Menu

Talk to me about Twilight! What did you think of this series?

My dd loves these books, but they have provided tons of material for discussions on relationships and s*x. I would read them first. They are easy reads and only you know your child, and how much she can handle.

(I have been amazed at the youngs girls 10-11 I meet that are reading these books. I always ask the moms if they have read them, and they never have.)

I read the first 3 and really enjoy them for bubble gum fun read. I didn't read the 4th because the reviews were awful. However, I really don't think I'd let my kids read them; not until later teen years at least. They are heavy on the sexuality and desire side of things. I can't remember when it starts but she's often begging him to ... well, you know. He's the one saying no.

My DD, 14, has read all the books. I just finished reading all the books and there is only one part in book 4 that I had issues with....and it wasn't the island, it was what happened in Carlisle's office for those of you that have read the book.

I would suggest that you read the books first....all of them. As another poster said, they will open the door for discussion on appropriate and inappropriate behavior. I have told my DD that mortal 17yo boys DO NOT have the self-control of an 108yo vampire ;). I was VERY impressed with how well Ms. Meyers wrote a romance without all the explict "details" found in so many of today's romances.

Someone mentioned the sensual nature of the books. I myself was asked by another mom, who was reading Twilight and commented on the "steamy" scene, what I thought about it. I personally did not find it to be "steamy". I think there has to be some knowledge of what "steamy" is for a teen to find it "steamy". Just my opinion....feel free to discard.:)

My friend who is a prof at Wheaton College wrote a review for The Gospel and Culture Project. Obviously CC. Here is the link: http://www.gospelandculture.org/2008/11/vampires-and-young-female-desire/

This is a review for the final book in the series Breaking Dawn.

Gently saying.....I'm sorry, but I find this to be an incomplete and inaccurate review of the book. It makes me wonder if she (the reviewer) really read the whole book (or series) or if she just skimmed them. She has some of the story presented accurately, but the rest of it....I have to wonder if she read the same book I did???:confused:

This is a review for the final book in the series Breaking Dawn.

Gently saying.....I'm sorry, but I find this to be an incomplete and inaccurate review of the book. It makes me wonder if she (the reviewer) really read the whole book (or series) or if she just skimmed them. She has some of the story presented accurately, but the rest of it....I have to wonder if she read the same book I did???:confused:

You are correct that this is specific to the 4th book, but she addresses all of the books in the process. I haven't read them, so I can't personally speak to who accurately assesses the storyline, but I can say that she has a PhD and has written extensively about gender roles. She would NEVER write a professional review after just skimming a book. Perhaps you and she just come to these books from a different worldview and therefore interepret things differently. :)

Edited by Gailmegan
typo

My friend who is a prof at Wheaton College wrote a review for The Gospel and Culture Project. Obviously CC. Here is the link: http://www.gospelandculture.org/2008/11/vampires-and-young-female-desire/

...review. I'm glad you posted it.

I hadn't thought about some of the issues in those terms...but many of her points make sense to me.

I'm not one to censor reading all that much, usually...but for some reason this series bothers me a little (even though I picked up the first book in a bookstore and sat there for I don't know how long because I could. not. put. it down. Or...maybe it's because of that, lol.) We've asked dd to hold off on reading them. (She asked, first.)

I think there are pros and cons to the series, like any series of books. Nothing stupendiously redeeming about them, lol...but they aren't graphic or terribly lewd, if you're looking for a 'cleaner' alternative to romance novels.

(JMO)