Menu

Anybody else worried about the PSAT this fall?

I have talked to the guidance counselor at our local ps and DD is on their list and they have ordered her a test for their Oct 14 test date. But the school closed this week for having someone test + for covid and although they say it's a temporary closure I'm skeptical. What happens if the school closes? Will they still give the test? Will the counselor bother to keep me in the loop?

Ack! This is stressful.

All of my local high schools are online for Fall and the only local center that is tentatively hosting is only hosting their students as they are at full capacity due to social distancing requirements. I don’t expect to be able to find anywhere to test for PSAT for DS15 (junior) as my county is still dealing with COVID and wildfires simultaneously. I’m not as worried as we aren’t hoping for scholarship money for either child. DS15 is signed up November SAT but I am doubtful that it would take place. 

Yep. We've been turned down at two private schools already. Both are generally very homeschool friendly but aren't allowing any visitors on campus right now. 

Fortunately dd is only a sophomore but she's hoping to qualify for National Merit next year and wanted the practice.

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

and the only local center that is tentatively hosting is only hosting their students as they are at full capacity due to social distancing requirements

20 minutes ago, PeachyDoodle said:

Yep. We've been turned down at two private schools already. Both are generally very homeschool friendly but aren't allowing any visitors on campus right now. 

This is what concerns me. We are a small school system (less than 400 in the whole high school) and I know the counselor personally and she's been super helpful and accommodating so far. But I'm worried they'll boot DD out and won't tell me.

I'm trying to decide if I plow on ahead as if she's going to be able to take the test no matter what and just have her show up on the tesy date or if I should call and ask the counselor. I'm kinda paranoid that if I call to ask it will put the idea into her head that she could turn us down ...

She could possibly qualify for NM, but probably wouldn't use it to get a free ride anywhere. If she ends up going to college at all (right now she wants to go straight into missionary work after graduation) it will be at the local Uni and she would only get $1000 max if she qualified. But I really want her to practice before the real SAT. 

DD is scheduled for the September SAT and our district is online only. I’m not terribly worried. She is testing at her high school. All students will be masked and the school is massive. They can easily accommodate a handful of students in each classroom for testing.

Edited by Sneezyone
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Momto6inIN said:

This is what concerns me. We are a small school system (less than 400 in the whole high school) and I know the counselor personally and she's been super helpful and accommodating so far. But I'm worried they'll boot DD out and won't tell me.

Our high school is bigger but not by a whole lot. We haven't called them yet because we haven't had good experiences trying to work with them before and now they are in chaos due to Covid. We do have dd scheduled to take the AP exam this spring at one of the private schools. I have not pressed the issue with the coordinator there, even though they won't let her take the PSAT this fall. I'm hoping that either things will be a heck of a lot better by May, or they'll let her come anyway since she's registered.

• Like 1

Remember that if you are worried about qualifying for NM, there is an alternate route to qualify with SAT (or maybe ACT scores now) if, for some reason out of your control, your student can't take the PSAT.

If you just want practice for the SAT, there are printable practice SATs on Khan Academy.

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Remember that if you are worried about qualifying for NM, there is an alternate route to qualify with SAT (or maybe ACT scores now) if, for some reason out of your control, your student can't take the PSAT.

If you just want practice for the SAT, there are printable practice SATs on Khan Academy.

I did not know about an alternate route, thanks!

She's done practice tests at home with a test prep book, but I wanted her to do "the real experience" since the last standardized test she took in a public school was the 3rd grade 🙂

Unable to Take the PSAT/NMSQT?
If you do not take the 2020 PSAT/NMSQT because of illness, an emergency, or other extenuating circumstance, you may still be able to enter the 2022 National Merit Scholarship Program. To request information about another route of entry after the Fall 2020 PSAT/NMSQT administration, write to NMSC as soon as possible but no later than April 1, 2021. The alternate entry request should include your name and home address, the contact information of the person making the request, the name and address of your high school, and a brief explanation of why you missed the test. Do not delay; the earlier you write, the more options you will have for scheduling test dates. 
Mail your request to:
National Merit Scholarship Corporation 
Attn: Scholarship Administration
1560 Sherman Avenue, Suite 200
Evanston, IL 60201-4897
Your letter must be postmarked on or before April 1, 2021, for your request to be considered

• Like 2