Menu

For fun: Frivolous purchases that make you happy

MEmama

1 hour ago, Math teacher said:

Sour candy. I know it sounds crazy. I'm not a little kid anymore. Remember Smarties? They come in a jumbo size at the dollar store and I just put the last one in my mouth.

Last year I bought myself a big bucket of banana flavored Laffy Taffy.  

I'm super tempted to buy a new purse.  Definitely don't need one but I'm on the eternal quest for the perfect purse.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Dd and I have gotten hooked on “fancy” fizzy water.  We are working our way through all the La Croix flavors that we can source right now. Currently drinking mango flavored fizzy......love it!

So, what are your favorites so far?  My favorites are key lime and peach-pear, although limoncello is growing on me.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spy Car said:

Essential repertoire. The whippersnappers on this forum would never believe what a huge hit this was in 1968.

Bill

I sure remember him performing on TV in the 60's!  And all my kids know of him because I made them listen to this song more than once.  🙂 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, MEmama said:

I’m loving all these happy things! 🙂 

Mine is a new pair of Dr. Martens boots.

I bought my first pair when I was 16; I remember all the details of buying them. At the time they weren’t available in my town, and there were only a couple shops in San Francisco that carried them. I drove down to the city with my boyfriend, tried them on and pretty much didn’t take them off until my early 20's. I don’t remember why I ever got rid of them, but I recently decided I needed a pair back in my life. My feet feel like they’ve come home. Lol. 🙂 

96E67AB7-FE78-4CE1-9CFA-07B860379480.jpeg

Do these run big/small, narrow/wide.  My daughter wants a pair for school but she's not patient about trying on a few different sizes to find a good fit.    

Multiple colors of this nightgown.  It's SO flattering and comfortable, and even after being laundered on the sanitize cycle it didn't shrink enough to matter.  https://www.amazon.com/Avidlove-Sleepwear-Nightgown-Racerback-Sleeveless/dp/B07KQTYL3X?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Knockoff hydroflask style water bottles for everyone in the house.  That straw is SO nice, it makes water taste better, and we've all been drinking more of it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S35HRGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My dream designer handbag, secondhand from a Fashionphile sale.  And vintage Bottega Veneta and Lancel bags from ebay.  I stalked PurseForum to make sure the ebay purchase wasn't fake.  I haven't taken them anywhere because the only place I go is grocery pickup, but I love that I have them.  For a while I worried it was an excessive waste of money, but then I realized collecting handmade purses is much cheaper than DH's hobbies.  There's something so lovely about carrying a work of art.

Art.  Oil paintings and oriental rugs, mostly from estate sales.  The last day, the last 2 hours will get some amazing deals.  I've also (rarely) found designer clothes and shoes there that fit me. Sure, I didn't need a secondhand pair of Chloe Lauren flats, but they are pretty and comfortable.  And at $3, much cheaper than the Nordstrom sale.  I feel a bit proud of myself every time I see them.

Edited by Katy
grammar
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Terabith said:

So, what are your favorites so far?  My favorites are key lime and peach-pear, although limoncello is growing on me.  

Key Lime is awesome......it’s our favorite!  Grapefruit (Pamplemousse) is a close second.  We haven’t tried peach-pear but we will now be hunting for it!  My least favorite was the watermelon.  Which one is your least favorite?

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Key Lime is awesome......it’s our favorite!  Grapefruit (Pamplemousse) is a close second.  We haven’t tried peach-pear but we will now be hunting for it!  My least favorite was the watermelon.  Which one is your least favorite?

I hate hibiscus.  It tastes like purfume smells.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Tarte mascara, recommended here!!! It's wonderful stuff, but I admit I especially like the packaging: a purple glitter faux leather tube. 🙂 

I have trouble splurging on myself, even though my DH doesn't mind a bit. I blame my frugal upbringing and maybe my OCD. But you guys are inspiring me! 

God has "richly given us all things to enjoy." 🙂 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

What kind of plant would you get for a bathroom that wouldn't get any sunshine?  (Or maybe your bathroom has windows?)

Pothos can survive in a bathroom with no windows, it can thrive on artificial lighting. When I was working, there were pots of pothos in the office pantry, in ladies restrooms and in many engineers’ cubicles. My husband’s colleague has one at his cubicle.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Arcadia said:

Pothos can survive in a bathroom with no windows, it can thrive on artificial lighting. When I was working, there were pots of pothos in the office pantry, in ladies restrooms and in many engineers’ cubicles. My husband’s colleague has one at his cubicle.

Thanks!  I had to look up that name, but it does seem like a fairly common-looking plant, now that I see it.

48 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

Grapefruit is excellent.  Really, I like all the citrus flavors.  

The worst is coconut, hands down.  Smells and tastes like sunscreen.  I took one sip, made everyone in the house try it, and after it was established we all hated it, I poured the can down the drain and donated the rest of the pack to the colab (group offices) where my husband worked at the time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I bought some fun Halloween cocktail napkins at TJ Maxx.  I've got hours to kill when I take my son to community college in the next county over, so I'm trying to enjoyably kill time without spending money.  The cocktail napkins cost less than $2.00, and I also bought a bottle of EVOO for $4 (reduced to clear.). Those were two little things that made me happy.  Oh, and two packages of tissues at Target in a square box with a mushroom print on it.   🍄

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katy said:

I hate hibiscus.  It tastes like purfume smells.

33 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Grapefruit is excellent.  Really, I like all the citrus flavors.  

The worst is coconut, hands down.  Smells and tastes like sunscreen.  I took one sip, made everyone in the house try it, and after it was established we all hated it, I poured the can down the drain and donated the rest of the pack to the colab (group offices) where my husband worked at the time.  

Dd and I just tried that one and we thought it smelled sort of like fruit punch.......I thought that was why the can has it Hi-biscus with the Hi separated.  Sort of a Hi C reference, maybe.  I wonder why we didn’t think it smelled like perfume......I was so expecting it to......we bought it in a variety pack from Sam’s.  

The coconut is one we haven’t tried because Dh hates the smell of coconut and I was worried that it would bother him.  There are so many flavors to try before.  I plan to order Tangerine next.

1 minute ago, mumto2 said:

Dd and I just tried that one and we thought it smelled sort of like fruit punch.......I thought that was why the can has it Hi-biscus with the Hi separated.  Sort of a Hi C reference, maybe.  I wonder why we didn’t think it smelled like perfume......I was so expecting it to......we bought it in a variety pack from Sam’s.  

The coconut is one we haven’t tried because Dh hates the smell of coconut and I was worried that it would bother him.  There are so many flavors to try before.  I plan to order Tangerine next.

Tangerine is really good.  

I have not tried hi-biscus, because I don't like the way the flowers smell, so I figure I wouldn't like it.  Watermelon was drinkable but not my favorite.  I didn't like mango or apricot, but they were just "not my favorite" rather than "heck no, I am not going to drink the rest of these."

• Like 1

I am seriously considering buying some of the new Pampered Chef stoneware, that can be preheated and put in the dishwasher unlike their old line.  But I am holding out for when they add glaze to the outside so it's truly oven to table (attractive, IOW.)  Love my stoneware and this would be even better.

On order now from the REI sale: 

--Leather work gloves for running the snow blower this winter and moving firewood.  Alert readers will note that this purchase pretty much guarantees a warm, snow free winter.  Sorry.  The upcoming drought is All. My. Fault.

--A headlamp for running or woodsy hikes that run late.  Super stoked about this as I have stumbled home in the dark too frequently for complete comfort.  Not to mention safety.

--A Lifestraw water bottle.  In theory you put stream water in and as you drink it it self-filters.  As someone who never can have too much water on a hike, this is awesome.  Even works on Gaurdia, our local bane.

--Leki fitness walking tips for my hiking poles, suggested by someone here.  

--Altra gaiters, which I BADLY need

And in hand:

A pomegranate juicer!!!  SO EXCITED!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Terabith said:

Tangerine is really good.  

I have not tried hi-biscus, because I don't like the way the flowers smell, so I figure I wouldn't like it.  Watermelon was drinkable but not my favorite.  I didn't like mango or apricot, but they were just "not my favorite" rather than "heck no, I am not going to drink the rest of these."

Dd has volunteered to finish any flavors that don’t appeal to me as long as they aren’t really bad. 😉.  We haven’t had really bad yet....watermelon was more of a why bother when there are better flavors.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Katy said:

Knockoff hydroflask style water bottles for everyone in the house.  That straw is SO nice, it makes water taste better, and we've all been drinking more of it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07S35HRGL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you need to tip back your head to drink, or does the straw go all the way to the bottom? I  need something that I can sip from when I have to go back to the office, without removing my mask.

9 hours ago, lynn said:

Do these run big/small, narrow/wide.  My daughter wants a pair for school but she's not patient about trying on a few different sizes to find a good fit.    

I find them true to size and width. This is the style I bought: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IJNKYE2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I wanted the classic 1460s but couldn’t find them in my size. But reviews about this slight variation, which has softer leather and no stitching along the top hem of the boot, mentioned how much easier they are to break in (Docs are notorious for their break in period) so I decided to try them instead. LOVE. For me, they were comfortable as soon as I put them on. I wear either a 7 or 7.5 and the 7 fits perfectly. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Laura Corin said:

Do you need to tip back your head to drink, or does the straw go all the way to the bottom? I  need something that I can sip from when I have to go back to the office, without removing my mask.

The straw goes all the way to the bottom! 

• Thanks 1

About fizzy drinks, my favorite La Croix flavors have always been Key Lime and Pamplemousse (I just love that word, LOL), and someone in my family likes just about every flavor (even coconut, shudder!). But we recently discovered Waterloo brand Grape and OMG how much we absolutely LOVE that flavor... It's hard to find around here though. I've got four boxes coming today for an Amazon Prime Now delivery and it's kind of silly how excited I am. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I almost never buy myself anything that isn't a need, but in the past, I bought a lot of international music CDs which continue to make me happy.  🙂

My birthday is next month, and I plan to buy myself an acoustic guitar and some classical music lesson books.  Hopefully I will get time to use them before the next birthday.  Not like the fitdesk I bought one year and had in pieces until like 2 birthdays later.  😛

Generally, the thing I like best is order, which requires me to have less, not more, stuff.  So I actually get more happiness out of NOT buying things - and purging, which is a whole euphoria.  😛

• Like 8

17 hours ago, WoolC said:

I impulsively bought a ukulele at the start of quarantine and I’ve learned to play The Beatles and Jack Johnson songs over the past few months.  Huge stress reliever and so much fun!

I bought myself one for my birthday this summer! It seemed totally frivolous at the time, but really, I get so much enjoyment out of it, and it has gotten two of my kids more interested in learning to play music, so I don’t even classify it as frivolous now. Frivolous would probably be the second ukulele I’m planning to buy soon. . .

• Like 3

1 hour ago, emba56 said:

I bought myself one for my birthday this summer! It seemed totally frivolous at the time, but really, I get so much enjoyment out of it, and it has gotten two of my kids more interested in learning to play music, so I don’t even classify it as frivolous now. Frivolous would probably be the second ukulele I’m planning to buy soon. . .

I hesitated to post it as a frivolous purchase for the same reason.  I’ve asked dh for a second ukulele for my birthday coming up.  Addictive little instruments aren’t they?! 😂

• Like 1

Hair/scalp massagers for the whole family. DD has super thick hair and isn't all that great about scrubbing her scalp so it sometimes it still dirty even though her hair is clean, do I looked for one for her and when I saw how cute they were I bought one for each of us

Camelbak drying hooks because I was tired of youtube-ing a cheap solution that barely works.

19 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Dd and I have gotten hooked on “fancy” fizzy water.  We are working our way through all the La Croix flavors that we can source right now. Currently drinking mango flavored fizzy......love it!

I'm usually not a fan of fizzy water. Either give me soda or give me plain water. However, I bought some Market Pantry (Target brand) carbonated water the other day and really like it. I don't know if it was the flavors they put in front - strawberry lemonade, peach mango - or the 65 cent price, but it was an impulse buy that ended up being a win. I'm sure I'll buy it again.

• Like 2

I decided in these odd times to tackle a large quilt project. A kind I have never done before (English paper piecing). One that is completely sewn by hand. I love that. The quiet time for contemplation as each piece is sewn really appeals to be right now so I spent the money to get the templates, paper pieces, and pattern. This may take years but slow and steady is what I need right. La Passacaglia quilt, here I come. Hopefully, a splurge well spent.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Arcadia said:

This is what I have in my bathroom. 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I'm usually not a fan of fizzy water. Either give me soda or give me plain water. However, I bought some Market Pantry (Target brand) carbonated water the other day and really like it. I don't know if it was the flavors they put in front - strawberry lemonade, peach mango - or the 65 cent price, but it was an impulse buy that ended up being a win. I'm sure I'll buy it again.

That’s how our love of flavored fizzy started.😉Then Dh ordered  some lime La Croix at Publix as a treat because he couldn’t get the less expensive kind.  Well, our shopper messed up and gave us Key Lime .......which actually smells like Key Lime Pie. I feel a bit like I have had a piece of my favorite pie with no calories!  We were hooked...if we had been given plain lime we may never have developed this habit.  We did order a couple new to us brands from Sam’s the other day to try.  We like the Bubbly brand too.........when price is close La Croix simply smells better.   

• Like 4

1 hour ago, stephanier.1765 said:

I decided in these odd times to tackle a large quilt project. A kind I have never done before (English paper piecing). One that is completely sewn by hand. I love that. The quiet time for contemplation as each piece is sewn really appeals to be right now so I spent the money to get the templates, paper pieces, and pattern. This may take years but slow and steady is what I need right. La Passacaglia quilt, here I come. Hopefully, a splurge well spent.

La Passacaglia Quilts are incredible!  I love EPP and have dreamed of making a proper one.  You are going to have such a wonderful time and if you save the papers you can use them again.  Make sure you post occasional pictures on the craft thread.

I did make the easy one with the hexagons that are sewn together a couple of years ago.  I haven’t managed to finish quilting it.  Maybe later this fall it when the weather is a bit cooler..............finishing is was supposed to be my stay a home entertainment back when I thought we were in for a month or two!  On of my fabric splurges was a pretty jelly roll to play with a Lucy Boston quilt....in pinks.  It will make a beautiful baby quilt.....not quite sure how much it will make.

• Like 1

I like to buy Sentsy wax. I know the Walmart stuff is much cheaper, but there is something about Sentsy.

i have my eye on a special advent calendar that I want, but I’m not going to share the link because I don’t want it to sell out before I get around to ordering it.

Not exactly frivolous, but I used the SBA disaster loan I got to buy a Braille “toy” to use with my students. I would not have asked the school district to purchase something so expensive, but we love it. It is a lot of fun. (I teach Braille to visually impaired students) 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mumto2 said:

La Passacaglia Quilts are incredible!  I love EPP and have dreamed of making a proper one.  You are going to have such a wonderful time and if you save the papers you can use them again.  Make sure you post occasional pictures on the craft thread.

I did make the easy one with the hexagons that are sewn together a couple of years ago.  I haven’t managed to finish quilting it.  Maybe later this fall it when the weather is a bit cooler..............finishing is was supposed to be my stay a home entertainment back when I thought we were in for a month or two!  On of my fabric splurges was a pretty jelly roll to play with a Lucy Boston quilt....in pinks.  It will make a beautiful baby quilt.....not quite sure how much it will make.

A pink Lucy Boston quilt is going to be stunning! Please share it when it's done. I love oogling other folks quilting projects.

I don't like doing the quilting part in warm weather either. Quilting and any yarn projects are saved for the cooler months, unless they are small and won't lie in my lap while I'm working on them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

@stephanier.1765  I saw this Millefiori post today and thought of your quilt,  not sure if you follow Wendy so thought I would share.. https://wendysquiltsandmore.blogspot.com/2020/09/la-passacaglia-trip-down-memory-lane.html  I went for the bright colors but her mum’s quilt is so pretty!

Thank you so much for sharing this! I haven't received my supplies or book yet but I've been doing a lot of reading and oggling online to gather as much knowledge and inspiration as I can before I start. I'm finding I'm drawn to the brighter fabrics too. I ought to use blue as my inspiration as she did with hers since my room is blue but my creative side wants to have fun with this and use fabrics I love or even find funny. Tula Pink accidentally made a raccoon bum in her quilt and that cracks me up. That's the kind of fun I want to have with mine. Not necessarily a raccoon bum, though. 🤣

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 4:00 PM, MrsMommy said:

A Soda Stream...I don't care about soda, but I love carbonated water, and now I can make it whenever I want!

Some cool beaded bracelets that have a stone made with earth from the shore of Lake Michigan...if I can't travel, at least I can have a little bit of one of my favorite places with me!

Which Soda Stream brand do you recommend?

Great idea for water!!

W.

• Like 1