhhh....Holiday elves are listening...I think DS would love one of these in his stocking this year. 

I just got a CamelCamel alert I wanted to let you and @Lady Florida. know that the Rotring 600 mechanical pencil mentioned upthread is now on sale at Amazon for $14.44.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZWYUA4?tag=camelalerts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

To own a useful (frivolous) item that inspires "pride of ownership" for under $15? Do your holiday shopping early.

For big-spenders, there is a Rotring 800 (with a retractable tip--the vulnerable part when dropping these heavy brass mechanical pencils) that often runs $60 (yes $60) is on sale now for $23.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AZWNS84?tag=camelalerts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US

Bill

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

I started buying Tretorn Tennis shoes, which I loved as a teen, a couple of years ago. They're comfortable, but, more importantly, I grin every time I see them. I just ordered these. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082V4BKXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh those are cute! I'm too tall to want any more height added though. I bet DD15 would like them. 

You did remind me that I forgot to post my new shoe addiction too. I have never been into shoes, but then last year I fell in love with Lucky Brand Emmie ballet flats and Blowfish sneakers, and I now have an embarrassing number of each. The patterns of the Blowfish are so much fun. The cactus is my favorite. 

On 9/1/2020 at 6:44 PM, WoolC said:

I impulsively bought a ukulele at the start of quarantine and I’ve learned to play The Beatles and Jack Johnson songs over the past few months.  Huge stress reliever and so much fun!

I've been thinking about buying a uke to start playing but I'm a true beginner. Do you have any recommendations on a good first instrument? I'm hoping I can start and then maybe one of the kiddos will be inspired. HA!

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 7:41 PM, mumto2 said:

Dd and I have gotten hooked on “fancy” fizzy water.  We are working our way through all the La Croix flavors that we can source right now. Currently drinking mango flavored fizzy......love it!

I have always enjoyed buying fabric for my quilting but normally like a bargain.  I have been ordering fabric just because it’s pretty lately ........it cheers me up for days.  Not a ton of fabric but something special every month or so.   I have also been buying more kindle books than normal.......I am a library kind of gal but have decided my kindle needs to have more of my favorites availiable without a wait.  So I have been buying books I have enjoyed greatly that happen to be on sale along with the normal purchase of books that my library doesn’t carry.

Do you have a Wegman's near you? Try their flavored sparkling waters.  The flavors are bright and loud (but in the best way).  The absolute best sparkling water is the Trader Joe's Green Apple sparkling water.  It is only around in the fall-early winter.  If you like Granny Smith apples, you will adore this.  It has the appley essence PLUS the bitter tang of the skin all in one drink!  

I purchased the 12 Days of Beauty at Xmas time from TJ's but I haven't used it yet.

I just got a surprisingly good balconette bra from Amazon.  Not as good as the Polish bras that @Bagels McGruffikin likes (me too!) but at $18 very supportive and cute!

Edited by YaelAldrich
additions, additions.
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

Do you have a Wegman's near you.  try their flavored sparkling waters.  The flavors are bright and loud (but in the best way).  

Unfortunately no Wegman’s!  Btw, the Sam’s Club fizzy is not great......actually more like diet fruit soda.

1 hour ago, dmmetler said:

I started buying Tretorn Tennis shoes, which I loved as a teen, a couple of years ago. They're comfortable, but, more importantly, I grin every time I see them. I just ordered these. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B082V4BKXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, I wore Tretorns! I remember having a pair that had a pink plaid Tretorn symbol. I loved them.  Too bad I have super picky feet now. 

ETA: how’s the heel padding on those platform style Tretorns? I might be able to get by with a pair if it’s substantial.  I have plantar fasciitis and have to be very careful about my shoes. 

Edited by hopeistheword

On 9/1/2020 at 9:24 PM, Carol in Cal. said:

--A headlamp for running or woodsy hikes that run late.  Super stoked about this as I have stumbled home in the dark too frequently for complete comfort.  Not to mention safety.

Update:  I LOVE MY HEADLAMP!  I've never had one before.  I used it intermittently for the couple days that our local utility turned off our power for safety reasons.  It was so nice to be able to go outside and turn off the generator late at night without needing to carry along a big flashlight, and also I avoided having the generator on as much because I could use it quite a bit in the house.  And since it has a chargeable battery, I was not worried about running out of AA's.  Unfortunately it has been too smokey to go for serious runs outside in the late evening as I love to do, but that's what I really bought it for--as a backup if I misjudge the speed of dusk turning into night, as sometimes happens--or to have along on a hike just in case.

• Like 3

On 9/1/2020 at 11:16 AM, Selkie said:

More houseplants, which are the last things I need but I did it anyway.

A staghorn fern, a pilea, a goldfish plant, a calathea, a Moonshine sanesevieria, and a couple pretty topiaries (ivy and santolina).

Me too. Except outdoor plants...and now I am concerned with all the smoke we are having from the fires around us. I got a "Little John" and a "Big John" bottlebrush shrubs. Love their look and the big bonus is they attract hummingbirds. Little John is a dwarf variety while Big John is regular and can get huge if not pruned back.

• Like 1

These were more of a splurge, but I suddenly wanted dungarees.  The last time I had them was when I was pregnant.  I now feel slim enough and confident enough in my body to feel cool rather than frumpy in them.  And they come in 'long' too - I'm not tall but I have disproportionately long legs.  This is a company that does a lot of things right:

https://lucyandyak.com/collections/all-dungarees/products/erro-heavy-twill-original-dungarees-in-black?variant=32666905116775

https://lucyandyak.com/pages/our-story

• Like 5

19 hours ago, importswim said:

I've been thinking about buying a uke to start playing but I'm a true beginner. Do you have any recommendations on a good first instrument? I'm hoping I can start and then maybe one of the kiddos will be inspired. HA!

I'm actually researching now trying to figure out my next ukulele. 

I purchased this one https://www.amazon.com/Ukulele-Beginner-Mahogany-Hawaiian-Instruction/dp/B076KFB49J/ref=sr_1_5?crid=11KRH3FJBMG4Y&dchild=1&keywords=kmise+ukulele+soprano&qid=1600204058&sprefix=kmise+uku%2Caps%2C225&sr=8-5 and I would say it has been excellent for the price.  It has some nice features that more expensive models don't include like closed gear tuners and the strap button.  It definitely sounds like a real instrument and not a toy.  I did buy it on a whim though and I had no clue how much I would love playing.  In hindsight, I probably should have spent a bit more upfront to get something nicer.  If you're not sure if you will play long term I'd say the kmise would be a great low risk choice.

I'm looking at concert size Kala and Cordoba ukes now for a step up but they are still considered beginner ukuleles.

https://www.amazon.com/Cordoba-Guitars-15CM-Ukulele-Concert/dp/B0041OT5MU/ref=pd_lpo_267_t_0/145-4387666-6134618?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B0041OT5MU&pd_rd_r=e079e85f-13c5-4f1c-ab1a-cea068d8018b&pd_rd_w=IyVkc&pd_rd_wg=p1ReC&pf_rd_p=7b36d496-f366-4631-94d3-61b87b52511b&pf_rd_r=2VDF4HWMRMA6DDE2F665&psc=1&refRID=2VDF4HWMRMA6DDE2F665

https://www.amazon.com/Kala-KA-15-Concert-Ukulele-Bundle/dp/B07NDPYTWY/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3I6GTUPZ19LJP&dchild=1&keywords=kala+mahogany+concert+ukulele&qid=1600204520&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=kala+mah%2Cmi%2C159&sr=1-4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hopeistheword said:

Oh, I wore Tretorns! I remember having a pair that had a pink plaid Tretorn symbol. I loved them.  Too bad I have super picky feet now. 

ETA: how’s the heel padding on those platform style Tretorns? I might be able to get by with a pair if it’s substantial.  I have plantar fasciitis and have to be very careful about my shoes. 

I am finding them very comfortable, more so than the regular ones. And, at just over 5 ft, the extra inch or so is nice 🙂

• Like 1

22 hours ago, importswim said:

In June I bought a Kala K-15s, which is a soprano at the cheap end of the Kala ukulele line. I like it a lot, and it cost something like $55. It definitely has a better sound than the ukuleles I bought for my kids, a Diamondhead and Mitchell, also sopranos, and it had a slightly better sound than the Makala dolphin, which is aLso made by Kala and commonly recommended to beginners. The Dolphin comes in a lot more colors, though.

If you can get to a music store and try some in person, it would probably help. You can buy what sounds best to you, and try out different sizes. Even though I couldn’t play a bit when I bought mine, the guy at the music store was nice enough to play a sample on a couple of different ukuleles for me. But I know some of the other guys at that store wouldn’t have been able to because they don’t play ukulele. I could still hear a difference just plucking strings, though.

• Thanks 1

Speaking of Ukes, I have purchased 4 in the past 6 months, though only 2 were for me.  😄  During quarantine, the kids and I had ukulele sing-along time every day and that made me so happy!  My most recent and frivolous uke purchase was a Waterman concert, which I am hoping to bring along on a backpacking trip with dd14 and her Scout troop.  It has a decent enough sound, though not as warm as a wood instrument.  My primary uke is a concert Cordoba.  Not fancy but a nice little instrument.

My other frivolous purchase was a set of flower buttons from Etsy to replace the buttons on a jacket I bought for $1.25 at a consignment sale.  

9941DAC6-D483-493D-80E4-BDD2D9DD20F6.jpeg

• Like 8

On 9/2/2020 at 12:52 PM, emba56 said:

I bought myself one for my birthday this summer! It seemed totally frivolous at the time, but really, I get so much enjoyment out of it, and it has gotten two of my kids more interested in learning to play music, so I don’t even classify it as frivolous now. Frivolous would probably be the second ukulele I’m planning to buy soon. . .

On 9/2/2020 at 2:08 PM, WoolC said:

I hesitated to post it as a frivolous purchase for the same reason.  I’ve asked dh for a second ukulele for my birthday coming up.  Addictive little instruments aren’t they?! 😂

I bought my dh a ukulele for Christmas last year and he loves it!

On 9/2/2020 at 7:18 PM, City Mouse said:

I have my eye on a special advent calendar that I want, but I’m not going to share the link because I don’t want it to sell out before I get around to ordering it.

After you buy it, let us know what it was!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was never a girly-girl as a kid. For example, I never thought about my wedding day (ever!) and I never played princess. I wasn’t a tomboy either. I was just a nerdy kid who always had her nose buried in a book.

Then I grew up and felt like I was too old for lots of pink, girly stuff.

But this year, I’ve decided to finally have fun with pink, girly stuff.  

I painted my bathroom pale pink and put up a pink shower curtain and ordered these prints of pink roses to hang on the wall: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07SZ9LVDK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also needed a new phone cover, so I ordered one with a lot of pink on it:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBY6V6J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And I went to the thrift store and bought myself a bunch of pink shirts.

Also, I’ve bought myself a few children’s picture books, just because I like the illustrations.  The books I’ve bought are:

Fables, by Arnold Lobel

The Gashlycrumb Tinies, by Gorey

The Complete Brambly Hedge, by Jill Barklem 

Snow White, by Josephine Poole.  

It seems like so much! The books and clothes were all second-hand so not that much.  The biggest expense was the bathroom. The paint in there was  at least 17 years old (when we bought the house), so it was time for a little update.  

• Like 6

On 9/2/2020 at 6:18 PM, City Mouse said:

I like to buy Sentsy wax. I know the Walmart stuff is much cheaper, but there is something about Sentsy.

i have my eye on a special advent calendar that I want, but I’m not going to share the link because I don’t want it to sell out before I get around to ordering it.

We grew up with chocolate advent calendars, but because we expected them, they stopped being a treat. We just sort of took them for granted.

I'm hoping to get my kids, or at least my younger kids, paper advent calendars with glitter for this year. Those are the special ones in our house, LOL.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 4:37 PM, Garga said:

I bought my dh a ukulele for Christmas last year and he loves it!

After you buy it, let us know what it was!

I don't know what kind of advent calendar you are looking for, but I just read that aldi is coming out with 20 different kinds of advent calendars this year starting November 4th.  

Wine

Beer

Hard seltzer 

Cheese 

Chocolate 

Books. Disney or marvel 

Toys several of these.   Hot wheels, barbie, little people,  paw patrol 

Coffee 

Craft

Sparkling?    

Irish country creame 

Candle

Edited by mommyoffive
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

Do you favor a certain brand? I was at a thrift store this afternoon and was happy to find and then buy two Root candles.

Regards,

Kareni

I was outside a Bath and Body works while waiting for DD and thought about going in. However, there was a dollar store next door so I figured I’d rather have ten candles than one. 🤣 I don’t even know the brands I purchased and you can’t really smell them in the store while masked. Usually I have them all over the house but I must have used them all up while we’ve been stuck at home. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

there was a dollar store next door so I figured I’d rather have ten candles than one. 🤣

I can definitely appreciate a bargain!

15 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

you can’t really smell them in the store while masked.

I was noticing the same thing today. It's frustrating.

Enjoy your new candles! I'll probably give the ones I found to my husband come Christmas.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I just ordered a pastry cutter, dough/bowl scraper, and a zester.  

I can't tell you how excited I am to not cut in butter with two knives, plus to no longer mince fresh ginger by hand. I have no idea why it's taken this long to take the plunge...🤔

ETA: full disclosure - I have been (re)binging Great British Baking Show these past two weeks. 

Edited by alisoncooks
  • Like 3

I bought nail polish from Olive and June. I actually have very nicely shaped, strong nails but I rarely pain them and never get a manicure. But I've decided it might be nice to have polished nails. Kinda girly, fun and I've got time to put on a new top coat every 2 or 3 days to maintain. 

• Like 2

On 9/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, MEmama said:

Have you made any purchases lately that are *just for you* or that you didn’t necessarily need but make you ridiculously happy? 

Books.  Always books.  I have so many books that are waiting to be read, the floor might cave in!

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Denise Still in Florida said:

Starbucks.  Yes, I am a stereotypical old lady that loves cats and coffee. LOL

Speaking of which, my other frivolous adventure this year was taking in a little black rescue kitten. Really, I don't know how anyone has survived 2020 without a kitten. 🙂

We have a black kitten that we tell people that we grew from scratch. LOL Actually, we took in a pregnant stray and kept her and one of the kittens. Kittens have been the best mental health soothers for 2020. I found so much joy watching the two kittens grow and play and still continue to find joy in the one we kept. She is a complete goofball. The best kind, I think.

• Like 4