Menu

My USPS annoyance for today...

I really wish that if the postal employee doesn't have mail to deliver to me, they would still check the mailbox.  Our house is on a walking route (I had no idea they still had those till I moved here) so our mailbox is right by the front door.  And, being mounted to our outside wall, it doesn't have a little flag on it like a curbside box does.  In addition, our box happens to be on a side wall of our little front door alcove....and because the postal employee approaches our house from that direction, even if we could put a little flag or so on it, it wouldn't be seen unless it was being specifically checked for.  And if they were specifically checking for that.........they would already see that yes there is mail there waiting to be picked up!

I really wish those birthday cards had gone out today.  

Our postal carrier walks to our front door as well and our box is on a side wall, but it is visible from the street.  I usually open the lid on my mailbox and tuck the letters behind it.  If I have several I put them in a bag and hang it from the rack under the box.  I never put outgoing mail in the box.  Mostly I don’t trust them to look down into the box.  If you have the same carrier most of the time, maybe you could put outgoing mail in a bag on your doorknob where he could see it from the sidewalk.

C9F5C83B-B47D-4B0D-B9E5-9D5DBE5AB605.jpeg

Edited by Mom2mthj
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Our postal carrier walks to our front door as well.  I usually open the lid on my mailbox and tuck the letters behind it.  If I have several I put them in a bag and hang it from the rack under the box.  I never put outgoing mail in the box.

C9F5C83B-B47D-4B0D-B9E5-9D5DBE5AB605.jpeg

Our box is horizontal rather than vertical.  I place the outgoing mail vertically, so that it props the lid up.  So although the outgoing mail in in the box, it actually is similar to what you show here....the letters are still visible, the lid is halfway open.  The problem is, that is not facing the mail person as he/she approaches the house.  They would have to stop at our front door and turn to look to see that.  

So imagine our alcove is U shaped.  And the box is on the left side of the U.  The postal person approaches from the left side.  So they have to be in front of the opening, and then turn back to check the left side of that alcove to see that the box is open.

We have a long residential driveway, so I use a clothespin to attach outgoing mail to our box for maximum visibility. The pin just lives inside the box when not actively fulfilling its postal duty.

Doesn't sound like that would fix your problem though! Do you have a lamp post at the end of your walk? I wonder if you could attach something there? I would ask first, though, on account of possible postal regulations. We can't just have people leaving mail fluttering all over town!

• Like 1

Can he see your front door from the street without going up the walk?  Maybe some sort of cute holder that hangs over the doorknob that you could stand your letters up in?  I had a quilted fabric pouch with a handle to put over a doorknob to hold Christmas cards at one point. 

Wow. Around here if you did that, your mail would get stolen--actually the delivered mail would also get stolen out of the box.  Everything we send out gets driven to the nearest blue mailbox.

4 minutes ago, Mom2mthj said:

Can he see your front door from the street without going up the walk?  Maybe some sort of cute holder that hangs over the doorknob that you could stand your letters up in?  I had a quilted fabric pouch with a handle to put over a doorknob to hold Christmas cards at one point. 

They don't walk from the street (we have multiple carriers through the week....I think they are all part time, cause I see the same 3 people, but I don't know which person works which day each week.)   They walk through the front yards.  One of them stepped on some of my plants once cutting across the front bed.  

I could maybe make some sort of flag to hang in the yard in their path....

5 minutes ago, EKS said:

Wow. Around here if you did that, your mail would get stolen--actually the delivered mail would also get stolen out of the box.  Everything we send out gets driven to the nearest blue mailbox.

People in your area are bold enough to walk right up to the front door to steal mail?  That's pretty bold....I don't know that I would feel comfortable living in a place where people have no issue walking right up to the front door to steal mail on a regular basis.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

They don't walk from the street (we have multiple carriers through the week....I think they are all part time, cause I see the same 3 people, but I don't know which person works which day each week.)   They walk through the front yards.  One of them stepped on some of my plants once cutting across the front bed.  

I could maybe make some sort of flag to hang in the yard in their path....

Our lots are just a bit wide for walking the whole route so they drive from house to house and walk up to each house.  A bit over from us the neighborhood has straighter streets and a bit narrower lots so they do what you say...park the truck and walk across the grass.  In the winter they go back to driving house to house.  I guess some mail flag in their path would work.

54 minutes ago, happysmileylady said:

People in your area are bold enough to walk right up to the front door to steal mail?  That's pretty bold....I don't know that I would feel comfortable living in a place where people have no issue walking right up to the front door to steal mail on a regular basis.

I agree!  I actually like that our house has mail on the porch...our old house had a box at the street.  The street box seemed easier to sneak stuff out of without anyone noticing, not that anyone did as far as I know.  Anymore so many people have ring doorbells that it would be hard to get away with much.  I am much more likely to have the mailman deliver stuff to the wrong house.

Edited by Mom2mthj
1 hour ago, happysmileylady said:

Rural.  The mailboxes are out at the street.  

If I tried to do that (place letter to be sent in, on, around, or anywhere near the mailbox), it would be completely ignored. If the letter carrier actually came, they would simply add mail to whatever is already there. Assuming that the mail was actually addressed to us in the first place.

In the last two weeks, we have had mail delivered exactly 3 times. Our next door neighbor has had no mail for 5 days, then received one day, and now - nothing since (3 days). I finally actually saw a letter carrier two days ago and asked about our mail. No sorry, he doesn't have anything for me. Nevermind that the mail dashboard shows me new mail scanned daily. I don't mind so much with junk mail, but we are still missing the vehicle registration envelope that was scanned to the dashboard nearly 2 weeks ago. I hope it comes.

When attempting to call the post office, it turns out that the phone number listed on the official USPS website is actually wrong. The person answering the phone sweetly gave me the real number. She gets these calls frequently. Calling the post office with the correct number, the line rings out with no voice mail and disconnects. When I finally get someone to pick up, the person on the other end says there is nothing at the post office, and that we must have gotten the mail. No, we did not. Well, it must be coming today. Sigh.

I would consider thinking that perhaps the mail was stolen, but I am home most of the day, and I normally see the mail truck. Our neighbors have not gotten mail either, not even circulars from the grocery store or anything.

I just hope that maybe our regular mail carrier is out on vacation or something and will come back and life will get back to normal. 😞

• Confused 1
4 hours ago, RosemaryAndThyme said:

If I tried to do that (place letter to be sent in, on, around, or anywhere near the mailbox), it would be completely ignored. If the letter carrier actually came, they would simply add mail to whatever is already there. Assuming that the mail was actually addressed to us in the first place.

In the last two weeks, we have had mail delivered exactly 3 times. Our next door neighbor has had no mail for 5 days, then received one day, and now - nothing since (3 days). I finally actually saw a letter carrier two days ago and asked about our mail. No sorry, he doesn't have anything for me. Nevermind that the mail dashboard shows me new mail scanned daily. I don't mind so much with junk mail, but we are still missing the vehicle registration envelope that was scanned to the dashboard nearly 2 weeks ago. I hope it comes.

When attempting to call the post office, it turns out that the phone number listed on the official USPS website is actually wrong. The person answering the phone sweetly gave me the real number. She gets these calls frequently. Calling the post office with the correct number, the line rings out with no voice mail and disconnects. When I finally get someone to pick up, the person on the other end says there is nothing at the post office, and that we must have gotten the mail. No, we did not. Well, it must be coming today. Sigh.

I would consider thinking that perhaps the mail was stolen, but I am home most of the day, and I normally see the mail truck. Our neighbors have not gotten mail either, not even circulars from the grocery store or anything.

I just hope that maybe our regular mail carrier is out on vacation or something and will come back and life will get back to normal. 😞

After 2 weeks, I would assume it was delivered to the wrong house. Just call the vehicle registration office and request a new one, or go on line and do it there. 

Most POs are greatly (!) limiting service and are not allowing any OT. If you are near the end of the route, your mail may be piling up somewhere. I don't want to get political, so I will just say I think the crappy delivery lately was intended as a ploy in recent decision being made in the government. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I learn something new about the US every day.  Here you get mail delivered but if you want to send stuff you have to put it in one of the red post boxes they don’t pick it up from your mail box.  

I just learned the same thing.

I have to take the mail to the post office to be posted 

• Like 1

Our neighborhood has seen what looks like random mail dumps left in the grass. The mail doesn't have addresses in our neighborhood, but in several different ones and seems only to happen when we have a substitute carrier. Some of the mail pictured was from banks and governmental agencies. We're not sure if it's theft or problems with delivery.

• Confused 1
10 hours ago, wilrunner said:

Our neighborhood has seen what looks like random mail dumps left in the grass. The mail doesn't have addresses in our neighborhood, but in several different ones and seems only to happen when we have a substitute carrier. Some of the mail pictured was from banks and governmental agencies. We're not sure if it's theft or problems with delivery.

My daughter lives on a military base. A fellow spouse found a tote of mail on the ground. When she found and confronted the carrier, he said his truck was too full 😠 His solution was to dump the tote. 

We always wondered why she got so many mis-deliveries.....at that moment, we knew why.  (Yes, it was reported)

• Confused 1
On 8/24/2020 at 11:59 PM, happysmileylady said:

I really wish that if the postal employee doesn't have mail to deliver to me, they would still check the mailbox.  Our house is on a walking route (I had no idea they still had those till I moved here) so our mailbox is right by the front door.  And, being mounted to our outside wall, it doesn't have a little flag on it like a curbside box does.  In addition, our box happens to be on a side wall of our little front door alcove....and because the postal employee approaches our house from that direction, even if we could put a little flag or so on it, it wouldn't be seen unless it was being specifically checked for.  And if they were specifically checking for that.........they would already see that yes there is mail there waiting to be picked up!

I really wish those birthday cards had gone out today.  

Postmen don't usually pick up post from homes here (Scotland).  It took Husband a while to get used to that.  There's usually a pillar box or wall slot within walking distance if you live in a town or village; I think they may pick up from you if you live really remotely and they are stopping at your house anyway.

8 hours ago, Tap said:

My daughter lives on a military base. A fellow spouse found a tote of mail on the ground. When she found and confronted the carrier, he said his truck was too full 😠 His solution was to dump the tote. 

We always wondered why she got so many mis-deliveries.....at that moment, we knew why.  (Yes, it was reported)

That is crazy! We haven't fully moved to online statements, but I spoke with dh last night and we decided we will use online statements for everything we can. We'd talked about it years ago and decided against it because we wanted easy access to our paper statements. It's too dangerous to not know where our statements and bills might end up or who might use them for nefarious purposes.