Menu

What to do with hamburger for supper?

fairfarmhand

3 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

Chili, beef stroganoff, taco meat, spaghetti, shepherds pie, keema, etc?

Keema is seriously always a hit, either over potatoes or rice.

I just googled to see what keema is, and it looks delicious!  Do you have a preferred recipe for making it?

2 minutes ago, Bagels McGruffikin said:

@domestic_engineer I do, but I can’t remember where I found it, it’s been too many years. Let me link a similar one:

https://dailycookingquest.com/indian-keema-ground-beef-curry.html

Like this, but I usually add in 1/2 tsp cinnamon too, and toss in extra tomatoes and peas to stretch it further. It’s amenable to a bag of frozen spinach hidden in it as well, super flexible!

Thanks!!!   After clicking on your link, I realized that one of my mom's homemade creations is similar to this .... but much simpler.  haha.  Like making taco meat but with Curry powder instead of the taco seasoning.  We also throw in some peas and sometimes, diced potatoes, to stretch it.  We serve it inside a pita pocket.  It's also always a winner too, especially when I remember to salt the thing. 😄

I had ground beef and broccoli slaw stir fry for lunch.  I brown the beef and while it’s draining I sauté the broccoli slaw in sesame oil with a bit of ginger and garlic.  Add the beef back in and squirt a bit of Bragg’s liquid aminos or soy sauce in.   You could eat it over rice, but I’m on a low carb diet so I just eat it alone.  I do have to fight 2 of the kids for my fair portion, though.  It’s one of two recipes I can make with broccoli in them that my 9yo will eat; the other is broccoli cheese soup.

• Like 2

The other night I had this same issue, and google led me to "hamburger gravy" which is sort of deconstructed swedish meatballs and gravy. Super easy, and we served it with mashed potatoes but would be good with noddles, rice, etc. Add a veggie and you are good. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

The other night I had this same issue, and google led me to "hamburger gravy" which is sort of deconstructed swedish meatballs and gravy. Super easy, and we served it with mashed potatoes but would be good with noddles, rice, etc. Add a veggie and you are good. 

We make something similar called "mince and onions". I love it over mashed potatoes with green beans on the side. Yum.

I also make upside down Shepard's pie the same way. Just add mixed veggies to the gravy and top with shredded cheese if you want.

Homemade hamburger helper type meals go over well here. Cheeseburger Mac, skillet lasagna, chili Mac, stroganoff, cottage potatoes with hamburger gravy...

We do many things similar to what has already been mentioned, but I will also throw out the idea of BBQ meatballs https://www.thepioneerwoman.com/food-cooking/recipes/a11723/bbq-meatballs-comfort-food-to-the-max/

I use a small can of tomato sauce, instead of ketchup (because DH does not like ketchup). And I heat the sauce in the same pan that I used for the meatballs, before pouring it over them. I usually pair it with creamy orzo ( I add butter, parmesan, and some cream to cooked orzo), but you could do rice or potatoes.

My kids love this. In fact, DD18 asked me to make it as one of her last meals before leaving for college.

1 hour ago, domestic_engineer said:
  • <snip>
  • korean style beef (although you may not have gojuchang on hand for this recipe, although this recipe may work

<snip>

The bolded is a recipe we use a lot, from Damn Delicious. (That is one of the first sites I go to for inspiration; we have liked or loved every recipe we have tried.)

I am sure it's not a great substitute for gojuchang, but we use Sriracha when it's called for. It's good enough, if not perfect and authentic. 🙂

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, marbel said:

The bolded is a recipe we use a lot, from Damn Delicious. (That is one of the first sites I go to for inspiration; we have liked or loved every recipe we have tried.)

I am sure it's not a great substitute for gojuchang, but we use Sriracha when it's called for. It's good enough, if not perfect and authentic. 🙂

if you use Siracha, then throw in a bag of Cole slaw mix in for 5 minutes and you'll get crack slaw, which is also super yummy!  you get your veggies too!

ETA:  Damn Delicious is a great site, I agree! 

Edited by domestic_engineer
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

if you use Siracha, then throw in a bag of Cole slaw mix in for 5 minutes and you'll get crack slaw, which is also super yummy!  you get your veggies too!

ETA:  Damn Delicious is a great site, I agree! 

Yes, we do crack slaw here too. Super simple and delicious. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

I just googled to see what keema is, and it looks delicious!  Do you have a preferred recipe for making it?

I know one has been offered, but our favorite keema recipe is https://wellnessmama.com/5228/pakistani-kima/

I love that it's all in one pot, and I don't have to do anything else.  Makes yummy leftovers, too.

• Thanks 1

I'm sure you've already got last night's supper ready, but I have the weirdest recipe that my kids love. We call it "Meat Salad " and we came up with it in Israel. Meat runs about $8/lb in Israel and I came up with this as a way to stretch it, but it ended up being a huge hit.

First, saute about a pound of meat.

Then, roast either a few eggplants or the equivalent weight of zucchini. I go for about 0.5-1 lb per person.

Then, you basically make baba ganoush and mix in the sauteed meat (hamburger, cut up chicken, or whatever):

Cut up the roasted vegetables into small pieces and let them drain while you prepare the sauce.

For the sauce:

1/2 T tahini per person. Half that much lemon juice. A few cloves of garlic. Some salt, to taste. If you have a head or two of parsley, chop that up with the roasted vegetables.

Mix all ingredients together. Serve with bread, if you want, or a side salad of tomatoes and cucumbers. 😉 If you do not keep kosher, you can add in a cup or two of greek yogurt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, domestic_engineer said:

Korean beef bowls are a new favorite in our house and I've been using this recipe from Skinnytaste. Anyone planning to try it and thinking of skipping the gojuchang, don't. It might not be a necessary ingredient but it really makes the dish.  I usually serve it with sliced cucumber but am planning to make it Monday (I too have a pound of ground beef in the freezer) and am thinking of jicama fries or jicama fruit salad, or maybe just jicama sticks. Our produce delivery came today and includes a nice big jicama. I'm trying to decide where to put it in the week's meal plan. 

• Like 1

This is a little off-topic, but I think it's funny when people call it "hamburger" because I have always called it ground beef.  In my mind, a hamburger is a hamburger and ground beef is the main ingredient.  My DH will order pizza "with hamburger" and I think it's equally strange.  

• Like 2

It's probably too late now, but I'd vote for either sloppy joes (easiest), stuffed cabbage, or shepherd's pie.

I have a stuffed cabbage slow cooker receipt that is simple and amazing.  It's not actual cabbage rolls, but is like an "unstuffed" cabbage roll casserole.  Instead of cabbage leaves that you stuff, you pour a bag of cabbage coleslaw into the mix. 

I think hamburger is the same as minced beef?  

Next time you can try a South African recipe, called Bobotie.  

Ingredients

500g lean minced beef (about a pound)

2 onions, finely chopped

1 large clove garlic, crushed

1 carrot, grated

30ml (2T) oil

2 slices bread

250ml (1cup) milk

2 eggs

15ml (1T) mild curry powder

5ml (1t) turmeric

5ml (1t) ground cinnamon

2,5ml (1/2t) ground coriander

10ml (2t) salt

2,5ml (1/2t) pepper

30ml (2T) wine or vinegar or lemon juice

125ml (1/2cup) seedless raisins

45ml (3T) chutney

Cooking method

1. Preheat the oven to 180oC (350°F)

2. Heat the oil in a large pan and fry the onions, garlic and carrot.  Set aside.

3. Brown the minced beef and break up lumps with a fork.

4. Soak the bread in milk.

5. Add all the dry ingredients and the onions, garlic and carrots and mix well.

6. Squeeze the milk from the bread and reserve it.

7. Mash the bread and add to the mixture. 

8. Add 125ml (1/2cup) of the milk and reserve the rest.

9. Add 1 egg and mix well.

10. Spoon the mixture into a greased oven dish and spread the mixture.

11. Mix the remaining egg and milk and pour over the mixture.

12. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes or until the egg and milk mixture on top is firm.

13. Serve with rice and chutney.

T=Table spoon t=teaspoon

You can make a vegetarian bobotie by adding 1 cup of grated butternut to the mixture and substituting 2 cups of cooked brown lentils for the mince.

• Thanks 1