Menu

Accountability Thread 8/30-9/5

Uh...evening? I almost forgot to get this set up today. We had family over and celebrated the squash harvest, although the flint corn and watermelons made an appearance. Other than that, we didn't do much today. It takes quite a bit of the day to get everything fixed up for visitors, but everyone had a good safe time, all distanced and masked, and it was a lot of fun.

Tomorrow? I have no clue. Probably get off to a late start. I didn't get all the school stuff prepped today! 

• Like 2

Morning. As expected, got off to a slow start, but the day is moving forward.

Today's tasks:

House: chores, bed, bath

School: usual (my printer isn't talking to the laptop this morning, so wrote it up by hand)

Cooking: Chicken, mashed potatoes, pan sauce, broccoli

Writing: Continue revision of the story for September, finish up the short story from last week and let it rest, personal reading, beta reading, critique work. 

Art: sketching for September starts tomorrow. Have all pencils and paper ready to go. 

• Like 1

Morning. More rain. Creek is already full, but I don't think we'll flood today.

House: dishes, laundry, cat boxes, kitchen

School: usual, fall planning continues

Cooking: leftovers

Writing: Reading my novel in preparation to start drafting again this weekend, work on the synopsis to send to my CPs, work on short story, personal reading, Beta reading.

Art: Sketching a succulent plant today. Did the planning this morning.

• Like 2

Afternoon!  We are keeping our heads above water here.  The fires are coming under control and also the air quality is getting better in fits & bursts the last couple of days: thank goodness for the firefighters.  

For rest of day: piano/music, math + languages, run errands.  Fitness for boys, fitness for me, date night with DH (will be takeout at the kitchen table whilst the boys play Minecraft downstairs), cleaning, planning. 

Edited by serendipitous journey
  • Like 1

Morning! I'm working tomorrow, so today is for getting a couple of day's worth of stuff done.

House: chores, sweeping, possibly some mopping in select areas that need it.

School: short day

Cooking: leftovers, make lunch for tomorrow

Writing: Got a contest event today, reading my novel for drafting to start this coming week, Beta reading, personal reading

Art: two pieces, one watercolor (I think), the other, colored graphite.

• Like 1

Morning!  Today's most important tasks are

1. (me) plans for our next term: get a full sketch/rough draft, Bible  (ETA: write math folks RE standards for written work; set up writing binder)
  2. (boys) language work, music practice + theory, math + English, reading, memory work
  3. house: really engage cleaning/organizing, list of containers/storage to scrounge
  4. fitness all around: me, boys
  5. feed us!  dinner: honey-mustard chicken legs, salad and veggies, something carby: roast potatoes, probably.
  6. ETA: and, a biggie: order reading glasses.  My optometrist isn't open these days, and my eyes are fussy (read: TERRIBLE vision and weirdly shaped eyeballs). 
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Critterfixer said:

Evening. Baked apples sound divine. ..

They would have been!  Oh my, it hit the fan yesterday afternoon, DH was doing all kinds of surgery on the 'fridge, and we sat down to cornmeal biscuits and a grilled chicken leg or two each.  Didn't even get the salad done!  just passed baby carrots & clementines around and filled up with popcorn later.  Oh my. 

Today: finish up the week's list.  Hit fitness bases for me.  Various events have set that back a bit so my goal this coming week is just to do about 1/8 of my target stuff in yoga, strength, and aerobics to help keep my mental/physical systems functional.  Hit nutritional bases, order vitamins for everybody -- we usually just rely on eating well, but multivitamins seem a good idea for the next few months. 

Plan school.  !!!

The biggie this weekend is that I need to start managing the food for my MIL, who just isn't able to feed herself well anymore.  I think that maybe ideally we would invite her down (she lives in an "in-law apartmemt" upstairs) to have lunch with us while we do our art-viewing and read, but that may be really disruptive to our school which, let's be frank, isn't the easiest right now anyhow.  On the other hand, there isn't much that's more important than taking good care of the old folks.  And on the third hand, having his mother around at lunchtime every day might drive DH bonkers.  Interesting conundrum. 

So for this week I'd like to have a plan for her breakfast & lunches, I think she eats veggies and proteins for dinner.  And if she doesn't do her own dinners well this week we'll add them next week.  She has a bundle of food troubles so I'll go for a soup of homemade chicken broth, coconut milk, ginger & sweet potato: that's lunch.  For her gut biome a little bit of gluten-free grains or legumes would be good, so probably just puree a little bit of beans to thicken the soup without causing her tummy trouble, and get my hands on some pears for her, and order millet and broad-grain flour.  Black rice pudding with coconut milk, make the coconut milk a cinnamon & vanilla broth so that it tastes different than her lunch soup: that's breakfast.  

Lamb & turkey don't mess with her stomach at all and she has some frozen lamb.  So we can grill that up for her to have on hand at dinner time and we need to buy more this week.

Then I need to organize younger boy's lunch & breakfast to up nutrition and open-and-go-ness.  My goal for this week will be to pack one make-ahead lunch for him and for me, and to include some legumes most days.  Or at least engage the legume thing. 

Okay.  Critterfixer, I do not think you can imagine how grateful I am for this space to freak out & then think things through and come up with a plan!  esp. because DH really, really does not need to hear all my mental processing right now. 

Hugs to all y'all out there.  

ETA: notes to self: next week's short list.

• keep up the languages, music practice, reading, grammar, art & math. 
  • food: include legumes, order stuff for MIL, pack a lunch, try breakfast + lunch packs for MIL.
  • add theory for music; memory work including physical sciences; word study + spelling; for elder Logic + writing + more math
  • have reading/literature list for week

• Like 1

Here's my favorite baked apple recipe from Epicurious.  I don't think anybody needs this recipe, y'all probably have your own baked apple thing going, but it makes me feel happy to post something yummy today!  🙂 

• 8 large Golden Delicious apples
  • 1/2 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 6 tablespoons pure maple syrup
  • 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup water
  • Chilled whipping cream (optional)
  1. Peel skin off top quarter of each apple. Using melon baller, scoop out core, leaving bottom intact. Stand apples in 13x9x2-inch baking pan. Mix sugar and spices in bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons mixture. Fill apple cavities with remaining sugar mixture. Spoon 1/2 tablespoon maple syrup into each cavity. Scatter 3 tablespoons butter pieces over apples. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; chill.)
  2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Pour 1/2 cup water into pan with apples. Bake apples 35 minutes.
  3. Add reserved 2 tablespoons sugar mixture, 2 tablespoons maple syrup, 1 tablespoon butter, and 1/2 cup water to pan. Bake until apples are tender when pierced with skewer, about 25 minutes longer.
  4. Transfer apples to 8 bowls. Place baking pan atop 2 burners; boil over medium-high heat until syrupy, about 2 minutes. Spoon sauce over apples. Serve with whipping cream, if desired.
  • Like 1