Menu

Ideas to fly more safely

lewelma

My son leaves tomorrow for the USA. He lands in CA, has to walk through the airport, and pick up his bags. He will get a ride from a friend to the hotel. He has to check in, be in an elevator, sleep in his room, take a hotel shuttle to the airport, check in his bags, fly 5 hours across the country, get his bags, take an uber to his apartment.  His hotel is leaving rooms dead for 24 hours after a guest leaves. Then has a standard cleaner come in and then a Covid cleaner to wipe down doors, remotes, surfaces etc with disinfectant. 

Any non-obvious ideas to make this as safe as possible?  He will be wearing an N95 mask and goggles in the airport and on the plane. He will not eat on the plane. He will obviously use hand sanitizer a lot.  What else?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

Only things that we have been doing in similar situations are: wearing double masks (surgical mask plus cloth mask on top), avoiding elevator and climbing stairs whenever possible, keeping car windows open when possible.

Thanks! I'll see if avoiding the elevator is possible in the hotel.  He is in one uber so will recommend the rolled down windows.  It is a 15 minute drive from the airport.  He could take the train, but I understand that is worse.  I've purchased him an N95 mask for the plane trip, so I think it is better than surgical + cloth. 

We are in NZ so there has just not been much advice here on avoiding covid as we don't have it.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If he has access to sanitizing wipes, I would take those too, to wipe the airplane tray table etc., and the seat if it is leather. Some airlines have gone lax on cleaning. I think the risk of contract transmission is pretty low, but not impossible.

I thought that airlines are supposed to fog the plane with high grade disinfectant after each flight ... but, I could be wrong since I saw that news 2 months ago.

Edited by mathnerd

46 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

N95 is better than surgical + cloth. If he has the ability to have more than one, I would buy it as they are impossible to find here. I have had straps break unexpectedly, and having backups and supplies for other travel would be good.

We purchased him 50 N95s!  He will take them carry on in his violin case so they are not lost in the luggage!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If he has access to sanitizing wipes, I would take those too, to wipe the airplane tray table etc., and the seat if it is leather. Some airlines have gone lax on cleaning. I think the risk of contract transmission is pretty low, but not impossible.

Ah, didn't think of that.  AirNZ will not have Covid on the plane, but the flight to Boston will.  So I will find some wipes to carry on. Thanks!

2 hours ago, lewelma said:

My son leaves tomorrow for the USA. He lands in CA, has to walk through the airport, and pick up his bags. He will get a ride from a friend to the hotel. He has to check in, be in an elevator, sleep in his room, take a hotel shuttle to the airport, check in his bags, fly 5 hours across the country, get his bags, take an uber to his apartment.  His hotel is leaving rooms dead for 24 hours after a guest leaves. Then has a standard cleaner come in and then a Covid cleaner to wipe down doors, remotes, surfaces etc with disinfectant. 

Any non-obvious ideas to make this as safe as possible?  He will be wearing an N95 mask and goggles in the airport and on the plane. He will not eat on the plane. He will obviously use hand sanitizer a lot.  What else?

He's not going to eat? Isn't that a long flight? Surely he'll need to drink to avoid dehydration. 

• Like 1

If he has a choice of seats I heard some MDs talking about the window seat is safer because you only have people on one side of you.  

I would stay as hydrated as possible.  I would pack plenty of snacks.  He may run into few places open within the airport or at his destination--or he might want to avoid the places that are open if they are crowded.  As others have mentioned, I would avoid elevators, if possible.  I would try to board things like the airport shuttle at the last possible moment (instead of sitting waiting to leave) if at all possible.  Any waiting that I could do (such as waiting for a shuttle) I would do outdoors.  

• Like 3

This is in response to a previous post. Airlines have cut back in cleaning, as I mentioned. Southwest no longer cleans armrests and seatbelts between flights. They are using a microbial spray that lasts for 30 days and other measures. It’s a lot of theater but not a lot of specifics... Presumably, multiple contacts throughout the day would erode or degrade a light spray on a surface. Google your airline for current cleaning protocols....
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.travelandleisure.com/airlines-airports/southwest/southwest-airlines-coronavirus-cleaning%3famp=true

• Like 1

Some clean cloths / pillow case to have his own washed items by his head.  Cleaning wipes for his suitcase etc. 

more than one extra mask — possibly one cloth one that is comfortable to wear in hotel room even if only 60% or so filtration .  (And in addition to CV19, some parts of Calif may have smoke from fires). I’d consider double mask for when in public areas if he could still breathe okay.  

Vitamin D, C, Quercitin + zinc, selenium , possibly melatonin for jet lag and immune health ...   (I assume Ivermectin and HCQ are out of bounds in NZ)   Take a look at Math+ protocols for “prophylaxis” amounts suggested for items it mentions.  (Selenium can be from Brazil nuts which would also be a good snack.) 

Maybe an engrossing book kept in a clear plastic bag when not needing to turn pages...

Ways to keep well hydrated with minimal mask removal (straws?) under level mask with a straw hole?, healthy as possible fast snacks... Beef jerky? Nuts? 

Wash his face when he can, not just hands.  Consider a saline rinse like XClear for nose (could help reduce airplane dryness also) and or gargle for mouth / throat.  Consider some zinc as lozenges. 

Some may be unhelpful or “overkill” but it would probably not help his school year to get sick on way there. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 2

We recently flew Delta and a week later United. Both airlines cleaned the planes between flights, and both handed out sani wipes as we boarded and collected them within a few minutes. Both airlines boarded first class, military, etc first but the rest of us boarded the back of the plane first and deplaned from the front a row at a time. It was the least chaotic boarding   I have ever experienced.

United only gave out small bottles of water, nothing else. Delta was handing out small ziplock bags with small bottle of water, cookies , and sani wipes. 

I actually felt safer and cleaner on the plane than in the airport with people coming and going constantly while we waited to board. No one was  wiping down the seats at the gates. 

We have been home for two weeks, neither my husband nor myself are sick. 

Edited by KatieinMich
  • Like 7

I think with those precautions he'll be fine! DH is an airline pilot and rides in the back of planes a lot to get to his base. He hasn't gotten Covid and surprisingly very few aircrew in his company that we know about have either. The planes should be fine, the airport is a bit harder but if he has saniwipes or something with him and he's careful he should be ok! There are still 1.5 million fewer people flying domestically than the same day last year (and that number includes all aircrew that are screened). https://www.tsa.gov/coronavirus/passenger-throughput so hopefully that puts you at ease.

While the news shows airports being hectic the passenger throughput is much less than normal and unless it's a hub it probably won't be heaving full. I hope he has an uneventful flight!

• Like 6

If motel has room service for meals, using that could decrease yet more elevator rides etc. 

Our area has been having some international and out of state students arriving in the last few weeks (or at least so I’ve been told) and we are nowhere near the hub for that that Boston or whatever city in Calif he will be in are.  I would think that CV19 strains from Spain, Italy, UK, Asia, Brazil... are all probably mingling with American ones now.  I Don know if that matters, but it seems like it might. For example, maybe some people who think they may have had CV19 back earlier in year are right, and maybe they had some protection from that for air travel for a couple of months, but maybe now there will be different strains to contend with. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

I am watching this thread with interest.  We have to take a long international flight + a short domestic flight in a couple of weeks.  4-hour layover in between.  DH and I spent a loooong time picking out seats to maximize distance from other passengers, and we will all be wearing KN95 masks and face shields throughout the trip.  We also chose flights that put our layover at a time/day when the airport is likely to be the emptiest.

There will be no way to avoid eating and drinking during the trip, though (especially for the kids), nor using the bathroom.  DS15 suffers terribly from airsickness and is extremely worried that he will have to take off his mask to throw up.  I have gotten him airsickness medication but we're not sure it will work.

I am really not keen on making this trip but we have no choice.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, QueenCat said:

He's not going to eat? Isn't that a long flight? Surely he'll need to drink to avoid dehydration. 

The others were right.  It is the 5 hour flight to Boston where he won't eat (or likely drink knowing my ds).  AirNZ won't have covid.  He is supposed to wear a mask but can remove it to eat. 

There is a small sandwich shop and carry out restaurant in the hotel, so he will eat dinner at the hotel.  He is meeting one of his friends at the hotel, so they will likely hang out outside as it will be warm and there is a park right next door.  

He is likely the only one on the shuttle as he has to order it because they are only running it when requested. 

I had not realized that the airport was dirtier than the airplane. Thanks for bringing that up.  I might get him to wear the disposable gloves I bought him while he is in the airport.  

I am concerned about the elevator, but maybe he holds his breath.  🙂  I'll check the stair situation for the hotel. 

In Boston, he will order uber eats for food, or perhaps a grocery store delivery while in quarantine.  There are 5 in the flat, so all will be quarantining.  He will get a covid test at MIT medical, and once he is clear, he can stop the quarantine.  He won't have it unless he gets it on the Boston flight or in either airport.  

What about the hotel room?  Anything special to do there?

Edited by lewelma

Just had a flight last week.  It was very clean.  We flew United and their process for cleaning the plane was well done.  I did take a few drinks from my water bottle.  I just slipped it under the chin part of my mask.  We did have wipes for the chairs and hand sanitizer.  Both flights, they were making sure everyone kept their masks on unless actively eating/drinking. The boarding procedure was well done and the best I have ever had.  Much better than going through security.  I did take socks to use when taking my shoes off and swapped them out after security.  Instead of gloves, just have him used some hand wipes often as I noticed those with gloves were touching more in the airport than those without.  

• Like 2

IMHO the ride in the elevator has the most risk. Followed by the rides in cars and the ride in the hotel shuttle.    I read an article, about 2 weeks ago, that indicated travel in Civil Turbojet aircraft has very low risk of one getting COVID-19, if they wear their mask and take the other recommended precautions.

Question: Why won't he eat on the aircraft? If they serve food I suggest that he take advantage of that and eat it.   Or, that after clearing Security, he purchase food and drink before going to the Departure Gate for his flights.

Another question: During the past few days Auckland, NZ was in the international news for a COVID-19 outbreak?

• Like 1

I agree with bringing straws to hydrate without taking off his mask completely. And he definitely needs to hydrate NZ to CA, but I'd do it in moderation. Hydrated mucous membranes will offer better immune protection, but don't hydrate so much he's using the bathroom all the time. 

Sanitizing wipes to wipe down knobs and handles in the hotel. 

Maybe the most important thing is being aware of when he needs to use hand sanitizer and getting in the habit of not touching his face--have some tissues to pull out in case his eye gets itchy or something. This has been a learning curve for my teens.

Bag clothing worn on the flight and in hotel to launder upon arrival. 

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 1

Wearing an N95 in the elevator should make it pretty safe.

If you put some food in your mouth, not breathing while you do it, and then pull your mask back on while you eat it, should be safer. I just realized that at work yesterday lol and tried it. I was wearing a surgical mask though, not an N95 so don’t know what that’s like.

I don’t think gloves really do anything to help keep you safer, as you can still contaminate yourself, although I guess you might be more likely not to touch your face with gloves on. Hand sanitizing will help the most. Maybe come up with a plan for specific times to use hand sanitizer?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lanny said:

Question: Why won't he eat on the aircraft? If they serve food I suggest that he take advantage of that and eat it.   Or, that after clearing Security, he purchase food and drink before going to the Departure Gate for his flights.

Another question: During the past few days Auckland, NZ was in the international news for a COVID-19 outbreak?

He won't eat because he is a reptile.  🙂 He only eats twice a day and usually about 6 hours apart, then fasts for 18. So a 5 hour flight when he is jet lagged by 16 hours won't be a problem.

As for the 'outbreak' -- well, kind of.  Auckland has had 110 cases in 16 days. And it is now ring fenced and completely under control. They locked a city of 1.5 million down (stay at home order and no schools or shops) for 2.5 weeks after finding 1 family of 4 with it, and they did this within 5 hours of the positive test coming back. They then tested 10% of the entire city in 7 days, and contact traced 2000+ people.  We are expected to get back to elimination status in about a week or 2 depending on how long the tail of 1 or 2 cases is (these will be family members of the positives, and they are on strict self quarantine orders).  The rest of NZ still has covid eliminated.  So none where we are for 120 days now.

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 6

15 hours ago, lewelma said:

He won't eat because he is a reptile.  🙂 He only eats twice a day and usually about 6 hours apart, then fasts for 18. So a 5 hour flight when he is jet lagged by 16 hours won't be a problem.

As for the 'outbreak' -- well, kind of.  Auckland has had 110 cases in 16 days. And it is now ring fenced and completely under control. They locked a city of 1.5 million down (stay at home order and no schools or shops) for 2.5 weeks after finding 1 family of 4 with it, and they did this within 5 hours of the positive test coming back. They then tested 10% of the entire city in 7 days, and contact traced 2000+ people.  We are expected to get back to elimination status in about a week or 2 depending on how long the tail of 1 or 2 cases is (these will be family members of the positives, and they are on strict self quarantine orders).  The rest of NZ still has covid eliminated.  So none where we are for 120 days now.

From what I have read, passengers aboard a Civil Turbojet aircraft, who wear a mask and who follow the normal precautions that are recommended, have very little risk of catching COVID-19 on the aircraft. The Filters and the Airflow within the cabin help with that.

However, the COVID-19 here in Colombia began with one (1) passenger who arrived on a flight from Spain. It only takes one... 

For the very long flight from NZ to CA, especially if it is a "nonstop" flight, they tend to fly at higher altitudes. There is something your DS should be aware of and this is another reason that he should eat well and stay hydrated.  It is called "Ozone poisoning"

NOTE: He should NOT drink anything aboard an aircraft that is made with water, unless he opens the bottle or can it comes out of.

Possibly he can have some extremely inexpensive disposable plastic gloves, for when he needs to touch the buttons in the hotel elevator and other things that he must touch that are possibly contaminated.

I hope your DS has a fine trip to the USA and that everything goes perfectly!

• Like 1

One idea regarding the elevator: I work on the top floor of an 8 story office building and always take the stairs up and down. But one day when I was leaving, an older co-worker was waiting for the elevator to ride down. When the elevator doors opened, she pulled out a can of Lysol and sprayed down the inside of the elevator before getting in. I thought that was a pretty good way of handling the elevator when you need to take it. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PinkTulip said:

One idea regarding the elevator: I work on the top floor of an 8 story office building and always take the stairs up and down. But one day when I was leaving, an older co-worker was waiting for the elevator to ride down. When the elevator doors opened, she pulled out a can of Lysol and sprayed down the inside of the elevator before getting in. I thought that was a pretty good way of handling the elevator when you need to take it. 

It's actually more helpful for the next people who take the elevator, as it usually takes two to five minutes to disinfect (time depends on specific product).  

• Like 3